Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Woot! 50k manuscript and letter finished, querying agent. Advice? (1 Viewer)

Bakslashjack

Cupcakes for everyone, I've finished my first book! Already found the vanity subsidiary publishers and decided they're a waste of time. What can I expect with my hunt for a proper agent? Should I shotgun letters? Will they be able to get my book on the shelves at a bookstore?

LeeC

WF Veterans
Hey, a two for one. You might start my reading the answer I just gave here:
age discrimination and getting published

Yes the poster was worried about age, but the answer I gave is in good part applicable to your question. If you do send multiple concurrent queries, a form letter is a sure turn off, but in personalized queries letting them know you are doing so is professional courtesy.

Gavrushka

WF Veterans
Pay particular attention to the format the agent requests your manuscript to be submitted, and make sure your synopsis and covering letter are as error free as your excerpt. - A good source of agents looking for fresh blood is to follow @litrejections on Twitter. - Their website also has a wealth of information.

You may wish to consider posting a short excerpt on here (a couple of thousand words) so a few of the more technically proficient can offer you a little assurance that it is grammatically flawless.

IF you don't get any joy from agents, don't despair, but perhaps revisit your novel with the help of a few additional beta readers. (I assume you've had a number cast their eye over it already.)

Be tenacious, and I wish you well. - Post here any progress you make. - It's always a pleasure to hear of another WF member's success or, should the worst happen, help in increasing their future chances of securing representation.

Riis Marshall

WF Veterans
Hello Bak

Well done!

Ditto everything that's been said here. PM me for my address where you can send my cupcake.

It may take a while. Hang in there. Agent hunting can be frustrating.

Never surrender!

All the best with this book and your next.

Warmest regards
Riis