Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Withdrawing Stories After Acceptance (1 Viewer)

EternalGreen

I've run into a problem. I received an acceptance for a story, but it is a simultaneous submission. I have not signed a contract. I am being told the editors will "be in touch" with me in the coming weeks.

Should I withdraw my submission from all other publishers?

Will withdrawing an accepted story if I get a better offer irritate editors and burn bridges?

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
If it were me. If I were paid 2 cents a word I would keep it where it is. You need credits, and that would make accepting your piece from a future market easier. I have a piece under consideration somewhere, and it hasn't been rejected in 80 days. I know the feeling of wanting higher payment for your work. Be careful. (it is also an anthology market) Of course it is my opinion. But I wanted to give it. I have no relevant experience with dealing with any editors on this matter since this hasn't become a problem yet for me.

I once crossed an editor by not answering their emails. At the time I didn't know I had dyslexia. He liked the story and recommended I workshop it on scribophile. That was over 5 years ago. I don't know if I burned a bridge, but now he edits an important magazine I have submitted to. I assume it's him since he has the same name which I never forgot. Because of all the feedback I wasn't sure I was going to overcome the dyslexia. That's a situation I dislike to be in.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I would be very reluctant to piss off any publisher, you might want to do business with them in the future, and they might have friends in the business, you don't want to become known generally as a potential pain. If you withdraw gracefully they know on the one hand someone thinks you are publishable, also that you do the 'right thing'. There will be other stories, sticking to what you said and having already been published will bode well for them with everyone.

BornForBurning

I would take it, frankly. The way I see it is, they get back to you first, they get the story. I wouldn't play too conservatively. If you can write one publishable story, you can write another.

ScifiWriter

I would most certainly take the offer. The other publishers may never get back to you.
Get you book published and out there. Worry about a fatter paycheck with the second or third novel.
No one want a one-book wonder. Too much investment for too little return.
JMHO

Chris Miller

WF Veterans
I've had stories published (e.g., decomP) with no acceptance slip, which pisses me off. I do simultaneous subbing, even if the guidelines request otherwise. I'd say, at least send a retraction.

dale

as you didn't sign the contract? i don't see it as a "burning bridges" situation. maybe slightly rude. lol.
but let's face it. this business is filled with ruder people than you. i've withdrew after acceptance before.
i've actually withdrew at a much later stage in the process. the editor did a complete hatchet job on my story
and i refused to sign off on the edited version. they acted kind of shitty about it, but i didn't want my name on it
after they changed it. oh well. lol. shit happens. it got published elsewhere my way.

JJBuchholz

Wouldn't that violate a lot of contracts?

Not at all. Both times I have been published, their only stipulation was that they get to publish it first upon acceptance. Both times, I waited for about a week after each story was published, then put it up on my own website (in my WRITING section), while also providing a link to their websites (right to the published piece) on my front page.

-JJB

dale

Not at all. Both times I have been published, their only stipulation was that they get to publish it first upon acceptance. Both times, I waited for about a week after each story was published, then put it up on my own website (in my WRITING section), while also providing a link to their websites (right to the published piece) on my front page.

-JJB
i guess it does depend upon the contract. but for the fledgling writer? read the fucking contract. it could say 1 year. it could say 5 years.
or it could be a case like my first novel. i didn't really read or comprehend it. but i signed my rights to my first novel over for ETERNITY. lol.
pay attention to your paperwork, people. ok?

Cephus

Pick which one you want to go with and tell the other offers no thank you. Unless you signed something legally binding, you're under no obligation whatsoever.