Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Why? (1 Viewer)

So I drown my sorrows and regrets.. every sip brings me a little closer to forgetfulness.. I don't understand why I act the way I do.. why I always yarn for something new.. why something so perfect feels so empty.. why do I chose to destroy the thing I want so bad. Why is it that the thing I once craved begins to fade away.. why my attentions change. I don't understand why I'm in love with a dream and the reality never lives up.. so I destroy and forget.. then regret.. I forget the good.. I forget the bad.. but something new has no past, no present.. no good, no bad.. I know what I miss now "passion" something so basic but so necessary.. I yarn for the excitement, the challenge, the unpredictability.. change.. have I changed, why!!!! Why think this way... why behave this way.. why hurt the one person that truly cares..

2020Syd2020

Hello,

This is an emotive piece and I as a reader appreciate the honesty of it. Where you lose me is that I feel like there isn’t enough poetic urgency for me, it feels fragmented structurally where I think you want to create flow and a more stream of consciousness like feel to how it reads. To get around this, if you have created they effect you want, then I would suggest adopting more traditional stanzas, that way you can use enjambement etc., to really dig down into the fragmented nature of the imagery.

I just feel like this is a piece of spontaneous writing that is yet to see the editing room, but I do look forward to where you go with it.

Cheers

Syd

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor

So I drown my sorrows and regrets..
every sip brings me a little closer to forgetfulness..
I don't understand why
I act the way I do..
why I always yarn for something new..

why something so perfect feels so empty..
why do I chose to destroy the thing I want so bad.
Why is it that the thing I once craved begins to fade away..
why my attentions change.

I don't understand why I'm in love with a dream
and the reality never lives up
.. so I destroy and forget.. then regret..
I forget the good.. I forget the bad..
but something new has no past
, no present.. no good, no bad..

I know what I miss now "passion" something so basic but so necessary.. I yarn for the excitement, the challenge, the unpredictability.. change.. have I changed, why!!!! Why think this way... why behave this way.. why hurt the one person that truly cares..

Ok, well I played with line breaks and stanzas to show you how to guide your reader through the emotions you are expressing... this, of course is just an example, hope this helps...

I like where you are going, but you are not there YET;)... EDIT.. edit, then do it again... slice away all the excess so your reader can connect with the emotions...

Welcome to the fabulous Poet's Showcase... ;)