Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

WritingForums.com: like a testimony in progress (2 Viewers)

dale

This is like a testimony in progress, especially aimed at the newbies here who may become frustrated or
disinterested for whatever reasons......
I came here with only 2 short stories written......zero published. since being here and following the great criticisms
i received on my works in "the workshop" from members like chris miller, jonm, tiamat10, kyle colorado and others
...plus the confidence building and gracious praise on submitted works from sunny, josh.townley and others...plus learning
about sites like P&E and duotrope and other means to getting work published...not only have i written 2 more short stories,
but am now over a 1/3 the way done with a novel.
of the 4 short stories i've written, the 2 i wrote after learning what i have from this forum were accepted for publication
fairly quickly. i wouldn't have changed my writing style a bit on those, if not for chris, jonm, and kyle. and today, the 1st
story i ever wrote just got accepted, thanks to this site teaching me about duotrope and how to place it perfectly. i'm 3
out of 4 now. ha.
i just wanted to say that this site is great. this old dog may still have a few tricks left. one of the best decisions i ever
made was finding this place and registering here.

Tiamat

Patron
And we do love positive feedback from members just like you! :p Huge congratulations, by the way, on getting published with three of your four stories. That's pretty awesome, so kudos to you. I'm pretty sure my statistics as somewhat poorer than yours.

Just to add my own experiences with this forum, I showed up here after having been unanimously rejected with the one novel I had written, as well as whatever stories I'd submitted up till that point. Again, to echo what dale said, if it wasn't for the wonderful help I received in the workshop from the members he mentioned (as well as many others, including, unfortunately, many of those no longer around), I'd still be where I was back then: unpublished and, frankly, a rather poor writer.

This website really is a beautiful thing. :)

Sam

General
Patron
I came here with the intention of sharing my work to see where I could improve. Along with that, I learned a million and one things about the world of writing, all of which have contributed to me now being a published author.

That's the beauty of this site. If you can accept the constructive criticism and apply it, where necessary, to your work, you will become a better writer because of it. Just remember to not agree 100% with the person or 100% against them. Find a happy medium. Learn to take their advice when needed, and to stick to your guns when you believe in what you've written. That will come with time.

Kyle R

WF Veterans
Awesome, Dale!

It's a testament to your own abilities, as well. You've taken the feedback you were given and assimilated it quickly into your writing. That's a skill not everyone is capable of doing in such a short amount of time.

What's your novel about? Just curious!

I've also been helped tremendously by everyone mentioned in the OP, as well as many others. Lots of great minds here. :D Mmm. Delicious, squishy brains...

dale

Awesome, Dale!

It's a testament to your own abilities, as well. You've taken the feedback you were given and assimilated it quickly into your writing. That's a skill not everyone is capable of doing in such a short amount of time.

What's your novel about? Just curious!

I've also been helped tremendously by everyone mentioned in the OP, as well as many others. Lots of great minds here. :D Mmm. Delicious, squishy brains...

thanks, kyle..and everyone else on the thread. i don't even like to go into the novel here anymore. i put a couple chapters
up and it has evolved from that substantially..but i think the content made people uncomfortable. my wife tells me no publisher is
going to touch it because of the subject matter...but...as sam w said...sometimes you just got to ignore the critics and write it.

but back on topic...yeah...this site has some great minds here.

Last edited:

dale

i guess i'll bump this to gloat a bit. i now have no unpublished stories written. The "Midwest Literary Magazine" just accepted
that final one this morning. so i'm 4 out of 4 now. 100%. woot-woot. time for a snoopy dance............

snoopy-dance-5317_preview.gif

Oasis Writer

I would have to agree. This site is an amazing asset and resource for any writers that are serious about progressing their skill-set and learning something new, while having fun and interacting with others that have similar interests.

dale

a lesson learned........well, i had the 4 stories accepted....but this last week, 2 of those publications shut down before mine was scheduled for print.
but it might have worked for the best on one of those, because someone else was wanting it, after i had already signed a contract with the place
that shut down....so i emailed them back on it and the editor said she remembered the story and still wanted it. and where it's goin now will actually
put it in a printed anthology i can stick on my shelf. but......the lesson learned is: don't celebrate too soon. next time i'll wait until the story is actually
released before i started prancing around about it.

dale

just finished my 1st longer work last night. a novella of 21,000 words. that was a long, grueling process but well worth it
now that it's finished. i'm actually quite proud of it. it's pretty twisted. i'd put it in the workshop, but i think a story of that length
is a bit too much for people to want to read on a glaring computer screen. now, on to finishing the full length novel i've had on the
back burner for months. woot-woot.

Cran

Da Boss Emeritus
Patron
dale, accepted for publication is still a win; enjoy it for that*.
Seeing your work in print, that's gold! Worth every second of sweat and concern.

Congratulations, dale, and may you power on to more milestones.

*I've had a similar experience: accepted but never made print (as far as I know).

As for the novella:
Rather than posting entire long works, I'd encourage people to post excerpts. Focus on a section or two that doesn't quite ring the bell but where a solution is elusive.

Last edited:

Foxee

Patron
Patron
WTG, Dale! Love hearing of your successes (even though a couple publications folded, that's out of your control) and the path you've been on.

I wanted to mention that even if you don't find acceptance with one publisher or another for your novel that doesn't mean that it'll never find acceptance somewhere. You probably already know that, though.

It's true that the Writer's Workshop has always been helpful for me and we have some really fantastic writers who hang out there and critique.

Thanks for the positive report! I agree with the person who said this makes them feel like running a marathon. Maybe success is contagious. ;)

DuKane

A teller of tall tales
Congrats Dale, it does feel good doesn't it?
Agree with you regarding this place, some wonderful people and a good sprinkling of loonies to boot.
Long may that continue.

moderan

WF Veterans
*I've had a similar experience: accepted but never made print (as far as I know).

That isn't at all unusual, especially when you're talking about larger-circulation periodicals. I've sold stories to most of the slicks and haven't had my own byline in them yet. After a while of delayed publication dates, things get lost. I had it happen with the same story at the same magazine with two different editors (George Scithers and Gardner Dozois).
But I cheerfully cashed the checks and will wait until the rights revert and resubmit. That one story will go to F&SF the next time:)

dale

1st time i've landed in a printed book. i didn't make any money on it, but at least it's something i can hold and put on a bookshelf.
my story in this anthology is called "The Gospel of Pilate". i once put it up in the workshop here, before it got accepted for publication....

Hell: James Ward Kirk, William Cook, A. B. Stephens, Timothy Frazier, Paula D. Ashe, David Frazier, Matthew Wilson, Scott Frederick Hargrave, Christopher Hivner, A. D. Moore, Clint Smith, Chantal Noordeloos, Ron Koppleberger, Paul DeThroe, Ken Goldma

dale

just finished my 1st longer work last night. a novella of 21,000 words. that was a long, grueling process but well worth it
now that it's finished. i'm actually quite proud of it. it's pretty twisted. i'd put it in the workshop, but i think a story of that length
is a bit too much for people to want to read on a glaring computer screen. now, on to finishing the full length novel i've had on the
back burner for months. woot-woot.

woot-woot. my novella just got accepted by a small book publisher. another mission accomplished. it's not slotted for release
until may of 2014, though. so i guess i'll have to wait until then to receive the highly coveted and prestigious writingforums.com
"published author award". ha ha. also hoping i can get it reviewed by Motley Press then also.