Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Winter (1 Viewer)

TheFuhrer02

WF Veterans
While the first two lines complement each other very nicely, I am a bit unsure of the third one. It's as if something is missing. I myself have little experience with haikus, so I can't give much feedback. Perhaps hinting the immobility you want to point out into a word that represents winter? Something like "frozen," or "frigid" may work.

Nevertheless, a wonderful picture you have depicted here, as always.

Mike in the West

Thanks for commenting. I wrote this piece a few weeks ago at a time when the UK almost ground to a halt because of heavy deep snow settling on already frozen roads and other surfaces. Airports here were shut down, motorists were stranded, many people couldn't even leave their homes.

So in that context it was true to say the 'nothing now can move', as in the third line of the poem. The top deep surface snow was not frigid nor frozen hard, but still caused the almost nation-wide shut down.