Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Your Favorite Book Of February (1 Viewer)

bambie1984

I've read four books this month:
  1. Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel
  2. Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling
  3. Cube Route by Piers Anthony
  4. The Obsidian Oracle; Book 4 of the Prism Pentad by Troy Denning
They were all really good books, but my favorite was Cube Route. I was looking for something different to read when I picked up this book. As much as I enjoy stories about noble elves and dark magicians, that scene does get a bit dull. I'd never read a book by Piers Anthony because, quite frankly, they looked rather boring. I guess it's true what they say: You can't judge a book by its cover. Cube Route is like Alice in Wonderland meets The Labyrinth. It's filled with paradoxes and witty puns. My favorite being the "rear"-view mirror.

Out of the books you've read this month, what was your favorite?

FloridaJay

Four books?! You must either read fast or have a lot of time on your hands (or I'm just slow).:p I've read only two this month: Cell by S. King and Wicked by Gregory Maguire. Both were well-written and I lost myself in the story, but Maguire's story of the Wicked Witch of the West was so descriptive it was like I was there. I'll give the thumbs up this month to Wicked.

bambie1984

If you think I read fast, my mom can go through a novel a day! Unless it's really long like the Harry Potter books, then it takes her two days. Of course, she's retired so she has that kind of time. By the way, love the avatar FloridaJay :wink:

Stewart

I've read little (for me) in February:

The Outsider, Albert Camus
Interpreter of Maladies, Jhumpa Lahiri
Atomised, Michel Houellebecq
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, Roddy Doyle
Never Mind, Edward St. Aubyn
Loitering With Intent, Muriel Spark
Weight, Jeanette Winterson
Wait Until Spring, Bandini, John Fante

Of these I suppose that Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle was my favourite of the month. Doyle is a master at dialogue, each page ringing with Irish charm, and his narrative, the way he gets inside young Paddy Clarke's mind, is incredible.
Albert Camus' The Outsider and John Fante's Wait Until Spring, Bandini are both worthy of note.

Atomised and Weight were my least favourite of the two and I'm torn between which I disliked most. Atomised, for example, was nice and reminiscent of Milan Kundera; it was too long and its ending left a lot to be desired. The barrage of sex, while perfectly understandable, detracted from an interesting idea. Weight, however, was merciful in its brevity and while Winterson's poetic style was a charm, the content was too sparse to be interesting and, again, there were pointless sex scenes.

Cold Spring Harbor by Richard Yates and A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irvine are still my favourites of the year, thus far.

Next month: Updike, McGrath, Proulx, more Fante

funkyjoez

Teddy Roosevelt read a book a day while he was in office.

As for me, I read three books this month,

Adventures of Augie March by Saul bellow: a bit slow, but a good ending.
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller: instantly one of my alltime favorites, Hillarious.
Deception by Phillip Roth: Terrible. All I can say.

Titania

Hmm... *tries to remember all the books she's read this month*

I read too much :smile:

I think my favorite was probably Across the Nightengale Floor by Liam Hearn, just because it was so unusual (based on Japanese culture, but with fantasy twists). As far as non-fiction, Guns, Germs and Steel, hands-down, but overall 2nd to Nightengale.

Londongrey

Angels Without Wings by Louis Benedieres (hope I spelt that right, same man who wrote Captain Corellis Mandolin).

L

Lady Danielle

*Blushes* I've read 12 books in Febuary, but that's only because I'm home instructed and can put aside 2-3 hours a day to read. Plus I'm a total booknut :)

I'd have to say that out of the books I read this month, the one that captured me was a book I actually bought for 'light reading'.

Ella Enchanted, by Gail Carson Levine

I'm a sucker for fairytale romances that end happily ever after, it is a nice escape from the everyday bores of life.

playstation60

Didn't complete any novels in Feb....began a bunch though.

Naked Empire, Terry Goodkind. Already read it, rereading it to prepare for the new book in June.

The Writer's Idea Workshop, Jack Heffron. Not much of a reading book as more of a reference, but I'll read through parts when bored.

The Dark Lover, no idea who wrote it. Some sort of vampire novel that sounded interesting.

Black Hawk Down, Mark Bowden. Easily the best military book I've read, great read.

The Sum of All Fears, Tom Clancy. Second time trying to read it, first time book was stolen.

WWIII, again no idea by whom. About the obvious.

The Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin. Wanting to find a fantasy novel, his name kept coming up so I thought I'd give it a shot. Like it so far.

Sword of Shannara, Terry Brooks. Got about 3 chapters into it and was bored throughout. Doubt I'll be finishing it.