Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Your first memories with WF (1 Viewer)

candid petunia

Retired Supervisor
We have all been there; new, trying to fit in, (and if you're like me) being over-whelmed by the vastness of the site. Of course the site doesn't seem that huge now because we got used to it. But in the beginning, I would stick to a specific forum for days before I decided to venture out again. It took me months to discover everything about the site, they were like portals that opened themselves to me time after time.

Poetry was my first visit when I joined. I believe a Challenge had just been started and the OP read,
"apple has decided the theme for the next challenge: Nerds. You may approach the prompt in any way you wish..."
or something to that effect. WF was my first forum, I didn't know much about how things worked. I remember thinking, "Hey, they have a challenge from Apple! They probably have free iPhones for the winners. This site is so cool!"

I learned later that apple was in fact a member, and not the corporation as I had assumed. I was just thinking about it yesterday and it made me smile. :)

What are your first memories with WF?

Psst captain, could I have a free iPhone? Or should I ask apple?

Last edited:

Fin

A Retired Nobody
WF Veterans
I'm newer to the site, so my memory is much easier to remember. Saw the LM competitions, loved them, joined the site, asked to judge, and have been doing the same exact thing every month since then.

moderan

WF Veterans
JoeB got snotty cuz I don't like REM and The Cure. Then I got into a long conversation about the science in science fiction. And I got mad about a certain niche genre being classed as fanfic. Little has changed, and everything has changed.

B

Baron

Going head to head with Selorian over the banning of a certain member is the most prominent memory for me. Then I found myself in his position and learned the hard way that he was right.

CP, you'll have to ask Apple :)

Potty

WF Veterans
Gumby was my first memory of WF. She told me off in the politest way possible when I included a link in my introductory post. Love you, honorary mum!

Sam

General
Patron
Getting flamed out by Truth Teller, our resident bovine, and Mike C.

I actually joined the site in early 2007, with the user-name McKayRhoades087. They were the surnames of my two main characters and the number of chapters in my first novel. I was flamed that time as well, more extensively, and left soon after. I returned in early 2008 and chose the user-name I have today. A couple of years later, Selorian stumbled upon a piece of work I'd posted as McKayRhoades087 and noticed the characters and storyline were identical to one I'd posted as Sam W. Let's just say that's not a conversation I ever want to have again. I had to email him my entire first novel as proof that I hadn't stolen the idea from someone else and plagiarised it.

Fun times. :)

dolphinlee

I fell in love with the site after half an hour of exploring.
Here were people asking questions and getting good answers and humerous answers.
Here were people who were posting their work and getting encouraging comments.

I signed up, and have never regretted it.

So my first memory was how positive the site was and what a potential gold mine of information it could me if I took the trouble to look.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Very first thing that I was invited to WF for was a RPG that a friend (from my online writing class) who was all excited about and I had to ask what one was. The RPG tanked after the first couple of pages, my friend lost interest in WF, and I was fascinated by the bustling activity. After the much smaller writer's sites I'd been on this was like going from Podunk, USA to New York City. I remember Val (Site Manager at the time) PM'ing me the one warning I've ever received (for not taking a chatty conversation to PM), and mixing it up with Hodge in the debate forum. I had no idea that he was Master Debater at the time and just had the time of my life debunking his arguments in that first thread in a comedic way. I remember 'Blossom's New RPG' that never did get a better name but still went strong for a couple of years. I remember discovering the Workshop and LM and starting to improve my writing while having fun doing it. Chris Miller has always been a keystone member there as long as I've been on WF.

Elvenswordsman

WF Veterans
I feel old. I can barely remember my join date, much less the original memories. Most of my old posts have also been erased (just after my return earlier this year), so the oldest post of mine that I can find is... Huh? You caught me lying... I don't know which of my posts were removed, but apparently I still have some stuff from 2005 when I joined. Feel free to read below, as that was my initial reply, I'll also post based on this new bit of information. His name was Hodge, btw.

I remember being intimidated by seeing so many writers also posting, it was cool to see other writers were also using online forums. I was only thirteen when I joined, and of course being the "mature" writer that I was, I got into fights immediately with people, and whether it is his name or not, Hobbs comes to mind. Debates were my entry, but I had been trying (since I was eleven) to write a fantasy novel similar to the content David B. Coe writes (he got me into reading and writing around that age).

Next, I remember SlayerofAngels - my "cowriter" who, at the time, was also quite active on the forum. Unfortunately (unless I've been tricked) all of the old content we posted was removed in a sweep, as I can't find any of my older posts.

So I guess now the memories based off of looking at earlier stuff - I now know where my posts must have gone, as it seems I was quite an aggressive thirteen year old. My mom would be proud to see what I used to post, but my belief system is quite different today.

I should probably apologize to some of the people I confronted so long ago, but it was a while so let's just hope they dealt with it in a better way than I appeared to have.

I'm kind of hopeful that my story may still be online, but seeing as I haven't found it, I'll keep hope in check. I lost it when my computer crashed, so I'm writing a new one.

At any rate, my first impressions were offensive and hopeful at the first opportunity to post my work so others could help me round it out with their experience.

I'm glad I've had writing forums with me through my life (it turns out it's been with me for 35% of my entire life). It's been a blessing, and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to enjoy it throughout the years. Maybe someone can let me know why I might be missing some of my posts (as when I came back in April it was well over 500).

At any rate, thanks to WF. I'm not sure if any of the old crew is still around, but I'm certainly glad that I am, and will be, a WF'er for the foreseeable future.

(Will I be the oldest to comment on this thread?)

JosephB

In 2005 I wrote a short story -- just out of the blue. I joined WF, posted that one story, hung around for a few weeks at most. Didn't write another word for 2 years, then I came back and started posting stories in the Workshop. I don't think there's anyone here from my first stint. There are a few who are still around from the time of my return -- Foxee, Chris, Loulou, Eggo, Baron -- Alan, maybe? Ox was around then, I think. I had just started working at home and was kind of stir-crazy, getting used to being around the house all day with a 5 and 3 year old, so WF functioned as a good diversion and virtual water cooler.

(Will I be the oldest to comment on this thread?)

By one month -- so far.

Last edited:

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Heh, Hodge lives on, apparently. I used to call him Hobbes all the time by mistake, too, it was the avatar.

JosephB

JoeB got snotty cuz I don't like REM and The Cure. Then I got into a long conversation about the science in science fiction. And I got mad about a certain niche genre being classed as fanfic. Little has changed, and everything has changed.

Snotty? I'd defend REM for sure -- one of my favorite bands, but I don't care about the Cure all that much.

Elvenswordsman

WF Veterans
Heh, Hodge lives on, apparently. I used to call him Hobbes all the time by mistake, too, it was the avatar.

Haha if you see him again, tell him Elven's an atheist too, now. Maybe it was his fault? I'll have to tell my mom that, next time she asks me to go to church with her. "Hodge told me church is for fools."

Elvenswordsman

WF Veterans
OH! Solved the riddle of the missing posts. It seems that anything that was posted in "General Fiction" before 2010 is gone. So... Bye bye any piece of me that was posted in that section of the forum :|

DuKane

A teller of tall tales
Spent many weeks loitering in the shadows and dark corners having no confidence to join what seemed to be real writers who were much cleverer then me. It was garza who convinced me to join, when after searching through v old threads I came across a post where someone had asked, How do you become a writer? garza's answer, you write! That convinced me that this place wasn't all bad.
Of course once I joined I found out the real truth!!

Sam

General
Patron
Any posts before 2010 probably were lost in the site pruning which, coincidentally, happened in 2010. :)

Elvenswordsman

WF Veterans
Any posts before 2010 probably were lost in the site pruning which, coincidentally, happened in 2010. :)

I remember the timing... Was quite terrible, actually. I got back on, showed the piece to my girlfriend. Left it open on my computer, and thought "It'll be okay, I'll save it to my pc later." A couple days later (still open and able to be saved) I thought "I'll just refresh the page." ........ Gone. Couldn't get back to it, as it hadn't saved in my history.

Goes to show the value in taking action.