Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Writing movement. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
How to write movement? What are your approaches? For me going to watch from silent films and I hope some are on Netflix or I will check to see if a lot these are on youtube.

Tettsuo

WF Veterans
Wow, I had to really think about this. But generally, I break I think I can break it down into 2 descriptive viewpoints.

1 - Direct. Literally saying what the person has done, or is doing. Example: He walked briskly. She slapped her hand on the desk. Etc.
2 - Indirect. Another character or the narrator notes the movement. Example: Sally struggled to follow Jack as he quickly moved through the crowd. Joan jumped, her ears ringing from the thunderous slap Janet made by slapped the desk.

Dunno if this helps you or not.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Themightyaz: I think that may work for you but what about depicting movement from objects or animals? What if you want to depict a different peron, place, or thing that moves in such places that require research? Am I limited to the places I live or go to because that is using writing what you know? Writing what you don't know is more difficult or interactions with such an environment that I don't know. Let's say you want to depict movement inside a store and not necessarily a house. If you haven't been at an ice skating rink how will you do it?

I don't think the answer to my question is very easy for me to decipher. Let's make this a little more difficult. A movement of a person in a toy shop when its about to close.

Silent movies seems like a logical solution since it is a unique art form for this.

I did order a book on how to describe after using multimedia such as movies and youtube.I am just wondering given that what I want to do is tougher than me moving myself from one place to another on how would you write it or tettsuo? What does the prewriting process look like? What resources do you use?

Last edited:

K.S. Crooks

If you're talking about the characters doing things that require multiple actions I like to write the changes in movement or changes in direction. I start with writing all the changes then smooth it out until it feels visually fluid. I good practice is to write someone doing something simple like washing dishes or dancing a waltz.

Matchu

I don't understand the question.

Do you refer to my most rigorous 'I stood & I hitched up my trousers and I moved one foot in front of the other foot. I repeated the process. Again I moved one foot in front of the other foot until by this process of perambulation I reached an other room. Here I found a chair, used powers of great vision, approached said chaise. I sat on my bottom.'

...truthfully I do tend to overwrite movement, drafting many times. I found, or I attempted at least - quite recently to hop swathes from the process of standing up toward 'one mile later' without damaging the narrative... ...pictures. I hope it was effective. It took me a while. But why?

Or do you mean Bauhaus art movement, 1930s fascism?

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
If you're talking about the characters doing things that require multiple actions I like to write the changes in movement or changes in direction. I start with writing all the changes then smooth it out until it feels visually fluid. I good practice is to write someone doing something simple like washing dishes or dancing a waltz.
That makes sense and I do appreciate this. Thanks for posting your opinion.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I don't understand the question.

Do you refer to my most rigorous 'I stood & I hitched up my trousers and I moved one foot in front of the other foot. I repeated the process. Again I moved one foot in front of the other foot until by this process of perambulation I reached an other room. Here I found a chair, used powers of great vision, approached said chaise. I sat on my bottom.'

...truthfully I do tend to overwrite movement, drafting many times. I found, or I attempted at least - quite recently to hop swathes from the process of standing up toward 'one mile later' without damaging the narrative... ...pictures. I hope it was effective. It took me a while. But why?

Or do you mean Bauhaus art movement, 1930s fascism?
I am not be very good at imagining movement while there is description that requires research. For example I read write a list of verbs associated with water if I wanted to describe the movement of a water fountain. Anyways most of us require visual input and that I haven't tried.

Yes pictures can help. I am planning on using a book and one thing it suggests is to write from pictures.

From an esl website:
One suggestion is to describe what the people are doing in the picture, to speculate what happened in the picture, what is in the foreground and background of the picture. Name everything that is in the picture. Use prepositions to describe objects in their relative location. When describing refer to the size, texture, shape, color or looking at these categories you can write a better description.

Another way to answer those this is what questions do you ask yourself to depict it. I have some answers from an esl website. What you think will help me describe what movement in any place I have not been to. Observation may help. However, I wish I had some questions I can ask myself or strategies that I have not thought off.

Last edited:

Matchu

Yes, your process is very encompassing or deep - I saw a post with your elegant handwriting [ew] and it was interesting. I write the other way around perhaps, beginning with nothing or a spark...but it can take six years toward 3500 words. Idiot.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Please stop with the joking as I myself am being serious. I am trying to make it easier for myself. Really the next bad joke I see I will not appreciate. I do not take 6 years, and I would appreciate an honest answer and not an insult. I don't know but it seems the bad sort of humor that points toward insulting.

Matchu

nothing in my post was a joke

I noticed you use note books to build ideas toward a draft...and I do not

I said '6 years' because I resurrected a 2015 & worked on it last week.

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
Themightyaz: I think that may work for you but what about depicting movement from objects or animals? What if you want to depict a different peron, place, or thing that moves in such places that require research? Am I limited to the places I live or go to because that is using writing what you know? Writing what you don't know is more difficult or interactions with such an environment that I don't know. Let's say you want to depict movement inside a store and not necessarily a house. If you haven't been at an ice skating rink how will you do it?

I don't think the answer to my question is very easy for me to decipher. Let's make this a little more difficult. A movement of a person in a toy shop when its about to close.

Silent movies seems like a logical solution since it is a unique art form for this.

I did order a book on how to describe after using multimedia such as movies and youtube.I am just wondering given that what I want to do is tougher than me moving myself from one place to another on how would you write it or tettsuo? What does the prewriting process look like? What resources do you use?

I'm going to be honest. I think you're overthinking it. You have verbs and other things like metaphors/similes to relay your own view of movement. The flippant and unremarkable answer to your question is 'verbs'. That's it. It doesn't matter how you break it down, it comes down to 'verbs'. How would a movement of a person in a toy shop that's about to close, in any way change how you would describe movement of anything else? It doesn't. Like I said, I think you're overthinking this.

The rabbit hopped
The snake slithered
The butterfly fluttered
He walked through the toy shop
He sneaked through the toy shop
He ran through the toy shop

Nothing changes. In all situations the answer is verbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.