Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Who will complete the challenge? (1 Viewer)

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
If you're on target to complete the challenge, or think you'll catch up :), chime in here. The list of people I see as candidates seems smaller than I'd expected, but in the confusion I may not be noticing some. I'm interested to see just how many there are.

I'll go first: Yes, I'm on target and Yes, I'll complete the challenge.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
I'm on target and think I'll complete the month (30 days and 30 poems). It's been so difficult! I had a particularly rough time (aside from actually writing the poems) thanking everyone (I missed a lot, I know, and I'm sorry for that), responding to comments, and commenting on others' poems. I almost quit because I wasn't getting much else accomplished. So decided something had to give and had to quit participating as I'd have liked. (I figured everyone can get their work critiqued by posting to the regular groups.) I can now at least continue with the poetry attempts. There have been some good poems turned out. I intend to finish up with 30 poems-- good or bad remains to be seen.

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
I'm slightly behind as I've posted 22 and it's now day 24. I believe I will complete the challenge even though my real-life world is problematic right now.

I've had to be selfish about it though by not really getting involved with others' poems. I made that clear before the month began, and also stated that I was fine if people didn't wish to comment on mine. Bear in mind that I've been attempting to moderate part of the forum as well during that time - thankfully, people have been behaving themselves for the most part.

I've needed to write a liberal helping of micropoetry to keep the number up, but those do sometimes take a lot more thinking time and word shuffling. A poem might only be ten or twelve words but swapping them in and out until reaching a satisfactory conclusion can occupy time.

I can add 1 to my total due to entering this month's poetry challenge, but will wait until voting finishes before including it in NaPo.

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Despite a persistent headache I've already written 34 poems this month, so I'd say I'll make it. Of various quality, of course. Been to 3 doctors on this head of mine, best possibility I've got cataracts and it's eye strain. My PCP gave me pain pills but they aren't working. Wish everyone good luck. Probably surgery this summer. I've got mixed emotions.

Pulse

Honoured/Sadly Missed
I expect so. I seem to be in a kind of automatic mode, which is functional in terms of production but not good for poetry.

Gofa

Friends of WF
Im shifting house and that concludes 28th
i will graciously accept a further week

my one gong is lonely
and i must bring balance to the Force
and after twenty of these suckers you are just
getting a fix on what why when and how

Last edited:

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
I hope to cross the finish line...I most likely will not sprint across, but will probably crawl across... I had my first vaccination for Covid, and am feeling .... not wonderful... good luck to everyone! I am sorry I did not get to read all the poetry, but will after ....

clark

Met3 Member
Staff member
Chief Mentor
M'FIRE -- Of course you'll "cross the finish line." You've been crossing those lines ever since you got up on yer pins and waddled those first two steps (hmm . . . in your case you probably started out at a dead run, calling over your shoulder for your dad to throw the ball). Problem with those pesky finish lines is, we don't know they're there until we look back and realize, "oh! that was a finish line!" But the game keeps going on, don't it? And every morning The Force says (my apologies to Salman) "okay, here's another day for you. Now get out there and fail better!" You fail better real good.

luv 'n cusses
clark (coming out of his slump

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
M'FIRE -- Of course you'll "cross the finish line." You've been crossing those lines ever since you got up on yer pins and waddled those first two steps (hmm . . . in your case you probably started out at a dead run, calling over your shoulder for your dad to throw the ball). Problem with those pesky finish lines is, we don't know they're there until we look back and realize, "oh! that was a finish line!" But the game keeps going on, don't it? And every morning The Force says (my apologies to Salman) "okay, here's another day for you. Now get out there and fail better!" You fail better real good.

luv 'n cusses
clark (coming out of his slump

:love_heart:.... Luv'n cusses back at ya, O fabulous one ;)

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Was thinking . . . maybe someone here should turn out an anthology of the best poems submitted for this 30 poems in 30 days project. It's not that expensive to do a Lulu or Amazon Kindle publish-on-demand book. There has been some really fine work turned out and it would be a way for Writing Forums to earn a little more cash. Maybe do it under the Flashes magazine name. Anyway, it might be worth considering doing an anthology, one or two poems per poet so I thought I'd bring it up.

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Was thinking . . . maybe someone here should turn out an anthology of the best poems submitted for this 30 poems in 30 days project. It's not that expensive to do a Lulu or Amazon Kindle publish-on-demand book. There has been some really fine work turned out and it would be a way for Writing Forums to earn a little more cash. Maybe do it under the Flashes magazine name. Anyway, it might be worth considering doing an anthology, one or two poems per poet so I thought I'd bring it up.

Not a bad idea, although even some of my best ones still need work. Now we have some excellent poets here, they probably are okay as they are. :-D

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner

I love the idea but we need a volunteer to pull together the technical side. We are VERY fortunate to have so many talented poets/writers on WF.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Glad you think it might be a potentially good idea too, MidnightPoet. If one poem per poet was used for a publish-on-demand book and each poet purchased an anthology with their work in it at, say, $10 or $15 each anthology . . .

The poets would still be free to publish their work elsewhere too. I know I'd purchase one if it included one of my poems in the group effort. Likely several others here would purchase a copy of the anthology as well. It would look nice on our bookshelves. Maybe some non-members might purchase it too. But it will be a bit of work . . . Maybe worth doing.

Reactions: PiP

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Carole/PiP, I understand the Amazon KDP and Lulu self-published books require very little tech savvy. And both are quite inexpensive to set up, too. (I'm exploring self-publishing a small chapbook that would be of limited interest to a publisher.) Whoever took on the project would also have an "anthology edited by" feather for the old writing fedora. I've seen the results from Lulu and they turned out great (a journal that has published my work uses their services). I haven't seen a Kindle KDP but I imagine they look great too. I know some writers who have used KDP and they're satisfied and from what I'm able to tell at Amazon, they're also a good possibility. Hope we get a volunteer to handle it.

Reactions: PiP