Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

words you hate? (1 Viewer)

Arrakis

Right? Pfft... "sugar" --like is it fructose or sucrose? Be specific​, you guys.

Point taken.

The word I was referring to was..."s-u-p-e-r". Only saying the letters, not the word. Honestly, I hear that word everywhere, everyday. It drives me insane.

Last edited:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Overuse does not make me hate a word, but it does devalue it Watched a bit of 'Britain's got talent, the champions' and the word 'Awesome' got used so much that when someone came on whose abilities actually inspired awe there was nothing left to say but 'I am lost for words'. They weren't of course, but they were empty words.

luckyscars

WF Veterans
Overuse does not make me hate a word, but it does devalue it Watched a bit of 'Britain's got talent, the champions' and the word 'Awesome' got used so much that when someone came on whose abilities actually inspired awe there was nothing left to say but 'I am lost for words'. They weren't of course, but they were empty words.

Those shows are like an exhibition of superlatives and bad hyperbole.

"Passion" drives me nuts. It's everywhere, all the time, people going into job interviews at Burger King and talking about their 'passion' and you aren't allowed to question it without being made to look the asshole.

'Emotional', another one, when used to refer to one's state of being - 'it made me feel emotional'. Is there even a way you can feel something without it being an emotion? So how can you feel emotional? That's like saying 'it makes me feel feeling'. What emotion specifically is it? 'Emotional' is not a state, just say it makes you feel unstable. When people say they 'feel emotional' they are employing lazy language so they don't have to be specific about what they are feeling. I also dislike that it's generally painted as being undesirable, like human beings are robots and their emotions are their failings as opposed to their strengths.

Last but not least, my least favorite slice of bollocks is when people speak of 'feeling alive' - "I just felt so alive when I was with her." What in the name of pretentious arseholery is that supposed to mean? Nothing, it means nothing, it's filler.

Users who are viewing this thread