Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Worldbuilding and novel series layout (1 Viewer)

lwhitehead

I'm having problems in Worldbuilding of Hard Fantasy series of the English Civil War, and novel series layout.

My first problem is the writing style should I do First person view or Third, with the First person view each chapter is too much like A Song of Ice and Fire series, I want to weave many character views in each novel in the series of War of 4 Kingdoms.

As for Worldbuilding I need names for the Nations for Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales, I know Wales is not considered a full Kingdom but a land of tiny kingdoms.

LW

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
How I want to tell the story determines what perspective I write from.
Some stories are told naturally by 3rd person...and others work better from 1st person.
It is hard to explain how I decide one way over the other, but I usually arrive at that decision at the same time that I determine what voice to use.
Some stories work better with a snarky first person narration...but then they are limited to only things the narrator would know.
Others benefit from the dispassionate revelations that you get from 3rd person narration.

Then in some rare cases, I use 3rd person narration, subsidized with first person logs or diaries. It is a way to cheat and use both styles to tell different aspects of the story (personal journals and/or narration helps to better illustrate your character.)

Learning how to determine perspective and voice is just one of those things that you learn during those first 200,000 words of practice.
It is for this reason that I suggest people write at least 200k before they try to publish.
Any less than that and you are still learning the ropes.
There is more to writing than basic literacy.

lwhitehead

I could do like Harry Turtledove and give each character a paragraph in each chapter of the book,

Second problem is landmass of the Four Kingdoms that make up this setting, if I use a real earth landmasses like North and South America. People would again state that I'm ripping off A song of Ice and Fire.

LW

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
I could do like Harry Turtledove and give each character a paragraph in each chapter of the book,

Second problem is landmass of the Four Kingdoms that make up this setting, if I use a real earth landmasses like North and South America. People would again state that I'm ripping off A song of Ice and Fire.

LW
It is nearly impossible to write a story in this day and age that is not somehow derivative of something else already published or in theaters.
Just write the story as best as you can and ignore the haters and critics.

WEFerence

If the story's meant to be primarily from one character's perspective for the most part, go with first-person or limited third-person. Otherwise, normal third-person narration.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
As a reader, I hate head hopping. I’ve stopped reading books that were hard to follow because I couldn’t tell whose head I was in. Switching POV has to be clear, and I prefer it at the chapter level… at scene breaks it sometimes works, but between paragraphs? No. Not for me.

For POV, I prefer third person limited or first person.

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
As a reader, I hate head hopping. I’ve stopped reading books that were hard to follow because I couldn’t tell whose head I was in. Switching POV has to be clear, and I prefer it at the chapter level… at scene breaks it sometimes works, but between paragraphs? No. Not for me.

For POV, I prefer third person limited or first person.
Like any technique, head-hopping requires attention to clarity ... actually, ADDITIONAL attention to clarity. A lot of good authors do that very well. In my 3rd person, I put some effort into that, because in a conversation I WILL use each character's internal dialogue as well as spoken dialogue. That's valid, but you're correct, it should not be done casually.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
Sometimes you can cheat.
With Calizona I was able to get away with changing POV because the story was a mockumentary and each scene came with a bold-print header identifying the source.
So before you even started to read a new section, you knew that this was a VIDEO JOURNAL from the character MICKEY, or it was surveilance footage from the garage complex... Then once the scene started, I often wrote in starkly different style (specifically with journals and diaries) so you felt the character more. Alex's journals were different than Mickey's that were different than Cat's that were....

But that trick may not work in every novel.

But I do like writing multi-POV because it allows you to tell a more full story because the reader gets more perspectives...the reader gets to see all sides of the equation. Yet, at the same time, the narrator in each is limited to only what THEY know, preserving secrets and upcoming surprises. This style of 'compartamentalized narrator' can even be used to set up events.
example: Character A rails for 2 pages about how he is not gonna do that thing that B wants him to do. No way in hell!
Then we hear from B and she does something that completely spins A around (or utterly destroys his plans.)

$0.02

Llyralen

As for Worldbuilding I need names for the Nations for Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales, I know Wales is not considered a full Kingdom but a land of tiny kingdoms.

LW

I'm kind of interested in why you would leave the naming up to other people and this goes back to the question of worldbuilding. If you want to closely base it on the English Civil War then the world is already there for the taking if you research. If you just want to base it off of real life in the way that the series House is based on Sherlock Holmes then you could use a name derivative or name it whatever the hell you want. It all depends on how thick or thinly veiled you want to base it on real life and if medium, I think you have to research for medium like a la Guy Gavriel Kay. If close to real life, personally (but there are a thousand ways to go) I'd use each country's own name for themselves or a derivative if just semi-close. By the way, Wales had been unified enough to be called Cymru for several centuries by the time of the English Civil War.