Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Who's doing NanoWriMo for 2016? (1 Viewer)

shivanib

Who's planning on doing it this year?

If you have already in the past, I would love your thoughts on what worked, what didn't, whether you used any NanoWriMo resources/tools, etc.

And lastly, why are you planning on doing it this year?

columbo1977

Hey there

I have done it for the last 6 years and only managed to finish it last year, was so good. I will be doing it this year although will be moving to Fantasy this time. I think for me more planning is why it worked last year and that is why I am starting planning now so that by November I will have a clear idea of where I am going. I tried to be a pantser, but I think I am better as a plotter.

I am doing it because it focuses me and gets me writing each day I hope each year it will make me more prolific after the event but it never does, maybe this year will be different :)

G

shivanib

Hey there

I have done it for the last 6 years and only managed to finish it last year, was so good. I will be doing it this year although will be moving to Fantasy this time. I think for me more planning is why it worked last year and that is why I am starting planning now so that by November I will have a clear idea of where I am going. I tried to be a pantser, but I think I am better as a plotter.

I am doing it because it focuses me and gets me writing each day I hope each year it will make me more prolific after the event but it never does, maybe this year will be different :)

G

That's awesome! What are you doing to plan for this year? Are you setting certain types of goals? Organizing in anyway?

Also, did you end up using any of their resources last year or years previous?

(sorry for all the questions! Very curious for myself and for my own app and whether I should be building things in to help NanoWriMo users specifically)

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
I intend to do it this year. I read somewhere that it's 50,000 words during the month of November (they could at least have picked a month with thirty-one days in it).
In recent months, I have sacrificed my prose on the altar of poetry. Between now and November, I need to organise some things to clear the way for my November wordbarf. I'm an outdoor worker and often work later in summer. By early November, I have to finish earlier. Also, I want to have a major clear-out in my apartment and take another step towards becoming minimalist. I also need to write a basic outline of what I wish to include in my offering. Editing and proofreading will have to wait until December, as November will be more about quantity than quality.
50,000 words will be a tough schedule for me, but I will do it.

Reactions: PiP

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
Nope. I tried it last year and hated it. It just doesn't match up with the way I write - though kudos to those who knock out good stuff through it :)

kellypeace

I tried last year but only got about 10,000 words down. A lot of things happened in November 2015 so I'm hoping this year will be less hectic and Ill be able to at least get closer to 50,000 or even reach it!

I'm thinking this year will be better if I plan ahead, which I'm starting now. Never too early!

columbo1977

I tried last year but only got about 10,000 words down. A lot of things happened in November 2015 so I'm hoping this year will be less hectic and Ill be able to at least get closer to 50,000 or even reach it!

I'm thinking this year will be better if I plan ahead, which I'm starting now. Never too early!

Agreed, last year was the first I managed to do it, but I struggled. Starting to plan now because I want to do it again but not struggle as much.

PrinzeCharming

New Writers' Mentor
WF Veterans
I admire the work that comes out of NaNoWriMo. Water for Elephants is one of my favorites. I tried NaNoWriMo for a few years. I am not interested in writing something other than my current WIP. So, it's a no-go. Lots of kudos for those who do attempt it. I would like to add that I enjoy using Novlr for writing my stories. In case anyone is interested, I think Novlr will release a promo around late October for November. I bought the $100 lifetime subscription at the time.

shivanib

Hey hey, so I've been doing a lot of thinking about how I could put something on my app for NNWM for myself and others. I'm thinking something that could look like this:

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 2.19.44 PM.jpg

I would love to run this by 1-2 people who have done it before to iterate on it and make it a helpful planning process. Anyone interested in DMing me and chatting about it?

Planning seems to be the key--thanks for all the responses so far!! PUMPED!

columbo1977

I am in planning mode but have been lax the last week or so. Need to start on some fleshing out of the characters and a detailed outline for the whole story. At the moment I have a start, and ending and a couple of sub plots. I really need to tie it all together and decide on how I am going to get from A to B to C.

In better shape than I was this time last year.

bluemidget

I'm gonna try again this year. I've tried a few times but never actually got to 50,000 words :D I'm not a planner, I have a little idea that I'll work on during the 30 days and see what comes of it. Good luck, fellow wordsmiths!

Tulip

I'm very impressed with those of you who do NaNoWriMo every year. I started by current project as a NaNo, and got about 12,000 words done that first month. I've never written so much, that was a HUGE amount for me. I fleshed it out at leisure afterwards and now have reached a screeching halt :(

I think I'll unofficially join you this year, but make myself write more on my current WIP every day in November.

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
50,000 words is a big ask and I'm feeling a little less confident today that I will manage it; I work full-time as well, in addition to doing all my house chores.
"Stream of consciousness" is one suggestion that I've seen, so maybe I'll just keep writing whatever comes into my head and make more sense of it after November.
I suppose that "a a a a a a " is technically six words, but I won't be doing it that way :) .
Honestly, if I manage just 25,000, I will still regard it as a success.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
50,000 words is a big ask and I'm feeling a little less confident today that I will manage it; I work full-time as well, in addition to doing all my house chores.
"Stream of consciousness" is one suggestion that I've seen, so maybe I'll just keep writing whatever comes into my head and make more sense of it after November.

Phil, if i managed to complete NaNo on my first attempt you can.... mind you I've never tried it again since ... You need to buddy up with someone. For me this was a great motivator.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Who is participating in NaNoWriMo? Please don't forget to drop by and keep us updated of your daily word count

bluemidget

Well, here we go! If I can get anywhere near half the required word count I'll be happy :D Good luck everyone!!

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
Fatigue got me last night and I had to sort out loads this morning. I will spend about three hours on it this evening though.
I will only do a daily update if I'm allowed to count those words too :)