Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Who does your favorite author have sex with? (1 Viewer)

strangedaze

I know that this SHOULDNT matter, but every time I talk about certain unnamed authors, quite famous, I feel like bringing up their personal lives. Sexual orientation is just one example of the things that I'm tempted to bring up, even though in most cases I really should focus solely on the content of the work.

The question is, then, should we even talk about the personal lives of the authors? Should their personal lives remain their own, or by virtue of their fiction does that give us the right, at least to some extent, to speculate on what inspired the fiction and what it ultimately means (ie: authorial intent, assuming you believe it matters)?

Hummmm...I honestly don't know where I stand. I think that by putting the work out there, the author must accept that people ARE going to speculate about the plausibility of the narrative and, by extension, speculate about how or why the author included said info in the work. Then again, it seems really petty to put too much stock in, say, one author's obsession with mutilated babies or another's fixation on lopsided genitals.

Or whatever.

Discuss.

epone

I agree with the latter part of your thread. Imagination is just imagination. We can all imagine killing a baby but how many of us actually do it?

That, to me, is the reason for writing or reading someone elses work - to express or experience things I'll never do in reality.
People can look too hard into what people write and miss the point - that there is no point, its just entertainment.