Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Writing in a paperless age (1 Viewer)

playerslayer666

Writing now feels 100% pointless. Nobody reads anymore. And if they did and if you could sell a book it would be a cheap eBook that wouldn't profit very well. Pointless.

And wow that's literally the only thing I have to say on the topic. Further proof that I shouldn't be here pretending to be an aspiring writer when I've already given up on everything. I feel like my life is already over and I'm just sitting around waiting to die.

TheManx

That sounds a tad melodramatic.

Most of the people I know read. Small sample, I know.

Otherwise, lots of people try writing and then discover it isn't for them, or they get into it and don't like the parts that are hard work and maybe not that fun. There's no shame in that. Not everyone is cut out for it. (And the jury is out on that, as far as I'm concerned.)

I'd give you a pep talk, but if you need a pep talk, then maybe you should be doing something else.

Cheers.

Last edited:

ladygarmadone17

Tbf there are times I feel that way too,
I wanna read and/or write, but then depression or anxious thoughts settle in and I fear the worse for me and everyone around
It’s a sad life, and although I feel the pain, I don’t think I can live without writing, even if I fear what I write might become true, or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tiamat

Patron
Writing now feels 100% pointless. Nobody reads anymore. And if they did and if you could sell a book it would be a cheap eBook that wouldn't profit very well. Pointless.

And wow that's literally the only thing I have to say on the topic. Further proof that I shouldn't be here pretending to be an aspiring writer when I've already given up on everything. I feel like my life is already over and I'm just sitting around waiting to die.
I mean, nobody's going to museums these days but I don't think we should be all, "archeology is pointless!"

Seriously though, people really do read and if you're not seeing evidence of that, you need new friends. Also, like, you're literally posting this on a writing forum. You think the majority of us don't read? Do you really, really think that? :confused:

Last edited:

ladygarmadone17

Ik most of us do read, so no I do think that the majority of us read like a lot.

I was only saying that I too feel like despite wanting to read and/or, write, I fear the worse of what comes out. Never do I mean to disparage those that do read. Forgive me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Terra

Ever consider writing for your Self to read? Some may call that journaling, but writing a story aimed at what You like to read can be quite fulfilling, and then why not let someone else read it, and then someone else, and so on .....

Matchu

I sometimes feel this way receiving free e-versions of Sun/New Yorker/Carve. “What a load of crap, MINE is so much better you bastards. Another death memoir. Your daddy was really special was he yeah yeah sunlight on your fakk off aspidistra. A professor? Seeking the elusive indigenous pot, faaaaak you Tintin.” [Text post-pidgin]

LCLee

Financial Supporter
There are a lot of blogs out there that are paperless. Some could use a quality check, but they still find an audience.
As far as no one reading anymore, I think all aspiring authors and established authors read or should read to fine tune their craft to make it relevant to today’s readers.
I was discouraged after spending three years’ full time on my novel and my family wouldn’t read it. The heartbreak was they said they had read it but lied.

playerslayer666

Thank you all for the replies. I'm sorry I even posted this. I wasn't in the right state of mind. It wasn't exactly a good time to resurrect my once dead profile.

Writing for myself is a scary thought. I hate myself too much for that to somehow be productive.

Turnbull

Dude, you need some healing. Quite frankly, you should write, if only for that purpose. Writing stuff has made me realize a lot of things about myself, like facing feelings for those that died and what I could have done for them, or how childish I am. It's not a fun thing, but it's necessary. What I recommend for you is to just write. Don't tell yourself what to write, just put down whatever comes into your head. Anything. Even if it's you talking about how much you love collards, or something. Even if you don't get a pertinent self revelation, you might produce something that's fun and interesting.

Don't be discouraged about the state of media. The problem we have is that too much of publishing happens in New York, and since they and California have such a stronghold on the media, they get to dictate what is advertised by their tastes. Meaning, they've got so many of their own ideas that they're neglecting outside views. This is actually kind of a good thing, because more and more people are realizing that they don't like being ignored, and building their own paradigms. In other words, we're on the cusp of a revolution by the innovative.

dither

WF Veterans
Thank you all for the replies. I'm sorry I even posted this. I wasn't in the right state of mind. It wasn't exactly a good time to resurrect my once dead profile.

Writing for myself is a scary thought. I hate myself too much for that to somehow be productive.

Got that T-shirt.