Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

WW2 Poetry (1 Viewer)

Matchu

RESPONSE NO LONGER ENCOURAGED AS @OP IS RAGING, AWFUL PERSON, DANGEROUS, UNWISE TO ENGAGE THIS WOMAN, POSSIBLY. it's a man actually ANGRY INCEL CREATURE GREASED AT THE BUREAU HASN'T WASHED SINCE 1985. CIGAR AND PINK BELLY OBSCURES HIS SCREEN

One of my hobbies is to sit at my computer becoming increasingly more drunk and clicking between two or three favoured websites. On Youtube there's some guy who adores his own sonorous tones, he narrates all of Owen's incredible poems. I rage listening to him in action, I hate him and his 2 billion followers:

'Knocked kneed like beggars...' and you can smell his beard and his sweaty skin all over you. Afterwards I'm quite shivering and request a bucket of that Haute-Medoc to regain senses. Of course Owen and Sassoon are like brothers carried in my mind. Such is worthiness. As for Edward Thomas he's a knob. I don't care who hears me say that about dead people.

[Oh nod for our 'In Parenthesis' man. Ethereal prose although he was lower middle class and distressed the aristocrat real poets of his era.]

>>>>>Stepping a generation - I am sorry to admit I remain goo goo or ga ga over 'Vergissmeinnicht.' Like a true product of my environment I love him. Imagine my delight hiccupping across the screen, swallowing my Gaviscon cocktail to discover a narration of 'Vergissmeinnicht' on-line by the esteemed Sir John Guilgud-actor. Never has a poem been so abused by the dullard tribe we all know and despise as actors. He breezes through 'Vergissmeinnicht' as if Keth Douglas owes him a reading fee. Not often do I comment on Youtube. I did on this occasion, something like 'Guilgud is twat lols.'

So I discovered some Alun Lewis and years past I was obsessed by the snap of Thom Gunn in my anthology. Who is your World War Two poet with an extract if you like? Love, Maff Chapbok(hons)

Next month Richard Hillary, prince of the Spitfire poets

Last edited:

Matchu

Humiliation. For weeks I planned my v own WW2 poets’ thread: ‘we all know about the WW1 poets, but how about the poets of WW2, guys?’

I lay in bed - pictured tangent toward Vietnam poetry, a skip back at Crimea. Only again I am the tree falling in that forest [deep allusion, v clever] a tree speaking his own language...

[context: Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sassoon, Edward Thomas, Isaac Rosenberg are among the celebrated ‘war poets’ of The First World War. The Keith Douglas poem ‘Vergissmeinicht’ is most usually cited as the WW2 example.]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread