Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Word Choice, Diction and Syntax (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
This is a video I constantly re-watch to make sure I do not forget to think this way. I would recommend saving these changes for later drafts though, unless you're doing what I'm doing right now and practising individual elements of the craft. Perhaps just underline certain words as you go, instead of stopping every 5 minutes to look up a better word.

I'll add one other thing here that's not related to the subject but equally as important, if not more so. Write down all the senses in the order 'most likely' encountered: Sight, Sound, Smell, Touch, Taste, put it on a sticky note and stick it to your PC in plain view and habitually look at it. Then make sure you at least try to include all five in every scene. Will Self does this, so you're in good company.

Anyway, back to the main subject of the thread. This young lady is wonderful and well worth listening to:

Last edited:

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
I have watched some of her videos. She is a big pantser so its interesting to hear from her perspective, it can be different than the typical advice , which is refreshing. I will check out this video in a bit (at work still 😬 )

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Okay I watched the video. Its a good reminder that I don't know what I'm doing 😆
Seriously though, it was very insightful, I need to watch her other videos regarding word choice
Also looking up "parts of a_" is so relatable

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
She has excellent advice. She gives a lot of ideas on how to improve our writing if we have a weak vocabulary. Using a reverse dictionary and thesaurus and googling details could be helpful. I plan to watch more videos she has on youtube especially abstract versus concrete and line editing. Thanks themightyaz for sharing. I have to rewatch this one. Getting verbs from other stories is another way if the writer has a rich vocabulary. I am not sure she mentioned that as a strategy. I need to rewatch for numerous reasons.

Last edited:

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
She has excellent advice. She gives a lot of ideas on how to improve our writing it we have a weak vocabulary. Using a reverse dictionary and thesaurus and googling details could be helpful. I plan to watch more videos she has on youtube especially abstract versus concrete and line editing. Thanks themightyaz for sharing. I have to rewatch this one. Going verbs for other stories is another way. I am not sure she mentioned that as a strategy. I need to rewatch for numerous reasons.
She has her own channel but she also does vids for Reedsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.