Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Word line splitting (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrzkiss

Hello All;

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

OK, Most books that I have looked at in the last few days, all show word splitting.

Example #1:
This is the first line of the para-
graph, and it breaks to the second line.
OR
Example #2:
This is the first line of the paragraph,
and it breaks to the second line.

Which is the better method?
Should I set it to break the lines, or let it do as the 2nd one shows?
If the Example #1, is the better-preferred method, how would I do this in Office WORD?

Thanks, all.
Wayne

Jack of all trades

You should be able to turn hyphenation off or on. Check the page setup in the page layout tab. I believe the default is "none".

In the example you provided, I like #2 better.

carrzkiss

@Jack of all trades.

Some of it looks like this.

Example #1 (Split word to nest line)
This is just something that I am writing about
nothing more than just words I am writing
and then we need a long word so here abso-
lutely, it puts it on the next line, and see
the gap that is at the end of the rows.

Example #2 (Gap on the third line)
This is just something that I am writing about
nothing more than just words I am writing
and then we need a long word so here
absolutely, it puts it on the next line, and see
the gap that is at the end of the rows.

Pretty much, my paragraphs have a lot of gaps in them, like what is shown in the 2nd example.

hyphenation = None (Default)

@Ralph
Where is
full pagination
Cannot find it.

Office word 365

carrzkiss

I am thinking of leaving it OFF.
I, myself. Do not like to have the words split.
But a LOT of the books that I see from people, like the ones my mother reads from Harlequin books.
All of them, have it Hyphenated. (split)
Even though it will make everything look a lot better, it just makes the words broken, and for me, it is annoying to read.

Thoughts on this one?

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
I prefer full-justified, using a proportional (as opposed to monospace) font. Not sure if this forum supports it, though I've heard rumours of being able to paste formatted text from Word.

Jack of all trades

For ebooks, it doesn't matter, because the reader can set preferences for everything, font, font size, and, I believe, hyphenation. So if this is for an ebook, I wouldn't worry about it any more.

For print books, you have more control. I don't mind hyphens, but I don't notice gaps either. In fact, I have been formatting my first book for print and never thought about hyphenation. If it were me, I'd set everything else (page size, margins, font and font size) and save that as the print version, then try turning hyphens on and taking a look at the whole thing. Are there lots of hyphens? Or just a few? How noticeable are the gaps? Based on the comparison of the two ways, I'd decide.

carrzkiss

I keep on re-reading my book over and over again. finding little errors in it.
I am going to compile all the chapters together within' the next week or so, and I will check out the hyphens then.
I have each chapter in it's on WORD document.

Status
Not open for further replies.