Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Worst author ever? (1 Viewer)

Vos

Who do you think is the worst author ever?

The worst I can think of is definetly Kevin Major. We had to read two of his books. Blood Red Ocre in grade 9 and Eating Between The Lines this year. His books are not only boring as hell, but predictible, nosensical, and just plain, well, for lack of a better term, dumb. I'm not going to go into spicifics of the novels, I'll just say that they'll leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

Eating between the lines even won The Canadian Librery Association book of the year... must of been a sad year for Canadian books. Everyone I know hated it. That includes teachers.

Haha, He was supposed to come to our school to talk to us, not sure why he didn't. Oh well, good for him. :twisted:

PS. The age of his characters were inconsistant too, at the first of the book Eating Between The Lines Jackson is 17 and has his drivers licence. Later it says he's 16.

bobothegoat

I had a few, but that guy sounds like he tops anything I can offer. I'm glad that we're usually only forced to read stuff like To Kill a Mockingbird and Lord of the Flies in school.

Kikster

personally I hated smilla's sense for snow, or whatever that was called. I know that a lot of people loved it, but I couldn't stand it. I read all of it, hoping it would get better, but it sucked all the way to the end...

journyman161

Toss up between Stephen Donaldson for the most excruciating ruination of a good plot - ever! The ONLY SciFi/Fantasy I ever went to sleep reading!

and

L.Ron Hubbard for nearly all his writing but particularly that horrible attempt at SciFi humour that ran on for like 10 books. you'd think someone with a 1st name of Lafayette should be able to write!

Honourable mention from school days - Albert Camus - I have no idea how good his stuff was in french but in english it would have made me sign up for Book Burning 101

EmuJenkins

So many people would disagree, but Dickens. What a ridculously boring book that Great Expectations was. He wrote the equivalent to a soap opera. What an awful writer.

Hodge

pliable
Yes but it was before the soap opera existed. Dickens did draw his novels out as long as he could, though, because his publisher paid him by the word.

Commercial fiction isn't bad by any means. King, Grisham, Clancey—they must have some skill because they're able to write what the masses want and keep them coming back for more. To tell the truth, I rather like King's style. Very casual, very welcoming. Not too serious, not too light—it's just real.

Unfortunately, the worst authors also write the worst books, and I tend to get rid of books I don't like, so I don't really know who I don't like...

Edith Wharton. Age of Innocence is the only book I have never finished. It's drawn out so much and the drama all lies in something I find so utterly petty and ridiculous that I can't help but wish all of the characters would fall in a ditch and stay there. Forever.

BookLover

The names that comes to my mind are: Sidney sheldong and John Grisham. If I have ever left some book unfinished, its because of these two authors.

strangedaze

I personally don't like Dickens very much, but I think he's still a worthy author. And I'm appalled that someone would even *suggest* that Camus is the worst author ever ;)

As for Grisham - read his pathetic attempt at non-legal fiction - A Painted House. Rotten to the core and filled with every possible stock character and overwrought circumstance imaginable.

I wonder if I'd consider him the worst author I've ever read? Maybe. Intriguing.

a15haddad

I had to watch the movie A Painted House in English class for a reason I don't quite remember. It was very much cliched old-South, if a halfway decent film. But read The Rainmaker; Grisham isn't that bad. In fact, I like The Rainmaker a lot. I'm not suggesting it's a great book, but it's fun to read.

While what Hodge said about commercial fiction is true, I really despise Tom Clancy with a passion. He is possibly the worst of these modern-day bestselling authors, in my opinion. His stories are all incredibly rehashed and have absolutely no value. It's like he has a plot generator and simply decides whether the Armenians or the Russians should take over the White House or whether the secret weapon will destroy a nation or destroy a computer mainframe. Dan Brown is also horrific. I've only read one book of each, but both left me with an unbearably bad taste in my mouth (Rainbow Six and The Da Vinci Code). However, I honestly haven't read too many bad books, mostly because lately I've only been reading books deemed classics. I figure that if I should read something, it might as well be great. Although, of course, you appreciate art much more thoroughly when you see poor art as well, but I am confident in my approach.

Come to think of it, there was one horrendous novel I read last summer called "Futility At Its Finest" by Linda Ratchet. It presented what is likely the most flawed argument I have ever seen published. It was set in present day, when one female character was feeling very happy and positive about her world and then, suddenly, found a time machine in her room. When she accessed it, it took her to all of the darkest times in recorded history such as the Holocaust, the Dark Ages, etc. etc. and showed her that life is incredibly painful and has no point, that everything present in the world is evil, and she becomes very depressed and crazy and kills herself because she finally understands the world. Ratchet was basically saying that everything in this world is evil and horrible and you can never be happy or feel right because life is simply pain. Not only was her argument horrible by simply taking us to some bad times in history (also, if everybody and everything was evil, then is it so horrible that the evil Nazis exterminated the evil Jews? In this story the Jews during the Holocaust are painted as completely evil little devils), her writing was downright pathetic. Never, ever read this book... I actually never finished it, I simply skipped much of the sadness and grief and went to the ending to the suicide scene where she recounted everything she had seen and killed herself.

Sir_Satoshi

You know, the only book in English this year that I hated at all was "Summer Of My German Soldier". I can't remember who wrote it though... It was just so... I don't know. I hated the main character. Hated. Loathed. She was just a whiny teenage girl.

I hate that book...

Though I try to give all authors a little bit o' credit. ;D They work hard to write things.

Kikster

Sir_Satoshi said:
You know, the only book in English this year that I hated at all was "Summer Of My German Soldier". I can't remember who wrote it though... It was just so... I don't know. I hated the main character. Hated. Loathed. She was just a whiny teenage girl.

I hate that book...

I hated that book too!!! I think it was written by bette greene, who also wrote a sequel to it called "morning is a long time coming". I hated both of them, but my teacher in middle school thought they were so good we had to read BOTH... :x

Verago

I hated the Orphan Train Adventures...My teacher liked them, too, so we read them. >_<
It took us the last six weeks of school to finish them.

It was too melo-dramatic, rather soppy...and the ending rather sucked. But that's just me...I was nodding off during that class, anyway.

It was on tape, so it could've been the narrator that I hated.

ssj2raider

I would have to say John Grisham and the Bronte sisters. I read a Painted House and it was ok at the beginning but the end of the novel was completely ruined. The Bronte books were too slow.

Talia_Brie

starrwriter said:
This is easy. Just look at the list of best-selling fiction authors of the past few decades: Stephen King, Tom Clancy, Danielle Steel, John Grisham etc etc etc.

What a terribly intellectual thing to say. It must make you feel very proud that you can cast such a wide brush.

Stephen King is an exceptionally talented writer. Tom Clancy is a talented plotter. Danielle Steele, I agree her books aren't very attractive, but that's a genre problem for me. I've never read them because I don't read Romance. John Grishom is the same, he writes excellent plots, therefore he has some value.

If you don't like popular genre fiction, then say so. But don't write these people off as poor artists, because that is not the case.

bobothegoat

Actually, I think I've mentioned The View From Saturday by EL Konnigsburg, a Newberry award winning book that I had to read in 7th grade. It was, without a doubt, the worst book we were ever required to read in school.

It might have been well-written in terms of style, but to me it was nothing but pretentious garbage. Especially Mr. Singh, the corniest of the corniest, who is telling their quadriplegic teacher (and mentor on the acedemic team) that the Souls (as they call themselves) all took a "journey." Of course, he means this in a pretentious metaphorical sense.

Actually, nearly all the characters were unbelievable. The are all supposed to be in 6th grade, but at the time I was in 7th grade. I knew that that was not how sixth graders act.

Whatever you do, do not read your book. If you do, you will be extremely bitter for months and months. It destroys your mind, man! It destroys your mind!

blademasterzzz

Dan Brown, definately.

He seems to have slightly more imagination than a grain of sand and higher ego than Mt Everest.

King in a great writer, and as for Grisham - I just don't take his books for anything more than mild entertainment, which he's good at.

Users who are viewing this thread