Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Zen and Motorcycle Maintenance (1 Viewer)

modified7

My reading time is typically alloted for when I am at work, on one of my two jobs.....it takes longer but has allowed for some good reading.
Today I started Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance...... so far I think I'm going to like it........I'm expecting great things.
Any of you read it?

wmd

I have made a mental note to read it since I have heard so many people mention it. When it has been mentioned no one says what it is about though...

what is it about?

J

jlcjrbal

I have read it once but it was quite a while back. It was good although I still know nothing about motorcycle repair

S

stripes

the book isn't so much about motorcycle repair - it uses motorcycle repair almost by example, as a device by which to approach the idea of Zen. I knew nothing about it, and I still know nothing about it, and maybe understanding something about motorcycles or cars or machines in general would have given me a keener insight into the book, but I still found it moving, enlightening and unique.

Z

zebedee

I read it years ago and it made a huge impression on me at the time, left me feeling spiritually uplifted in a non God bothering way.

I wonder if it seems culturally dated now, IIRC, it was a book very much of it's time. I shall have to dig my copy out sometime.

Salad

I'm reading that book right now actually. It's really interesting. I'm not into motorcycles, but I find it quite nifty that most of his philosophical rants he always ties into motorcycling. Very cool book. I also like that line from it- 'Truth knocks on your door, but you say 'Go away, I'm looking for truth' ' (paraphrase)

lythande

I read that in high school (recommended from a friend). I remember at that time I thought it was well above average. Re-read again a couple years ago, nothing special stuck out this time. I think zebedee might have a point about being culturally deflated