Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

*** Why I Am An Atheist? *** (1 Viewer)

tanmay

Oh God! Help Me!
Thank God!
God is great!

Have you ever wondered how many times we use phrases like these in our daily lives? It certainly would be next to impossible to keep an account of that!

But have you ever given it a thought that whether you really mean those words or you are saying them just for the sake of saying? Well, to be honest I don’t say these words but sometimes if I go bananas (which happens very rarely) and these phrases somehow manage to creep out of my mouth, I can assure you I don’t mean a single letter of it! Because I don’t like to give the credit of a deed to a person who hasn’t done it!

When we are in trouble we say Oh God! Help Me! Do you think god is really going to come on earth and give you a helping hand in whatever you want? Will he come and do the homework of a weak student? Will he come and make a poor man rich overnight? The simple answer is a big No! The only person who can honestly and full heartedly help you in this whole world can be seen if you stand in front of a mirror! Then, why you need to beg for help to someone who doesn’t even has the proof of its existence? This isn’t really a cool idea in my mind!

When we succeed in something or when we are relieved of a trouble we say Thank God! Huh! Give me a break! We have entered in the 21st century and we people still don’t feel shy in appreciating someone for nothing! If someone really deserves to be appreciated it's you, my dear friend, who has put the work into action and achieved success! Give a pat on your back for your efforts and don’t waste your feelings for someone as dumb as a stone!

God is great! One thing that I’ll have to admit is that I would award this phrase as The Joke Of The Millennium! For me even a pig is greater than god, it at least does its duty of feeding its babies! What has this so called Great God done other than exploiting the money, time and emotions of the mob!

Believing in god is just like taking an insurance policy! The human nature is such that it needs assurance and the comfort of something to fall back on, at each and every step of his life! And the creation of this God is not for any other purpose!

It’s high time now that we understand the fact that we should not believe in anything that hasn’t been scientifically proved and which doesn’t has an appropriate evidence to support it! And God is in the top most position of this list!

Rather than wasting our money and time at temples, mosques and churches; it would be hundred times better if we use that money to satisfy the hunger of a poor man who isn’t capable of buying himself food! To educate a poor child who isn’t fortunate enough to go to a school! To make this world a better place to live in!

If the world calls people of these wishful thinking atheists, then so be it!
I am an atheist!

Bad Craziness

WF Veterans
Apart from being poorly written you are really quite poorly informed. Re-read your posts to make sure that they make sense before you post them. Just a few quick questions...

Why do you assume god is a person?
Why do you assume god is a male?
Do you believe in science?
Do you have faith in science?
Do you have a soul?

tallius

All true.In life we make our own decisions, our own money and we make our own fortunes(e.g marrige( unsure of spelling), kid's, job).I personally don't believe that there is a God.How could there be so much hate and violence in the world if there is?How do we know that "the Bible" is really not just a really old story that some man/woman wrote?If so then call me an Atheist to!

DaveP

That essay really doesn't do the issue justice, It's just opinion rather than fact and is written very poorly. The whole argument of whether god exists or not, and people's rights to believe in whatever they want, needs a bit more of an in depth discussion than arguing a pig is greater than a being millions of people believe in and talk to nightly.

I personally am agnostic so I'm not saying this from a holier than thou preaching viewpoint, more a "stop expousing an opinion and start making a valid argument for your beliefs" stand.

tanmay

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Well since this is my 1st post so you can't really expect it to be a masterpiece. Can you?

I have come here to learn and will hopefully do, with your honest feedback.

Keep em comin,

Regards,
Tanmay.

J

Jimbob

Hi Tanmay,
It's just as hard to present an argument against the existence of God as it is
to argue the opposite. For one thing, you'd have to define the particular concept of God you're attacking, i.e. is God a physical being who is male or female? Is God an agent who set the universe in motion and now sits watching it like a cosmic child waiting for a toy to run down? Or is God
a being that cares about creation and intervenes?

What I'm saying is that you'd be assigning attributes to an unknown entity and then disproving them. which is not particularly convincing

But then, maybe God is just a concept, a handle that people use to get some kind of grip on a slippery, elusive reality? Then perhaps belief in God is useful
even if God isn't a physical reality, just as justice, mercy, and dignity are useful.

Jimbob

Hey Tanmay!
You bring up some good points about the casual manner in which some people use God's name; and you certainly have a descisive point of view on the issue. I'm not sure, however, that some of your arguements are backed up on anything more than comtempt for any Greater Beings... and that really isn't enough for a strong piece. It also struck me as a bit odd; and perhaps a bit forthright; in your comparison between God and a pig... A pig does feed it's young, certainly. But pehaps those who follow God do not expect Him to extend a hand from the heavens and offer them tidings of the edible variety. Perhaps they merely turn to Him for guidance, and for the inner peace that the knowledge of a Greater Being brings. And no mortal man can give that to a person, so as was mentioned in some of the other feedback... Maybe the assumption that God himself is human is a bit of a longshot. But anyway, that's just my personal opinion. Your opinions are valid, and i encourage you to keep writing...
Cheers

Acid

Last edited:

bobothegoat

The biggest complaint is that you use too many exclamation points. I'm imagining the voice of this piece as that annoying guy on TV dressed in the outfit he stole from the Riddler called Lesko who acts overly excited about his federal grant book. I'd suggest refining this to a more calm style, one that has less exclamation points.

mammamaia

okay, so the writing isn't exactly top level, and the argument not perfectly presented or backed up adequately to satisfy some of you... but why be so rudely critical, when you could just as well be polite and offer some caring suggestions for improving the piece?

cut the kid some slack, guys!... fyi, those of you who criticized the writing quality didn't do all that well in your own posts... people in glass houses...............

tanmay, you raise a valid point and just need to hone your writing skills a bit... i happen to agree with you entirely, on the premise of your piece... and i've done quite a bit of writing on it in my own essays... if you're interested in seeing your pov on this backed up, drop me a line and i'll give you the titles to some you can find on my site, if you don't want to browse for them...

love and hugs, maia
[email protected]

teflon

Well, what’s the alternative? Should polite Christian majority practice their credo of turning the other cheek and let an atheist guide their circle, a village, a party, a country with the moral values attendant to the atheist mindset?

Does an atheist guarantee moral judgment? When was the last time the world has seen an atheist or a collection of atheists practice such basic things as kindness, compassion, charity?

Atheists used fall in love with French and Soviet society, but the extreme corruption, be it sexual or political, would fail to sell the image of the countries as the champion of atheism. Soviet Union has been buried together with the pharaoh-like old guard atheistic party bosses that whose writing would have made Writing Forums proud.

Atheists used to have their own general, based not in Russia, nor in China, nor on a Parisian street. The Commander-in-Chief, Madalyn Murray O'Hair, was a proud mother of illegitimate children. She abused her son, driving him to become a preacher, threatening him with murder, which she later conveniently claimed to imply as symbolic; and his act of being religious she announced, out of the depths of the classic atheistic pseudo-liberal sanctimoniousness and compassion for others, as humanly unforgivable.

Not to mention her frivolous, against-the-public-good lawsuit weapon with which she intimidated countless organization, the most prominent of which was NASA. The space agency incurred her draconic wrath when it become known that one of the astronauts on the surface of the Moon recited Bible passages. The question: is this atheism, which proposes a human, kinder face as a substitute for a supposedly duplicitous physiognomy of religion, when this very atheism merely ascends the vacant throne of dictatorial tyrants?

Until her ascendancy as such dictator, the USA had known none of such caliber, watching across the ocean the fates of Stalin, Lenin, Hitler and the likes.

Within her organization, she wielded a Stalinist fist. Owing thanks to the American system of justice and law enforcement, the great purges were prevented, and members of her organization who were to a slightest degree suspected of being theologian sympathizers, or held on to non-conformist ideologies, were speedily fired in a process naturally devoid of compassion.

The above resume presents her as an excellent pinup girl, or, is it a poster-person(?), for the joys of being an atheist.

If I was an atheist I would rub my chin in puzzlement at what must be the divine retribution: one of her atheist employees, practicing noene other than the freedom from the commandments “Thy Shalt Not Kill,” “Thy Shalt Not Steal”, had stolen her organization’s funds, abducted the theological dominatrix, eventually mutilating her body beyond recognition into countless pieces, said remains identified only by the fragments of her artificial hip.

Long Live Atheism!

tanmay

Jimbob,

I agree with you. This article certainly contains lots of loopholes. I will definitely try to back up my statements with stronger arguments in the future.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Tanmay.

Last edited:

tanmay

Acidic Kiss,

Your opinions are certainly very valid too. I just vented out whatever was in my mind while writing this. Maybe in future, I'll put more effort in my works before posting them.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I appreciate it. :)

Regards,
Tanmay.

tanmay

Goat,

Sorry bout exclamations. Considering this was my first post, I guess I got a bit over-excited!

Regards,
Tanmay.

tanmay

Maia,

I cant find enough words to thank you. After all that criticism, I was terribly feeling out of place, thinking that maybe I am not gud enough to belong here. But the way you have backed me up, I appreciate that and wud definitely work towards improving my writing skills (that's the basic purpose why I am here).

And yeah thanks for agreeing with my POV as well.

Regards,
Tanmay.

tanmay

Teflon,

Your feedback is much better than my original post. Although being an atheist is a no gurantee that the person will be kind and compassionate, but being a theist is not a gurantee of that as well. But yeah in the end we both agree on one point - Long Live Atheism!

Regards,
Tanmay.

teflon

I'd happily modify my wish to be cynical, thinking how atheism always manages to stick its Madalyn Murray O'Hair mugshot into the lives of innocents.

mammamaia

teflon... murray wasn't/isn't the be all and end all of atheism... she was merely one person who claimed to be an atheist... to use her as the epitome of non-belief in gods and religions is being just as narrow-minded as many devout followers of the various and sundry creeds can be... wars are begun and fought by religious folks, not by atheists... and most are waged because of one religious group's refusal to allow others the right to their own version of the fairy tale world of gods and religion... i don't know why murray scares you so much, but you should get over it, as she's had no great impact on anything or anyone, except to help uphold the separation between state and religion that the founders of the us wisely felt was necessary... so, why don't you live up to your name and not let her stick in your craw?...

teflon

I ain't said nothing of being scared of her. In the post I recline in comfort as I recount her career of evil. If the pen is mightier than the sword, then she difinetely ended her days according to another axiom - live by the swrod, die by the sword - she bery likely ended up in a mulch shredder - a multitude of swords?
Nay, on the contrary, I stand in awe of divine justice that has caught up with all the atheists I've ever known.

I am not a Bible thumper, but these lines from Proverbs 3:25 and Isaia 8:10 do convince me, at least, to nod my head in retrospective agreement:

Do not fear sudden terror, nor the destruction of the wicked when it comes. Contrive a scheme, but it will be foiled; conspire a plot, but it will not materialize, for God is with us

Last edited:

Mean

How can somebody who doesn't believe in God be so vocal in their stance against him? Isn't atheism defined by a lack of belief in God? I mean, can a person who doesn't believe in the existence of God really be so down on him?

I just...this whole atheism thing has my entire mind boggled...even the parts I don't use. Is atheism an easy escape from needing to believe in something. Is it a total lack of faith? What is the attraction to walking around not believing in God?

Lost

Well...

There is no proof of god, it bugs us in ways unparallel to your understanding, people wont stop trying to convert me, and several other reasons that piss me off when mentioned.

Inevidence is not evidence in itself, but reason to beleive the inevidenced subject is false.