Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Which Three Books? (1 Viewer)

ApollyionX

A very interesting idea came to me while reading one of the great science fiction novels of the era- H.G. Well’s: The Time Machine. The part in which the narrator goes back to rebuild the Eloi civilization. In his absence it is noted that all he took with him were three books. The book does not speculate on the identity of the three books but rather leaves it up to the reader to decide. Now this poses an excellent question- Which three books would you have taken?

Well In order to rebuild an entire civilization the choices must be weighed accordingly. One might ask the question- why limit it to only three? I think the author was trying to make a point by saying that something as mighty as modern civilization could all be based on the simplest of knowledge. As to my own choices two are quite practical and would probably be met with agreement while the third would receive its usual hostile greeting.

The first of my choices would be a current edition of the dictionary. Its always been said by many that the written word has been mankind’s greatest achievement and with this I would agree. Language of any kind is quite an achievement, but to preserve that language so future generations may benefit from it is astounding. Certainly a future world ravaged by neglect and treated as a monstrous smorgasbord of cannibalism could use a useful form of a written language.

The second would be a book of modern mathematics, since of course math is referred to as the universal language. The foundations of civilizations since the beginning of time have been reliant on a solid founding of mathematics. Irrigation, buildings of all shapes and sizes, farming and agriculture, computers and the like would all be impossible without math. I surmise that this particular choice would meet with the approval of almost everyone trying to reestablish a once forgotten civilization.

The third is the most controversial. Since I believe that the roots of any civilization should include religion, I would incorporate the Bible. Now this would be default of any Christian or Christian following. Now as to the other religions such as Hinduism, Islam or Buddism, the Koran or the teachings of Siddartha Guatama would replace the Bible as their religious manifestation. However I suppose just the concept of religion to be introduced to a future civilization no matter what religion it happed to be would spark debate. Religion has played vital roles throughout history in the building progress of various nations. Not to include it would be a crime in my eyes.

Of course trying to rebuild an entire civilization on the back of your own personal knowledge and three books would be a tremendous burden on anyone. But in the aide of rebuilding a ravaged world I suppose any book would be useful. You decide...

mammamaia

imo, a bible or any other religious work would be the absolute worst thing to foist on a new civilization... for pete's sake, look at how many have been and still are being killed over 'my god is better than your god' conflicts!

an unabridged dictionary is an inspired choice and i suppose a book on math basics could save time... can't think of a third right off... need to mull that over a bit...

ApollyionX

mammamaia said:
imo, a bible or any other religious work would be the absolute worst thing to foist on a new civilization... for pete's sake, look at how many have been and still are being killed over 'my god is better than your god' conflicts!

an unabridged dictionary is an inspired choice and i suppose a book on math basics could save time... can't think of a third right off... need to mull that over a bit...

I strongly disagree, an ahtheistic approach to the biulding of any civilization would be far more damaging and detrimental. A belief system gives people something to hold to onto, meaning and purpose to their lives. What would be the point of civilization in the first place, if we had nothing to look to after it was all over.

WordWeaver

How about a cook book?

In case the Eloi find any surviving Morlock, they can return the favor. After all, a civilization's gotta eat. It'd be an ironic twist of fate.

ApollyionX

WordWeaver said:
How about a cook book?

In case the Eloi find any surviving Morlock, they can return the favor. After all, a civilization's gotta eat. It'd be an ironic twist of fate.

Wow that was intelligent...:-s

WordWeaver

ApollyionX said:
No need to strive for something I already possess, but than again look who I'm talking to...lol.

You're talking to someone far superior to you. Learn your place, fool.

ApollyionX

WordWeaver said:
You're talking to someone far superior to you. Learn your place, fool.

The only thing superior about you is your stupidity. I know my place you moron and it will always be ahead of you.

mammamaia

You're talking to someone far superior to you.

uh, ww... for someone supposedly 'far superior' to anyone, i'm surprised you are featuring a quote by 'franz kafa' as a sig!...:???: [j/k, but you really should correct that]

WordWeaver

ApollyionX said:
The only thing superior about you is your stupidity. I know my place you moron and it will always be ahead of you.

Considering you are attempting to insult a far superior stranger over the net, yes, I'd say you are rather unintelligent. Thank you for proving my point and bringing an end to this discussion.

WordWeaver

mammamaia said:
uh, ww... for someone supposedly 'far superior' to anyone, i'm surprised you are featuring a quote by 'franz kafa' as a sig!...:???: [j/k, but you really should correct that]

Hahha, surprised nobody has said anything until now. Thanks for bringing it up. :cool:

ApollyionX

WordWeaver said:
Considering you are attempting to insult a far superior stranger over the net, yes, I'd say you are rather unintelligent. Thank you for proving my point and bringing an end to this discussion.

Such as your highly immature and imbecile attempt to make a joke of a serious subject. Your Neanderthal way of thinking is evident in your posts. You my friend are the idiotic elite.

WordWeaver

ApollyionX said:
Such as your highly immature and imbecile attempt to make a joke of a serious subject. Your Neanderthal way of thinking is evident in your posts. You my friend are the idiotic elite.

Who said I made a joke of a "Serious" subject? I merely suggested a Cookbook and had several posters agree on this. You on the other hand, with your narrow-minded, ignorant point of view (Probably in relation to a poor upbringing) felt the need to assume that I was making light of your... "Serious" subject. It's understandable though, I realize that your train of thought is very limited. Perhaps furthering your education might prove successful? In your case however, I doubt it.

You, "my friend" are the apotheosis of all the imbociles. You try so hard, yet fail miserably.

ApollyionX

WordWeaver said:
Who said I made a joke of a "Serious" subject? I merely suggested a Cookbook and had several posters agree on this. You on the other hand, with your narrow-minded, ignorant point of view (Probably in relation to a poor upbringing) felt the need to assume that I was making light of your... "Serious" subject. It's understandable though, I realize that your train of thought is very limited. Perhaps furthering your education might prove successful? In your case however, I doubt it.

You, "my friend" are the apotheosis of all the imbociles. You try so hard, yet fail miserably.
First off what aborant simple minded ape would suggest a cookbook to try and rebiuld a civilization, oh yea I forgot...you. This ameoba would persist to make jokes since it's evident he is a joke. You try so hard at life but it is you who have failed miserably at the endeavor. This de-evolved roach is so beneath rational thought, a pre-schooler would leave him in the dust.