Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

world recoinstruction (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunox

I just am curious on how to do world building for projects you need to rebuild. a.k.a refurbishing old wips that you haven't worked on in forever.. have published.. but don't remember a lot of...

Ajoy

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Are you talking about creating a new story from the world of one you've already completed?

I've been working on one project for a long time and did have to do some rebuilding when I finally came back to it. I finished three drafts of a novel I was working on, but I wasn't happy with big parts of the structure and elements of the characters. It got shelved for a long time (years) as I thought about how I wanted to move forward. Last summer, I started working on the new project. While the characters and their stories were not very different, the plot was. I dismantled the old WIP into its scenes, and as I was rewriting the new version, I pulled in some scenes from the old work. I also trashed a lot of scenes. It was a lot to juggle as there were two intertwined storylines - one high fantasy and one low fantasy. Now that my new first draft is finished, I am rewriting the beginning and doing yet another restructure, though much smaller scale. Apparently I enjoy treating my WIP like a jigsaw puzzle. :)

kunox

I am saying I have done forgot a lot of the canon. plus I lost the notes... so I will have to rebuild it.

Status
Not open for further replies.