Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Writing courses for description that are eclectic or that would work for anyone? (1 Viewer)

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
As the days advance towards the holidays, I have been giving it serious thought. I have searched for hours on this topic throughout the years and bought the wrong research material, Sure; I wasted precious time. I hope I can have some recommendations for a course that I will take by the end of November. I did find one book that is written by a qualified professional from an MFA program and that releases in march of next year (it is the same month as my birthday). I need recommendations. My budget is probably 200-300 dollars assuming it solves the problem. If I have no assurance, it will improve my descriptive skills using my own imagination then I wish to try something less expensive.

Teaching creative writing for the multicultural, global, and digital generation, this volume offers a fresh approach for enhancing core writing skills in the major forms of Poetry, Fiction, Nonfiction, and Drama. Creative Writing and the Imagination aims to provide students with organic, active learning through imitation and examples which not only emphasize writing and reading but look to other art forms for inspiration. This volume’s key features include:

• Strengthening key underlying capabilities of what we mean by imagination: physical and mental alertness, clarity of perception, listening skills, attention to detail, sustained concentration, lateral thinking, and enhanced memory.

• Taking direction from other art forms such as African American musical improvisation, Brancusi’s sculptural idea of "finding form," key idea from drawing such as foreground, background, and negative space―and some of the great lessons learned from National Geographic photography.

• Incorporating techniques drawn from unusual sources such as advertising, military intelligence, ESL, working with the blind, stage magic, and oral traditions of remote indigenous cultures in Oceania and Africa.

The work is intended for a global English market as core or supplementary text at the undergraduate level and as a supporting frame at the M.F.A. level.

Part 1: Going Wokabout

-Purpose and Plan

-Fevering Forward

-A Multimedia Artist Reflects

-What to Pack

-3 Spiral Paths

-Headwaters

-New Ways for New Days

-Reflections on Publishing from an Agent’s Point of View

-Key Takeout Points

-Learning by Imitation

Part 2: Gaining Perspective

-Introductory Parable

-Live the Map

-Present Tense, Future Tenser

-Of a Fire in the Mind

-The Basic Writing Point of View

-The Unfortunate Perspective of Regret

-A Critical Point of View

-Found in Translation

-People, Place, and Language

-Race, Language, and Culture

-Public Health, Private Healing

-In Conversation with Leland Cheuk

Part 3: Aerial View

-Introductory Parable

-An Underlying Unity

-The Subject is Always…

-Why Should YOU Write?

-What to Write About

-Imagery

-Subjects / Themes / Premises / Concepts

-Titles

-Characters

-Setting

-Plot

-Voice / Style

-Narrative Perspective

-Conflicts

-Suspense / Surprise

-Tone

-Transitions

-Grammar

-Accuracy & Ethos

-Revision

-Well Made Things

-Important General Concepts

-What Makes Coherence?

Part 4: Tactical Resources

Quick Thinks

Memory Arcade (The Listening Memory Method)

Word Arcade

Part 5: The Writing Program

Poetry

Fiction

Drama (Writing for Performance)

Nonfiction

Part 6: Spiral Mind (Not Yet Arrived)

-Introductory Parable

-Imagination in Context

-Alertness (Alive & Now)

-The Mystery of Memory

-Exercising Memory

-A Welcome Ambush

-The General Method

-Some Case Studies

Annexes

-From Revision to Evolution

-Seven Essential Points for Writers

-Write About What You Know and Be Confined…

-Truth, Memory, and the Right to Your Own Life

-The Discipline

-Recommended World Reading
This is the book I found when searching on the web today.

I prefer if you tell me you took a course on this and if it worked for you. I do get concrete words are part of writing description. I need a step-by-step approach. Maybe one that is outlined and that is similar to the book description (optional).

Here's what baffles me. I cannot write a hot summer day as a descriptive paragraph. I do get I can use the 5 wh questions to start a story in media res. However, it's become tedious. If I research the information, it becomes tiring for me to write a story each time. In the story I have in the workshop called the "society of poetry." I had to painstakingly research each detail of the beach.

IMO, if I write from the imagination it would save me a lot of time when producing drafts and short stories.

So I need help, and I am not complaining at all. Thanks for any recommendations. I suppose feedback is the best way to learn. Or if you don't think I should ask for feedback I hope the course makes me learn new things on how to describe using my imagination.

Thank you.

Edit: I think I will try coursera. For 400 dollars for one year ( more than 5 courses) I can take any course besides writing description. This includes any back to school topics such as refreshing on math.

However, I am open to some more ideas from members.

Last edited: