Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

writing medical self help books (1 Viewer)

L

lizah

Hello, I have come seeking advice! I am a new writer who has had articles published in professional journals and has now been asked to write a book for Manchester University Press for a series for friends and families of people with health conditions. Mine is about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME which I have suffered from and I need info on the financial side. Is there anyone out there who knows what sort of amount to expect from such a deal? The book will be 50,000 words, non-academic and for the mass market (WHSmiths, etc).

Thanks, lizah.

L

lizah

Hello, I am been apprached to write a book for friends and families of sufferers of CFS/ME, a medical condition that I have myself, for a University Press. It will be 50,000 words, non-academic, part of a series and for the mass market, any idea how much money these kinds of 'self help' books command?

Thanks for any help given, Lizah.

Nickie

WF Veterans
Hi there Lizah, and welcome. I really haven't got a clue how much money there would be in for you. I've had my own publishing company, but that was just commercial. It wouldn't hurt to ask the University Press for more information, I'm sure they'll be willing to tell you more!

Nickie

mammamaia

welcome to the forums!... what you can expect as a new book writer is pretty much anything from no advance and a low to more or less standard royalty, to a healthy advance and, if the series sells well, a nice steady income...

if it's a work-for-hire deal, they'll have a scale of payments... usually along the lines of so much on signing, so much when first draft turned in and so much when final draft accepted...

what have they offered you?...

mammamaia

i replied to this in your duped post... here's a copy:

welcome to the forums!... what you can expect as a new book writer is pretty much anything from no advance and a low to more or less standard royalty, to a healthy advance and, if the series sells well, a nice steady income...

if it's a work-for-hire deal, they'll have a scale of payments... usually along the lines of so much on signing, so much when first draft turned in and so much when final draft accepted...

what have they offered you?...

you might want to ask the mods to combine them, so you won't have to keep checking both...