Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

your help is requested{change.org petition} (1 Viewer)

kunox

I need help because I got an insane dea that has throne me into hypomania. I want help crafting a well thought out change.org petition. To petition good reads to start using user generated tags for books. The way steam does for video games. I like this idea and literally think there is nothing I can lose by proposing it. I was wondering if I could colab with a few of you to craft an argument for this. the best argument I can so to speak. I may need to figure out a list of tags that would be applicable like.. story mood.... character archetypes... tropes.... supporting or main character and so on. I will be posting it by next week but thought it may help to get fed back and speed ball ideas/a list of types of tags that would be be applicable to books or fiction in general... ty for your time.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I wish I could help. Make an argument that centers on what goodreads is good for. Which is finding good reads, or works you'd enjoy with a certain plot (trope) and that has characters (archetypes) readers will like to read. Let me know if you need something bigger than that. That's my contribution so far. I'd need to do more research.

Consider the pros and cons of such a task:

Does everyone know the archetypes?

Does everyone know the tropes?

That's a problem. You need to do research. I pmed you something about two books you can try to research that. It's soul exhausting work. Make a summary of each book. That's the only way.

Last edited:

kunox

I wish I could help. Make an argument that centers on what goodreads is good for. Which is finding good reads, or works you'd enjoy with a certain plot (trope) and that has characters (archetypes) readers will like to read. Let me know if you need something bigger than that. That's my contribution so far. I'd need to do more research.

Consider the pros and cons of such a task:

Does everyone know the archetypes?

Does everyone know the tropes?

That's a problem. You need to do research. I pmed you something about two books you can try to research that. It's soul exhausting work. Make a summary of each book. That's the only way.

Thanks.. That really helped...

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I saw a list of books on archetypes but these are meant for psychologists.

https://scottjeffrey.com/archetypes-psychology/

He has a list of over 300 archetypes without descriptions. For example the detective, the entertainer, trickster, king, and so on. He has a reading list. If you want to do a thorough job you might need to read most of it. It's the best I have been able to do. I haven't tried buying them since some of them like carl jung's book and this other one are out of my budget for this month. I am focusing on getting a prowriting aid as a subscription. I used my money to buy a Christmas present. I would have maybe. But I bought the music device I own for exercise (depression and to control the side effects of my medicine which gave me metabolic syndrome since I haven't been exercising).

Good luck.

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
Hey kunox ... may I DM you? I know there's a setting, but I want explicit consent.

kunox

sorry... I had to go to the doctor today but I got 29 minsa then I will pound out a basic draft...

kunox

proposal first draft....

Hello there. Have you ever wanted to find something in a niche category or genre of interest {book wise} but couldn’t find exactly what you wanted? Ever feel like there are too many books and it’s hard to boil down to exactly what you are looking for. This has been a problem with finding books on site like good reads forever now. It’s a problem that I think has a solution that comes from the website called steam.
All I want is for good reads to make the good reads community able to add tags like there are tags for games on steam. For example, if you want a dark humor rpg in an anime style on steam you type those things in and you get a list of over 30 something games.
Why would you need this?
The idea is to help users on good reads find exactly what they are want8ng to read or research. This is vurtialy impossible task for a staff to do but with a dedicated user base there could be a lot of really cool and useful tags that the end user can think up that would be applicable for. I.e male or female lead character, story mood, secondary characters, character archetype{I.e kunoichi, wizard, solider}{or think Carl Jung style archetypes, plus others}, genre of book{just in case the book is between two genres that aren’t listed or a genre that is obscure like Amish romance}

So in the end all I want is for good reads to add the same kind of tagging style system to itself that steam has but make it user generated so they don’t have to take on the herculean task of tagging all of the books. Ty for your time

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Almost perfect. I saw just one mistake. You put want8ing. Other than that it seems like a good proposal. Just make sure you emphasis what you want from the user tags if pre-made user created content to include archetypes.