Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Why Capitalize the First Letter of Every Line in Poetry? (1 Viewer)

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
I like to capitalize each line of a poem most often when I've written an acrostic. I like to capitalize so the editor or reader will quick get an idea of what I'm doing with the poem and can quickly relate it to the other poem or name I'm "acrostic-ing."

I can't figure out how to change my default and do get irritated when I'm typing along and the autocorrect changes my lower case letters to capital letters. Right now I'm trying to polish several poems I want to send to a market and have to fight with my autocorrect on some of the capitalization. The changing back to what I want often breaks my flow of thoughts. (It's a good thing no one can hear what I say to my autocorrect when it makes a change I didn't want. .:-D)

No doubt E.E. Cummings would have been quite irritated with autocorrect too.

• Love
Reactions: PiP

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
I like to capitalize each line of a poem most often when I've written an acrostic. I like to capitalize so the editor or reader will quick get an idea of what I'm doing with the poem and can quickly relate it to the other poem or name I'm "acrostic-ing."

I can't figure out how to change my default and do get irritated when I'm typing along and the autocorrect changes my lower case letters to capital letters. Right now I'm trying to polish several poems I want to send to a market and have to fight with my autocorrect on some of the capitalization. The changing back to what I want often breaks my flow of thoughts. (It's a good thing no one can hear what I say to my autocorrect when it makes a change I didn't want. .:-D)

No doubt E.E. Cummings would have been quite irritated with autocorrect too.
It's a while since this was posted but I'll chime in anyway.
For those who are ticked off that their word processor defaults to upper case after a forced line break, try holding down the shift key when pressing enter/return. That should tell it that you aren't starting a new paragraph.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Much appreciated, Phil Istine. I find that so annoying to have the default set to capitalize when I'm working with my poems. It will take some getting used to but your suggestion is a definite improvement! Thanks for the chime in!

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
Much appreciated, Phil Istine. I find that so annoying to have the default set to capitalize when I'm working with my poems. It will take some getting used to but your suggestion is a definite improvement! Thanks for the chime in!
Additionally, if wanting to force a new page (possibly to prevent a stanza being broken up), hold down CTRL when pressing enter/return

Lawless

but what I don't understand is why in 2020 we are still capitalizing the first letter of EVERY line regardless of intent. I feel it is a distraction and interrupts the flow.
Neither do I. Whenever I have to translate poetry, I use the uppercase and lowercase grammatically and leave it to the editor to change it or not. ;-)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I had no idea that there was overtalking about this. My initial assumption was that capitalizing each line might be about reluctance to wage constant battle with software settings. As an uneducated dabbler in poetry (I know, I know, I should get educated) I was pleased to see this thought come up in the thread.