Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

*** Why I Am An Atheist? *** (1 Viewer)

Mean

http://www.religioustolerance.org/mettetal01.htm

I read this article written by an atheist. I respect the person who wrote this. He is an intelligent man who said what he had to say way better than any of you guys (the atheist posters) and way better than anything I have said to rebut.

I don't disrespect your "no religion" choice. I don't, however, respect the organization with which you've aligned yourself in that endeavor.

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]"[/FONT]Every religion is good that teaches man to be good; and I know of none that instructs him to be bad[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]." [/FONT]That was said by Thomas Paine. I don't know for sure what he did other than being a journalist in the 1700s, but that statement has deep meaning.

Lost said:
Inevidence is not evidence in itself, but reason to beleive the inevidenced subject is false.

I have no idea what that means. :)

Elvenswordsman

WF Veterans
well as it turns out god doesn't "Come straight to earth and help a weak student" because he helps those who depend on him and pray to him. We all might say these,some of which i mean to say because i am a christian, but i don't think your way of thinking is straight on.

Why would god help everyone with a problem? As jesus said in John 15:7,
"If you abide in me,and my words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you." That verse meaning that if you pray to him and abide in him, he wont give you everything you want like a new convertible, a pool, someone dead, but he will give you the things that you NEED when you ask for them because you will then understand what the difference between the two are. "The two" meaning what we want and what we need.

He doesn't give you this directly like" Dear lord give me a car" and you wake up with a viper sitting in your yard. He will provide as life goes on so that you dont ever fall into the pit of destruction, only if that is what he means to have happen to you. If god wills something to happen then something will. He will proide to you.

Now i'm only 13 but i am a full into the lord, our god, with all my heart. Why you cant accept this is because you don't have faith. The bible says that all you need is Faith to move a mountain, which happened and is proven in history and in the bible. In history though they don't have an idea why the mountain fell into the ocean but it happened because someone had enough faith to move this mountain.

You may not think i speak truly but it is the truth and i have enough faith to believe in it. You may say "not faith to believe in it but stupidity" but yet again this shows your lack of faith.

Last edited:

Mean

I also read a story about written by an atheist high school student.

A group of Christian students were gathered around doing their thing (praying and singing). The atheist children decided they would go over to the same area and "practice some of their beliefs". The story says the Christian students got angry and started threatening them. What do you suppose "practice some of their beliefs" means? What could they have been doing to provoke a bunch of Christian students who were previously engaged in worship into attacking them? I bet it wasn't anything peaceful. The student then complained to the principal because the Christian students attacked them and was upset when his group got in trouble.

Elvenswordsman

WF Veterans
God doesn't put hate in the world, Hate was placed there when man first disobeyed god in genesis.

Also in James 1:6-7 it says "But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will recieve anything from the Lord."

I doubt that this convinces you but i would love to talk to you about this and that and about your opinions.

Elvenswordsman

WF Veterans
Atheism is a sin, not a belief. I guess you could believe in a sin but thats just stupid.

Atheists, more than likely, Worship idols. Not idols as in Budhism but idols as in Cars, sports, television, and so on, things created by man himself.

Here's something that'll boggle you. If there's no god answer this without doubting yourself.

A watch is in the middle of an open field. Obviously there was some sort of design that went into the watch, and for there to be a design there must be a designer.

If there is no god, how did evolution start? Obviously we couldn't have just popped out of nowheres because of the theories against the "Spontaneous generation" where they thought that maggots were just coming from out of nowhere but after putting a selectively permiable barrier across the top they noticed that the flies weren't able to get in and noticed that no maggots were on the meat.

Also that thing about the big bang, please tell me how these formed without a creator. If you can i will think on it and whatever god wills will happen.

Elvenswordsman

WF Veterans
God also gave us free will and that is how we managed to screw the world to this point by disobeying gods will.

In order to make wise decisions and to abide in him he will give us what we need but not what we want because we will understand what the differences are between because of his word.

Elvenswordsman

WF Veterans
Atheism is a "Belief",if thats what you want to call it, created by man who has killed the world and sinned as many as a thousand times a day or more. Look at it at a glance instead of writing this essay on something you've only heard about to fill a two page story.

Elvenswordsman

WF Veterans
We all know that you have enough info to argue the fact that god is and atheists are stupid for about two pages but in the end i have about a 1500 page book arguing against whatever you can say. thats about, what, 750 pages of mine against every one page of yours.

Lost

Elven swordsmen

You are the reason I am atheist. It IS a beleif, not a sin. I beleive in nothing, and who says I worship cars? Who says I worship women? I am none of what you say. I'm not atheist so I can sin every day- I'm atheist because people like you rush in and act better than everyone else with no reason as to why. Good fucking job, you've got a 2000 year old book, a rag with jesus stains on it, and a fucking mountain with bits of wood.

And you act like we're stupid and low because that's not enough evidence for us to beleive in some onmnicient being in the sky who tells us not to fuck, not to yearn for something better, not to look at what we can't have. And you, you stupid fucks insult us.

Oh congratufuckinglations you have a new book arguing why there has to be a god. Well guess what? There's even more books against it. There's a book for a book for a book.

And for the watch question- so existance is here? What if the watchmaker died? What if the watch happened over millions of years? Surely if there is a time complex going back into infinity it must have happened once. Think about this question: What made god? Surely HE didn't come out of nowhere.

There were a lot of 'fucks' in that entry. Wow.

Anyway, I think we're all getting confused a little bit. Atheist believe that there is no God. Thus they don't agree with creationism.

That's the issue at hand, atheist don't believe there is such a thing as a God. Jesus doesn't really play into this unless you bring in religion which is actually a different topic, but in some ways related. If we want to tackle religions that should call for another thread. Lets tackle one issue at a time here.

Elvenswordsman, you make points but to what end? I understand what you're trying to do but forcing your beliefs on those so against what you believe is not the answer. It is a great you are strong in your faith, but you also have to realize you are dealing with people who are as strong in their non-faith as you are in your faith. Lead by example not angry, arrogant words.

Lost, you are a very opnionated person and you are very strong in your beliefs. That is very respectable and honorable. But if you truly wish for those beliefs to be taking seriously you must do so in an intelligent, mature manner.

Elvenswordsman

WF Veterans
I'm sorry if it seemed i was forcing my beliefs upon all of you but i don't think i was. i was defending the christian belief with a passion and am sorry for the insults.

Hodge

pliable
Elvenswordsman said:
A watch is in the middle of an open field. Obviously there was some sort of design that went into the watch, and for there to be a design there must be a designer.

Uh oh, someone's taken philosophy 101!

Ever hear of quantum theory? Probability rules everything. Every atom and subatomic particle acts a certain way based on chance. The world appears ordered because for every particle that doesn't do what is most probably, millions of other particles do.

Also, the watch is a human invention that wasn't and then all of a sudden was. Life didn't just appear in its present form, it started simple and evolved.

Elvenswordsman said:
If there is no god, how did evolution start?

Only a weak mind defaults to a divine excuse whenever an unanswerable question poses itself.

Elvenswordsman said:
God also gave us free will and that is how we managed to screw the world to this point by disobeying gods will.

If he gives us a free will but he has a will for us of his own then it completely defeats the point. Not to mention that we really don't have a free will. We act in certain ways based on our biological temperament and our social upbringing. For instance: you are Christian because you were raised to be. Not because you think it's the truth. If you had been born in Kabul you'd be a muslim.

There's one very simple fact that all religious folk seem to forget: all religions were created by people. Created as in they have not been around forever and they arose once people banded together into larger societies. It's certainly not coincidental that each religion preaches the same moral values that the society it spawned from held.

Now, if a religion was created by people, then how can it be actual, universal truth? And if it's not actual, universal truth, what purpose other than acting as a crutch does religion serve?

From a realistic and scientific standpoint, atheism is the way to go. There never has been and isn't any evidence of any god or other divine being. It's best not to let silly beliefs interfere with the pursuit of true knowledge and truth.

From a philosophical and idealistic standpoint, agnosticism is the way to go, because it doesn't entirely discount the possibility of a divine being—even that notion has about the same amount of weight to back it up as the notion of there being invisible pink elepehants all around us.

And Elven, in the future, you can just quote people's text and respond to it in one post instead of seven. It's really hard to follow you when you do that.

WriteStuff

God has an eternal plan for all of us and it has two paths. One leads to Heaven, the other to Hell. God has laid out the requirements for going to Heaven, and he has also warned us about what will happen to us in Hell.

He gave us free will so that we can make our own choices. The Devil was once an angel but because of his freewill, he defied God and became evil. The choice is ultimately up to us. How could God be loving and caring if he forced us to go to Heaven?

Think of it as doing a project for school. The best-case scenario would be an A, the worst an F. The teacher gives you a set of guidelines that state exactly what must be done to get an A. If you follow these, you get an A. If not, you get an F.

Life is the same way. If we choose right, we get an A (go to Heaven). If not, we get an F (go to Hell). But God is loving and he does care about our eternal soul. He has just chosen to give us a chance to do what we will with our lives.

Hodge

pliable
And once again, someone says what supposedly is without saying how it is or why it is.

If I were to put my faith text, it would have to be the texts the bible borrows from for its own stories.

Mean

Lost said:
Good fucking job, you've got a 2000 year old book, a rag with jesus stains on it, and a fucking mountain with bits of wood.

Holy crap! I don't think I've ever been more offended in my entire life! And I'm old!

I despise you completely now and not because you're an atheist. I despise you as a person. I forgive your ignorance, but I despise you. I don't hate you, but I'm sure if I got to know you I would.

I'm removing myself from this and any further "I'm an atheist and you're retarded" posts. I like this forum and I would like to continue to visit and post, but you people are beginning to make me physically ill.

mammamaia

Atheism is a "Belief",if thats what you want to call it, created by man who has killed the world and sinned as many as a thousand times a day or more.

huh???... that's one of the silliest bits of illogical gobbledygook i've ever come across... who is this guy who supposedly 'created' atheism?... how did he 'kill' a world that is clearly still 'alive'?... and, how can you know how many times a day he sins?... and, 'sins' according to whose definition?...

or, did you mean 'man' as in 'mankind'?... if so, it makes even less sense, since so many DO believe in one god or another...

Last edited: