Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Why Orson Scott Card sucks (1 Viewer)

kerpoe

I'm going to piss alot of people off, and frankly I don't care

Let's take all the story's written by Eggar Rice Burroughs, George Orwell and Carl Simon and make one cliched series of pulp fiction crap. Ender's Game made me want to cry...because it was so horribly awful that I was worried that literature had died altoghether! The book itself copies the characters of Burrough's "Final Front" and changes their names. Also, I'm sure Card's plotline was used in at least 4 of the Star Trek episodes, and Battlestar gallactica as well. There's nothing original about his books and there is certainly nothing spectacular about them either.

AMEN

The Holy Moly

Don't forget to mention that everything has already been done...so in essence nothing is original.

So everything must suck for you.

Londongrey

The Holy Moly said:
Don't forget to mention that everything has already been done...so in essence nothing is original.

There is a difference between unoriginal and cliche. There is still a lot of original writing going on that is being published. But just like music you have to hunt a little through the chaffe.

Ajax

I am so pissed off!
I love Card's work.
I am so upset!

But not really.
:)

Hey man, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I've always been quite inspired by Card's writing, although I certainly haven't read all of it, or even the most well known pieces.

But if you don't like it, there's nothing wrong with saying so. There are quite a few books I've picked up when browsing and decided I didn't like them. I don't remember the names of all the authors though. If I can't skim the first chapter and catch an interest, I put it down and move on. Life's too short, and I don't have time to read them all.

The Holy Moly

The forum topic is recommended reading.

Saying that something sucks because it lacks originality is unoriginal.

I find Orson Card’s books to be great because he explains why characters act how they do. His characters don’t do something without a reason.

Of all the books I’ve read I think that Card strikes closest to the truth of the human condition.

I haven’t read some of the other authors kerpoe mentioned but from the little I have read of George Orwell I don’t see how Card even compares. They write about different topics.

kerpoe, I am curious to know what your interpretation of the plotline was in Ender’s Game.

Talia_Brie

The Holy Moly said:
The forum topic is recommended reading.

Saying that something sucks because it lacks originality is unoriginal.

*Cringe*

We've had these discussions before (check out the thread on Eragon in Books and Authors, we went to town).

But at the worst, what you're suggesting is that this should be moved to Books and Authors.

I've been here a while and I don't mind having these kinds of discussions. I will put in one bit of advice:

Make sure this remains about the books of Orson Scott Card, and try very hard to keep it professional. A whole thread disappeared once because that didn't happen.

*Cough* Terry Goodkind*cough*

I

Ilan Bouchard

Talia_Brie said:

Hm... do you need a glass of water? I just recovered from a bought of flu myself, it's the winters, I tell ya'.

S

smog|curling

Talia_Brie said:
Make sure this remains about the books of Orson Scott Card, and try very hard to keep it professional.
That might be hard, though, when the title of the thread is so blunt in declaring that "Card sucks." It's been many years since I read something that he wrote, so I don't really have an opinion about his books either way, but I'm just saying that perhaps the thread's title should be changed.

Ham

Talia_Brie said:
Make sure this remains about the books of Orson Scott Card, and try very hard to keep it professional. A whole thread disappeared once because that didn't happen.

Incidentally, what I don't like about Goodkind is very much what I don't like about Card. Goodkind has written thousands of fantasy pages as thinly veiled homage to Ayn Rand. Card has written thousands of fantasy/SF pages as thinly veiled Mormom allegory/preaching.

To Card's credit, he's also written quite a bit where he didn't preach or draw direct parallels to Mormonism. And some of that writing is very well done. But on the whole, he's just a little too religiously heavy-handed for me. (At least, he was when I stopped reading his new stuff because of this, which is probably ten years ago now. Though, since he's still receiving criticism for this with his new novels, I feel safe in avoiding his new works, too.)

I

Ilan Bouchard

I don't think there's anything wrong with relating literature to religion. If you don't like it, of course that's fine. But if it's cleverly done, with unique comparisons and such, then I think it adds an element, especially for those who are able to catch each cross-over. It adds a second depth to the story.

T

Tulkas

"The secret to originality is hiding your sources” – Albert Einstein

Without trying to be Card's sterotypical supporter, Kerpoe, your argument is that of simply personal opinion and a limited field of reference.

Maybe what you and others do not realize is, as mentioned above, Card's popularity does not come from his striking story line, while decent, it comes from his complex ability to analyze the thought process and logical conclusiosn of his characters. While in Enders Game, a slight twist at the end does through a bit of flare to the plot, it is in Enders Shadow as well as Enders Game, that we see Card develop his characters and their ingenious thoughts brilliantly...

Saponification

Londongrey said:
The Holy Moly said:

There is a difference between unoriginal and cliche. There is still a lot of original writing going on that is being published. But just like music you have to hunt a little through the chaffe.

Cliches aren't nessecarily bad. Think Terry Pratchett - he uses a lot of fantasy cliches. It depends on how you handle them, I think. Pratchett is very open about what he does... he doesn't try and pass off all of his stuff as original, saying, "Hey, I invented this!"

swisstony

tulkas, you're mistaken if you think you're counter is less limited a frame of reference.

His characterisation is fine, but it's hardly brilliant, I'd reserve praise like that for books like The Corrections.

Pratchett's take is entirely homage mingling in social commentary. I think those aspects, that approach really are original.

Pendulum

Ok, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. Everyone's entitled to their opinions so here is mine: personally, I enjoy Card's Ender series. I have not actually read the books stated in the first post, and I rarely watch Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica, so I'm not aware of any possible "plot stealing" that may be going on. I mainly enjoy his work because of the concepts it presents, which are, for lack of a better word, really cool. The reason I read is for enjoyment, if I don't like a book I won't read it. To me, this series is a decent read, even though he is not as great a writer as others mentioned in this thread. Just my opinion.