Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

WHY Eragon is a very bad book, and shouldn't be read, EVER (1 Viewer)

blademasterzzz

The Book That Is Eragon

I admit, Eragon is something of an obsession of mine.
I just cannot grasp the fact that something so bland, predictable, full with boring characters and plagiarism attracts so many people.

Fans especially, I would like to read this, and answer some of my questions.

ERAGON FAULTS:

Oh boy, where do I start.

1) Paolini seems unable to write anything remotely original.
The whole story, from cover to cover, is a huge mix of all possible books I have ever read.

Dragons, Dragon Riders - been done. (ie. Pern Books)

Evil Empire, evil king - been done. (Ie. a million stories, including Star Wars)

Magic - been done in EXACTLY the same fashion as described (The Earthsea Trilogy)

The "true speech" of creation that Brom teaches Eragon in order that he may work magic comes from Ursula LeGuin's incomparable Earthsea series right on down to the detail about one not being able to lie in the true speech. See a Wizard Of Earthsea by LeGuin and the entire Earthsea series for the best and most majestic depiction of dragons I have ever read -- and that beats Tolkien and McCaffrey.

Characters: The female characters are a joke, while Eragon is a teenager that seems to get angry whenever he takes a breath.
He also seems to fall unconsious or asleep at the slightest touch or sound.
Saphira is mildly orignal, but nothing that hasn't been done before.

Creatures:
Elves - Tolkien Stereotypes
Dwarfs - same
Urgals - orcs with horns. Not 1% original.
Shade - bah. Seen it, read it.
If there are more creatures, I can't remember them because they are bland and forgettable.

I DARE YOU TO NAME FIVE THINGS IN ERAGON THAT ARE ORIGINAL!

2) Crappy writing.
Insane overuse of adverbs, while insane UNDERuse of the word "said".
instead, he uses 5 000 Synonyms like "snapped" "instructed" "barked".
Most of us here at WF know that it is OK to use said - it just faints away for the reader.

An example: "Sorry," Brom apologized quickly.

COMMON DEFENSES FOR ERAGON'S FAULTS:

"He was just a teenager when he wrote the book"

Ah yes, the most famous one.
Well, yes, but he PUBLISHED it. Which means, it is treated like ANY OTHER book published.
And just because he was young, that doesn't mean that people, especially children, should read this excuse for fantasy, which teaches BAD THINGS (More on this in "Why you shouldn't read Eragon")

"He wasn't STEALING, he was inspired."

Inspiration and theft are different things. It is one thing if I look at your painting, think it is wonderful, and paint my own in a similar theme.
IT IS ANOTHER if I take your painting and write my name on it!

What Paolini has done is BLATANT PLAGIARISM, and I am amazed that he didn't get sued.

"It is a children's book!"

Ah, no. It isn't. From his quote, "In my writing, I strive for a lyrical beauty somewhere between Tolkien at his best and Seamus Heaney’s translation of Beowulf", he clearly compares his writing to classics.

If he does it, why can't we?!

FANS, DO TELL ME THAT!

PAOLINI QUOTES:

Things "master" Paolini has said:

"I have the greatest job in the world! I get paid to write down my day-dreams!"

Yep, that is exactly what you do, I couldn't agree more. However, that sounds remarkably like FANFICTION, the lowest form of writing.
Real writers work hard on developing their stories, and the meanings tey yearn to send the reader through their book.

It is clear Paolini envisioned himself in Eragon's shoes.

He obviously thought himself very talented, since Eragon can go from farm boy to the GREATEST SWORDSMAN IN THE LAND in a month. Oh yea, and he is also stronger than the his mentor, apparently also one of the best wizards in the land.

That's like having Frodo beating Gandalf at Magic, and Aragorn at Swordsmanship.

"Eragon has all things a good story needs: A hero, an unspeakable evil, magical beasts, magic, and an epic romance!"

Yea. A story also needs ORIGINALITY. Forgot that one, heh?
And as for epic romance, the female character is a joke, with slightly more depth than a watering can.

WHY YOU SHOULDN'T READ ERAGON:

The most important part of my message.

Usually, I agree that any book that motivates children to read is a good book. (Despite that Harry Potter seems to have effects like: "A story about someone learning magic comes from Rowling, and anyone else writing about something similar is a very bad writer that we won't read, because he stole that idea!" (ACTUAL REVIEW, albeit from a kid).

But in the case of Eragon, the things is seems to teach are quite horrible:

"Anyone can become a rich and best-selling author, and it doesn't matter how clever you are. It matters how dumb your readers are!"
Actually, Dan Brown seems to teach that as well...

"With the right marketing, a book about clock repair can become a bestseller!"
Yep, that is the ONLY reason Eragon ever sold so well. Shameless publishers.

"Fantasy is all about dwarfs and elves, and ideas ripped off from other books. IT IS OK TO DO IT! See, I did it, and I'm more successful than most suckers who tried coming up with fascinating plots, characters and ideas!"

So, in conclusion: Don't read this book. Buying it just inflates Paolini's already gigantic ego, causing him to churn out more crap like this, and that, in turn, causes his readers to churn out crap like this.

MiloDaePesdan

*shakes head* Blade, you've just undone yourself. :wink:

Complaining about Eragon is an effective, if negative, way to sell Paolini's works. *hint hint, the hype* It's just like advertising.

Keridwen

Hey now I want to read it too!! You're right, MiloDaePesdan!

I understand where you're coming from, though, having read MANY cliche crappy plaguerised books!! :D

Still, the kid was only 15. And if he could make lots of money from writing a crappy book, then good for him! I wish I could!! LOLOL.

I agree with you Blade, but, you -are- advertising xD

Just because he was 15 when he started/wrote the book doesn't mean it has to be crap. Goodness. A good writer is good at ANY age.

Kaku-Ryu

Personally, I LOVE Eragon! I've never read the other books that it "copied" from and I don't really plan to so it's all good to me. :lol:

bobothegoat

Just because he was 15 when he started/wrote the book doesn't mean it has to be crap. Goodness. A good writer is good at ANY age.
A bad writer is also bad at any age, and I think that's what blade was trying to say- in part at least...

bobothegoat

Hmmm... I think I might just read this. BUT I will not buy it! I think I'll just borrow it from somebody foolish enough to have done so themselves. Or I'll use a public library or something.

tekp

I tried to read it but couldn't get into it.

You know the sequel, Eldest, is out soon? In the UK anyway.

L

lordcarbo

bobothegoat said:
A bad writer is also bad at any age, and I think that's what blade was trying to say- in part at least...

I disagree. It's creativity that doesn't increase, or at least it does not increase drastically, but writing skill do (unless creativity is what you meant ^^; ).

LensmanZ313

Tolkein used a lot of stuff from Norse/Old Germanic myhtologies. Some people keep forgetting this.

I haven't read Eragon yet. Now, I want to.

bobothegoat

shadowseer said:
Eragon is my insparation, and I don't really give a shit what you say.

Really, now? If you truly didn't care, you wouldn't post it in a public forum where we're bound to respond.

Anyway, I've read a section of it so far and will probably read the rest of it once I finish my other books and my sister is done with it. It just so happens my cousins have it checked out from a public library.

My initial reaction is that the writing style is terribly flawed. He doesn't use transitions so the writing feels very choppy. He also seems to have a problem of inappropriate adjectives and adverbs. I get a very strong feeling that all he

It's like this middle-school English teacher on amazon said. He said he could not finish it because it was almost exactly the same thing he'd see if he picked up a random notebook from one of his students.

blademasterzzz

Tolkein used a lot of stuff from Norse/Old Germanic myhtologies. Some people keep forgetting this.

Again, using and stealing are different.
Tolkien took ancient myths and imbued them with new characteristics, he took the races and gave them history, languages, new qualities.

Eragon simply took the races EXACTLY as they appeared in Tolkien.

His most major change was to give orcs horns. Yes, the only difference between tolkien's and paolini's orcs (He calls them urgals) are horns.

Hodge

pliable
Tolkien took mythical creatures and gave them form. Trolls, orcs, and goblins had all been words for the same sort of ambiguous creature. Elves were equally ambiguous, ranging from the evil forest people of Norse mythology to mischievous leprechaun-like creatures to pixies. Tolkien took the names and gave them form.

The Elvish language is based from the Welsh language as well. But he created the language himself. All by himself.

magikpumpkin

Re: WHY Eragon is a very bad book, and shouldn't be read, EV

I can't be arsed to read this Eragon book because well bascially i find no new original stuff in fantasy nowadays anyway. All i hear about is magic, magic magic magic, the occasional sword, evil little ugly creatures, wizards, swords, dragons magic and old strange men with wise and fascinating beards. The most interesting refreshing thing i've got into recently is Manga. Ninja Scroll and Dragonball Z!!! god damn i love Dragonball Z! Sure it's about powering up and strength and fighting and nobility and a lot of crazy people going "aaaaggh, urrghhh neeeaaghhh!!" for 1/2 an hour but it's so hilarious and addictive and oddly interesting too.

This however just seems like another thing i can't be arsed to read, sorry for all the fans out there. It's not because of your rant explaining it's apparently not original which doesn't reli help my opinion anyway (although i shouldn't make an opinion before i've tried something...), but i saw the cover, saw a dragon, the misspelt name, didn't think it interesting, went onto read Dan Brown. He's awesome.

So, sounded a little like you didn't like it too much. A few things i wanted to just nitpick you on during you're FURY my man that i don't agree with, regardless of the novel.

blademasterzzz said:
1) Paolini seems unable to write anything remotely original....

...Evil Empire, evil king - been done. (Ie. a million stories, including Star Wars)
Magic - been done in EXACTLY the same fashion as described (The Earthsea Trilogy)

Magic's been well overdone everywhere but i think the evil part is really a core part of Fantasy isn't it? The good and the bad?

blademasterzzz said:
2) Crappy writing.
insane UNDERuse of the word "said".
instead, he uses 5 000 Synonyms like "snapped" "instructed" "barked".
Most of us here at WF know that it is OK to use said - it just faints away for the reader.

An example: "Sorry," Brom apologized quickly.

Err, i'd argue that that is a good thing. If you had a repetitious Brom said this and Brom said that Brom went onto only SAY things and never really showed any emotion or feeling in his voice whatsoever because he's monotoneous. If he was a robot that'd be fine but if he's not i'd argue the author's showing skill. i wouldn't know since i haven't read it, but unless he really is completely going nuts with hyperbolic verbal processes then i see the point you're making as valid.

blademasterzzz said:
That's like having Frodo beating Gandalf at Magic, and Aragorn at Swordsmanship.

well frodo can't do magic cos he's a hobbit and you'd say he's too small to be a good swordsman but then look at yoda and how he bounced around in Episode II and III, oh that was funny wasn't it? you never know... soz i'm just ranting for the sake of it, but yes i get your point if the character as you say transforms into an incredible warrior in just a month it seems a lil unrealistic, that's always the dodgy balance with fantasy i think.

Fair play for expressing your view though. It almost compelled me to try it but i'll stick with my first stance and say no and bugger to that. Gonna read something new and different. And hopefully original!

My thought: I reckon any story can be original depending on how you portray it.

blademasterzzz

Sure it's about powering up and strength and fighting and nobility and a lot of crazy people going "aaaaggh, urrghhh neeeaaghhh!!" for 1/2 an hour but it's so hilarious and addictive and oddly interesting too.

Okay... I can see reviewing is one of your strong points... :twisted:

So, sounded a little like you didn't like it too much. A few things i wanted to just nitpick you on during you're FURY my man that i don't agree with, regardless of the novel.

Right.... Yes, I am angry, and I have every right to be, if your read my review. It is a bad book, and people are buying it like crazy. I think it is a bad thing, don't you?

Magic's been well overdone everywhere but i think the evil part is really a core part of Fantasy isn't it? The good and the bad?

Different kinds of magic. He just took his particular one. He didn't even bother to create SOMETHING of his own, in regards to magic system.

Heck, I can think of a midly original magical system right now, and I'm fairly sure it hasn't been done before.

And as to good and bad... George R R Martin, one of the few fantasy writers I have the outmost respect for has no "epic evil" or "great good".
And yet his books kick Goodkind and Feist in the ass, sending the rolling down the slopes of misery.

Err, i'd argue that that is a good thing. If you had a repetitious Brom said this and Brom said that Brom went onto only SAY things and never really showed any emotion or feeling in his voice whatsoever because he's monotoneous. If he was a robot that'd be fine but if he's not i'd argue the author's showing skill. i wouldn't know since i haven't read it, but unless he really is completely going nuts with hyperbolic verbal processes then i see the point you're making as valid.

One of the core elements of being a good writer is to have your characters express their emotions via dialogue and body language.

The MOST amateur way of doing it is through adverbs tacked onto the end of a dialogue ("Good-bye", said Jerry sadly),
Or do it this way, by transmitting how he said it: ("Good-bye," wailed Jerry.)

Now, if you combine the two, you get a horrible thing, aka
("Good-bye," wailed Jerry sadly). It hurts the ears, and is exactly what Paolini does. So yes, he does go way overboard with it.

A way out of this would be:

"Good-bye." Jerry lowered his head, trying to fight back tears. He turned around and slowly walked away, his hands dangling around uselessly.

It is by no means good, I'm not that great of a writer, but that's what you should be striving for.

look at yoda and how he bounced around in Episode II and III

Fair enough, but Yoda was wise, and hundreds of years old. He didn't just get sooo good within a month or two!

And Eragon ain't wise, he is probably the dumbest protagonist I have ever read of. I mean, look: In the night, a dragon hatches from a mysterious stone. Do you think Eragon is scared, mystified, intrigued?

No, he is angry, and shouts at the egg!

My thought: I reckon any story can be original depending on how you portray it.

That's true. Well said.
Heck, if Paolini told it through the Point Of View of the dragon, the originality would have risen sharply.

ThatWierdGuy

Blade, after reading your paper, I want to read the book to see how bad it is. I'm not sure if this was your intention however.

Users who are viewing this thread