Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Who's the master at writing fiction about spectacular, yet beleivable characters? (1 Viewer)

W

wolfix

Hi,

I'm working on a book that has a Character who's life is like Forrest Gump in that it is very eventful and tied to major worldly events. However, my character is off the charts genius yet just as lovable and fallible as Forest.

Another movie that comes to mind is 'Powder.' What a spectacular character; but he never did anything spectacular outside of his little world.

And there's Travolta's movie 'Phenomenon.' Another spectacular character who never does anything outside of his little world.

What authors are the masters at writing fiction about spectacular, yet believable characters?

(oops! I misspelled believable in the Subject and cant edit it :eek:)

Thanks,

wolfix

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wolfix

Jolly McJollyson said:
James Joyce?

Very interesting from the info on Amazon...:thumbl:

I admit, I'm less than cultured when it comes to great novels. About the only thing I've read is 'Lord of the Rings' and 'The Hobbit.' I've spent most of my time reading Linux manuals and Christian sermons instead; so I'm trying to do a crash course on great authors.

I'll take a look at 'Ulysses' at the books store soon.

Thanks Jolly!

wolfix

Jolly McJollyson

wolfix said:
Very interesting from the info on Amazon...:thumbl:

I admit, I'm less than cultured when it comes to great novels. About the only thing I've read is 'Lord of the Rings' and 'The Hobbit.' I've spent most of my time reading Linux manuals and Christian sermons instead; so I'm trying to do a crash course on great authors.

I'll take a look at 'Ulysses' at the books store soon.

Thanks Jolly!

wolfix
Start with Portrait or Ulysses will kill you. Trust me on that one.

earthman buck

I think Kurt Vonnegut is pretty good at that too. Billy Pilgrim (from Slaughterhouse-Five) is pretty extraordinary, as is Howard W. Campbell, Jr. (from Mother Night) and Kilgore Trout (a recurring character).

strangedaze

John Irving.

Garp from The World According to Garp
Owen Meany from A Prayer for Owen Meany

OH.

Salman Rushdie

Saleem in Midnight's Children thinks hes India incarnate, and that he has all these wacky powers. definitely Rushdie.

Fantasy of You

Wilbur Smith.
Take your pick:
When the Lions Feed,
Birds of Prey,
Monsoon,
Blue Horizon,
The Sparrow Falls,
Triumph of the Sun.

All good, IMO.

- FoY

L

LonSharkin51

Tom Robbins is also a great writer of interesting characters. Sissy Hankshaw from "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" and Switters from "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates" come immediately to mind, but all his novels have interesting folks in them.