Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

who else on here writes Queer Romance? (1 Viewer)

Lawless

The protagonist of my current almost-complete WIP is bisexual and yes, it has some same-sex romance, but I don't make it a point. When it happens, it happens.

Sinister

I'm not opposed to it. There are characters of different sexuality in my current WIP. But I'm not really much on romance, even as a subplot. In my chosen genre, romance seems too stock and cliche, in general, to include. I would say that's prolly due to my own asexuality, and while I can't necessarily refute that, I do reserve the right to include a romance subplot in some future work. At that point, it would depend on the characters or the story.

To be honest, writing a same-sex romance would pose as much of a challenge to me as writing a heterosexual romance. Any tips you'd have for it, would be more info on it than I'd have.

-Sin

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
As mentioned, I am really enjoying writing this romance. The two characters are complete opposites. Zac's a primadonna fashion designer and Adam is a financial wizard stockbroker. They are actually both sub-characters that somehow just came to life on their own. But they are so much fun, I think they may get their own sequel. :)

Xander416

The MC in one of my WIPs is a bisexual female, but it has no impact on the plot. TBCH, it's just an excuse for her to hook up with strippers. 😅 And she's a commitment-phobe, so "romance" to her is boinking someone for a month or so before getting bored with them and moving on. And no, the story doesn't end with her falling in love and getting married. So yeah.

CyberWar

I've written some F/F erotica if that counts.

Other than that, I generally prefer to steer clear of the subject. I find sexuality gets way too much attention these days than it actually deserves.

Ajoy

The MC in my just completed fantasy novel is queer and she has a romance arc as one of the subplots. There are several other queer characters as well-It's pretty normalized within their culture.

Olivia Brine

I'm exploring a queer romance in my novel, though cautiously. Does anyone know how publishers react to queer romance and would I be safer to steer clear of it? My MC is bi and he's caught in a bit of a love triangle with another man and a woman.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I'm exploring a queer romance in my novel, though cautiously. Does anyone know how publishers react to queer romance and would I be safer to steer clear of it? My MC is bi and he's caught in a bit of a love triangle with another man and a woman.
I would just write the story as you see it. The right publisher won't have a problem with it.

Dr Hooss

When sex, sexuality and relationships play a role in any of my plotlines I like to either have it outside of the heteronormative cliches or when a heteronormative relationship/sexuality angle comes up I add in something non heteronormative to balance that.

But generally I'm more likely to experiment with concepts of aliens, gods and other beings that have more than two physical sexes and or a proclivity towards sexual morphology (changing physical sex and gender at will). When I feel sexuality or romance will add a positive to my story.

But I usually steer away from romance and sexuality and stick to tall tales, fantastical nonsense and unlikely events. Mostly I like to have hints of flirting and create the expectations of a relationship blossoming but keep it platonic which is my most common form of romantic/sexual sub plots.

Visualinotion

My current WIP is a dark fantasy saga where 2 of the most important characters are in a gay relationship. They are also from different species so their union it's absolute taboo in their world. The first book it's about the girl they raised, but she's cautious and will only talk about their relationship openly in the late chapters. And I'm hoping when she does people goes: HOLY S**T THAT MAKES SENSE
Also their relationship is a key in the plot, I don't like to add romance without a purpose.
I was just so tired of NEVER finding LGTB+ characters in fantasy. But I don't read thaaaat much, so... probably there are, just not a lot.

Visualinotion

When sex, sexuality and relationships play a role in any of my plotlines I like to either have it outside of the heteronormative cliches or when a heteronormative relationship/sexuality angle comes up I add in something non heteronormative to balance that.

But generally I'm more likely to experiment with concepts of aliens, gods and other beings that have more than two physical sexes and or a proclivity towards sexual morphology (changing physical sex and gender at will). When I feel sexuality or romance will add a positive to my story.

But I usually steer away from romance and sexuality and stick to tall tales, fantastical nonsense and unlikely events. Mostly I like to have hints of flirting and create the expectations of a relationship blossoming but keep it platonic which is my most common form of romantic/sexual sub plots.
And I thought I was weird creating a relationship between a gender-fluid bisexual god and something I called "multi-entity" that lived in a plane of existence were something like that was possible.

Garlith

I'm constantly afraid that my queer characters will make queer "look bad" in one fashion or another, haha. I myself come from the queer community, but that doesn't mean even I fully understand it. I feel like I don't know much about love either, but romance is bound to happen with some of my characters so I've tried to get comfortable with it and in return have some characters with really weird quirks that I don't want to touch down on, but are important to a select few of them.

It's usually a roll of some mental dice that determine my characters preferences, but I'd say about 50% of them are queer in some way. I'm still trying to decide how to touch down on it in my writing. I want it to be accepted, but if I make everything happy-go-lucky then where's the drama? I want drama but I'm scared to add it.

All the being said (rambled), I'd say my queer characters are the ones I feel most attached to. Maybe because by knowing their deepest feelings I feel closer.

Sometimes I feel like I'm violating my characters privacy just by knowing things about them... but then I remind myself, y'all characters are taking up space in MY head, so y'all should be ashamed, not me, haha.

Last edited: