Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Your Feelings, Please (1 Viewer)

Turnbull

Basically I need some raw emotion of people who are not myself to work with. Say you have a game, and in the game is a character who was particularly cold towards humans. Not outright evil, but he participated in an attack on humans on an administrative level. He didn't make the decision, nor did he physically do it himself, but he was the overseer of the attack. So this game is really popular, and the gaming population all know who this guy is. Except it turns out that he's real, and the attack on humans did happen in an alternate timeline. The character is lost on Earth and isn't really a threat, but how exactly would you feel about this? Would you potentially be inclined to show mercy, or would you be on the angrier side?

KeganThompson

I don't know the POV or characters but wouldn't that depend on the individual and personality? Are you asking to know how your main character should react or a general population?

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I used too play Dungeon Master. How the people I played it with behaved turned out to be how they behaved in real life. I'd be wary of him.

Turnbull

I don't know the POV or characters but wouldn't that depend on the individual and personality? Are you asking to know how your main character should react or a general population?
I'm asking how YOU would react to him. Basically I need some alternate perspectives so that I can create individuals with individual feelings. I don't want all my characters to be the same.

I used too play Dungeon Master. How the people I played it with behaved turned out to be how they behaved in real life. I'd be wary of him.
Heh, I've never played Dungeon Master. In fact, I'm not 100% sure what that is. The character I have in mind is Aldaris from Starcraft.

Anything in particular? Would you be willing to let him stay and have a chance to be friendly, or would you immediately want him (or a character like him) to be called to account for his crimes?

K.S. Crooks

For me it depends on how many people died, how did they die. I would only hold the person responsible for their own actions and consider how much they could have prevented what happened.

Sir-KP

Only based on the information you given up there, I would be suspicious of that person.

Mostly because he's either someone who has cold heart or a really tough person that has integrity and determination towards his job despite his disagreement.

That's me though. I really can't show mercy or hate on someone based on very little information.

MooreMom523

Based on this description alone, I see no reason that mercy would be an emotion even on my radar. I would need to know more of his overall actions leading up into this point to determine if he has done anything that indicates mercy would be fitting. Honestly, I would probably look down on someone who could allow the attack to happen without intervening as a character/person who is weak and a pawn within their own game (assuming he really didn't have anything to do with the plan or execution as you state). The only thing that would be a saving grace of sorts would be my intrigue into why he let it happen, and what exactly he plans to do about it (if anything) now. It wouldn't be mercy that wanted to see him continue to run free, but a selfish interest in what he would or wouldn't do to right the situation.

Riptide

WF Veterans
So, he didn't do it, or press the button to do it, or make the decision.... But he was the overseer? What did he do? Just sit and watch? He made sure everything was in working order to accomplish the mission?

I'm extrapolating here, a little bit, but I'm an IT tech soldier overseas right now and the communication I maintain allows pple with more power than me to kill a lot of other pple. If I wasn't the main character of my story, I'd see me as the bad guy, looking at it from the other side. So, if it's something like this. Then yes. I would show some mercy.

Edit: depending on how cold he is, and some other factors. I'm a cheery person, so I don't think anyone would want to outright kill me

BornForBurning

Well, it's probably worth mentioning that Aldaris / Tassadar glassed Chau Sara because it was completely infested with Zerg. Protoss don't just run around killing Terrans for no reason. Ultimately, Tassadar made the right call in following his instincts and calling off the invasion, but in my opinion Aldaris' moral position is fairly benign. Yes, he was conservative to a fault. He was also the only person who CORRECTLY ascertained that Sarah Kerrigan should never, ever be cooperated with, under any circumstances. One of the interesting things about Starcraft is that there's actually quite a bit of nuance for a 90s space RTS. In vanilla, the conservative High Templar had to learn to accept the heretical Dark Templar; in Brood War, Kerrigan viciously exploits this new-found trust with diabolical results. Aldaris was obviously cold towards Terrans, but he wasn't a murderer or a sociopath, and with regards to his tendency towards conservatism, he wasn't even really wrong.

Turnbull

So, he didn't do it, or press the button to do it, or make the decision.... But he was the overseer? What did he do? Just sit and watch? He made sure everything was in working order to accomplish the mission?

I'm extrapolating here, a little bit, but I'm an IT tech soldier overseas right now and the communication I maintain allows pple with more power than me to kill a lot of other pple. If I wasn't the main character of my story, I'd see me as the bad guy, looking at it from the other side. So, if it's something like this. Then yes. I would show some mercy.

Edit: depending on how cold he is, and some other factors. I'm a cheery person, so I don't think anyone would want to outright kill me

What I mean is, Aldaris follows this group called the Conclave, and they told him and the people that work for him to go blow up a bunch of human worlds. They did this because these worlds were infested by the Zerg, a race of beings that want to infest or kill pretty much everything they can.

Well, it's probably worth mentioning that Aldaris / Tassadar glassed Chau Sara because it was completely infested with Zerg. Protoss don't just run around killing Terrans for no reason. Ultimately, Tassadar made the right call in following his instincts and calling off the invasion, but in my opinion Aldaris' moral position is fairly benign. Yes, he was conservative to a fault. He was also the only person who CORRECTLY ascertained that Sarah Kerrigan should never, ever be cooperated with, under any circumstances. One of the interesting things about Starcraft is that there's actually quite a bit of nuance for a 90s space RTS. In vanilla, the conservative High Templar had to learn to accept the heretical Dark Templar; in Brood War, Kerrigan viciously exploits this new-found trust with diabolical results. Aldaris was obviously cold towards Terrans, but he wasn't a murderer or a sociopath, and with regards to his tendency towards conservatism, he wasn't even really wrong.
Thank you for saying this. It's hard to get opinions when so few people these days seem to be into Starcraft's story (with SC2 the way it was, who can blame them?). I think Aldaris can be called out for his lack of mercy, and he and the Conclave really should have considered how humans would react to their actions. The Confederacy was keeping the Zerg under wraps, after all. Most people would have found out about the Protoss first, and not understand why the Protoss would just blow up planets. Allowing humans to have this impression was stupid on the Protoss' part.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
He doesn't strike me as worth the risk of dedicating any part of my life to his destruction, but he certainly is not someone I would seek out to befriend. My reaction would probably be to stay as far away as possible and ignore him as much as he would let me.