Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Wishing it was Fiction (1 Viewer)

huitzil

I considered putting this in the short stories, but since it actually happened, I guess it more belongs here. I was hoping writing it would be theraputic, but it still sucks to think about, maybe I will be able to laugh about it someday, but that might take a while.

I forgot today was my mother’s birthday, so instead of handing her a card right now my hand was wrapping around the cold vase of hospital gift shop flowers.
The mini fridge for the pre-made bouquets slid closed swooshing the same sound the medical cabinets creak. I needed 5 ccs of guilt flowers, stat. Carnations were 12 dollars, roses, 18, the lilies looked too much like death. I sifted though my backpack with my volunteer shirt in it until I found my wallet. I paid for the carnations and as a lady in a red smock pushed a small square of paper at me that told me telling me to “get well”, I asked, do you have anything else?
In the car my hand shot out to stop the tipping vase as I made a sharp turn mimicking the gesture parents learn when they slam the breaks with their toddler in the front seat. I pulled into the parking lot at exactly 7:30. Tonight was going to be a good night. I felt a little guilty about missing my mom’s birthday dinner to go to a poetry reading, but this might have been my last opportunity to see Derrick Brown and I think she understood, or I hope she did. Any lingering guilt faded as I stepped into the gym and took a seat in the bleachers. Will took the seat next to me, though it’s not entirely his fault, I didn’t stop him.
Afterwards I was high on too many perfect words and a quiet night made asymmetrical with a misshapen moon. Tonight would be a good night, and since Will had parked all the way in the lot behind the school, would I give him a ride? He fidgeted in the passenger seat as songs I had never heard before played on the radio, now I can’t remember the station. The lot was empty because we had hung around after to get autographs. Tonight was too perfect, and I didn’t belong.
I turned off the ignition and paused before getting out of the car, and we held a hesitating hug. I stood waiting to be kissed, I expected it the night and the empty dark parking lot demanded it, though he paused, stuttering he had never kissed a girl, I returned flippantly, neither had I. The sarcasm sank back down in my stomach. This wasn’t right, and I was so sorry, but Will I didn't really like you but I was nearing 18 and every dorky day that passed with me never having been kissed became even more embarrassing. That’s a lie, it wasn’t just that, but the constant impulse to kill every part of myself that was awkward and vulnerable, everything about myself that is sweet and naïve, I wanted it dead and buried. So here’s where you come in. You stumbled, “You know” then stopped short, I had to know, “I think about you a lot.” Please, please stop being sweet, why couldn’t I have found a jerk who liked me, why couldn’t I have found someone like me. And yet, you wouldn’t kiss me. I took a step closer and you must have seen my frustration. “Maybe”, you suggested “just on the cheek” I sighed and gave up. Maybe it was for the best, maybe I wouldn’t hurt you this way, but after my cheek your lips were on mine, brief, dry though I must have felt your teeth. That was it, I had found myself in the scene of an awkward indie movie, when though I would never admit it, I wanted the music swelling Hollywood smooch. My friend told me her first slobbered cheeto dust and spit into her mouth. I might have wanted that instead, at least I would have known it actually happened.
You shook and stuttered good night and got into your car. I winced when you said in too clear a voice “I love you”. Though I wrote it off as a verbal slip, like accidently saying it to the pizza delivery guy on the phone because you are so used to saying Iloveyougoodbye to your parents. Back at home I had flowers to give to my mom and a calc test to study for, and I wish you really did matter more to me. The drive home was numb, but for now the asymmetrical night would not judge me. And all I can do is hope you will learn to hate me before I hurt you.

Last edited:

mammamaia

you have a gift for telling a personal tale and it's definitely got potential, but needs work to be reader-friendly and marketable...

you say it's a true story, but i have a hard time believing that, at 18, you'd never been kissed!... even way back in my day [early 50s], that was a near impossibility, except for what the boys would consider the dog-ugiliest girl in the school/neighborhood...

if you want some help with this, drop me a line...

love and hugs, maia
[email protected]

huitzil

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I wrote is kind of quickly, so now I'm coming across some grammar errors and such, but other than that I would like any feedback (even if you basically called me dog-ugly). The story is true, yes I know, awkward and embarassing, but as far as I know I'm not a troll, though since this is online I guess you'll never know...
Thanks for commenting,
-huitzil

mammamaia

ack!... i certainly didn't mean you!...

anyway, you need to separate your paragraphs and dialog with line spaces, since it's a pain to read solid blocks like that... indents don't work in posting, which is why we have to resort to spaces...

and the bold is also a headache-bringer, so i suggest getting it into a nice, normal, slightly smaller font, as well...

then, i'm sure you'll get more feedback...