Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

why don't people read this as a joke (1 Viewer)

kunox

Have you ever been the only one to get a joke or do you ever have a joke you want to share. people take it like you re seriously asking a question and mis the forest for the trees. I have this joke I know is funny but people seriously only get it ten seconds after I tell them it's a pun. I was wondering how I could work on actually making it connect with people. it's really a hillarious thought though. so there is no real punch line. the thought goes.
"If I cannot anthropomorphize a human. then why can I make a fox foxier."
I was wondering how to fashion this thought into a proper joke. i may use it one day for my writings... maybe??? not that that's why I am posting it here. I just want to know how to make this more gettable as a joke.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
"If I cannot anthropomorphize a human. then why can I make a fox foxier."

Is that really a joke though? What are you actually saying?

'If I can't make a human a fox, then why can I make a fox human?'

Making a fox 'foxier' is either, making it more fox like or making it 'sexy', which I assume you associate with human.

But that then doesn't work because it's not a straight switch. For it to work you'd have to add some attribute to the first half of the question that matches the second question

'If I can't make a human humaner, then why can I make a fox foxier'

But that still doesn't work because it's too abstract and the best you can hope for in ALL cases, is a whimsical smile from those who understand the word anthropomorphize, or at least have a dictionary at hand.

And anthropormorphise is specific to humans. So why would it be allowed the other way around? People are likened to animals all the time, but I'm not certain there's an actual word for it.

'It's a bit like saying 'why can't I call black white, but I can call black, blacker?''

or

'If I can't call a human more human, why can I call an animal a human?'

Last edited:

kunox

lol.. that's why most peple don't get it... the over intellectualize the pun.. the pun works on some people though.... it just a thing I will have to deal with I guess... some people find it funny though.

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
It's neither a joke nor a pun because foxier is not the about the animal but rather, in general, the attribute of a person - "She's foxy/foxier/the foxiest, the last being the adjectival superlative of foxy not of fox in the animal sense. A person can be more humane but not humaner though I wait for someone in an American programme to say so...

TheMightyAz

Mentor
lol.. that's why most peple don't get it... the over intellectualize the pun.. the pun works on some people though.... it just a thing I will have to deal with I guess... some people find it funny though.

But it's not a joke or a pun. The word Anthropomorphise means: to attribute human characteristics to animals. That's the immutable definition. You are asking why that can't it be applied to animals. Because an animal isn't a human ...

Even if people understood immediately what Anthropomorphise meant, it still wouldn't be a joke or a pun :)

You are asking why people don't read it as a joke. That's why LOL

kunox

you ar e3not realy saying nything new... lol.. I think you and I are just going to go around in circles on this... so I am just giving it up from here unless you haave something new. even if it is an immutable definition you not getting the pun doesn't change anything. heck one person got it and it took them two seconds to rephrase it as far as I can tell. So ether way.. ether you yourself don't get the pun or you don't understand the pun itself.

lets just say the only people that get this are furries and me apparently...

p.s.. heck maybe it's not a pun.. ether way it's still funny. I stil think of it as a pun though.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
you ar e3not realy saying nything new... lol.. I think you and I are just going to go around in circles on this... so I am just giving it up from here unless you haave something new. even if it is an immutable definition you not getting the pun doesn't change anything. heck one person got it and it took them two seconds to rephrase it as far as I can tell. So ether way.. ether you yourself don't get the pun or you don't understand the pun itself.

p.s.. heck maybe it's not a pun.. ether way it's still funny. I stil think of it as a pun though.

To be fair, you asked why people don't read this as a joke. I'm merely answering your question.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator

It's totally a pun. Why don't people see it...lol!

Last edited:

kunox

that is what I don't get.... lol.... some people get it though... I appreciate you both despite being hypomanic and in need of a chill pill..

PSFoster

It's a pun if the fox is a sexy woman.

Matchu

If I cannot anthropomorphize a human. then why can I make a fox foxier

It is not the best material in the world, it might improve with delivery. Perhaps limit the words said toward a
anthropomorphize a human, make a fox foxier..?

Practise your rendition of anthropormorphise which is difficult as this is a verging on tedious word, but get the bounce perfect and use your face, mouth and eyes, and you should garner some attention, some curiosity, some instantaneous reaction. Delivery is everything or something.

One person in ten might come along and say 'I like what you did with the foxy, heh heh,' and that is good enough, eh?