Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Which NaNoWriMo idea would you choose? (1 Viewer)

Which idea would you choose?

• Idea 1

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Idea 2

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

madeleinefarraday

I have a problem: two ideas for NaNoWriMo. Which one would you choose?

Option 1: due to some mystical interference from the universe, a girl lives her life over several times. In the first life, she meets a boy, but very briefly. She wishes she had met him earlier, and she gets her wish, returning to her childhood to experience life with him in it. It's wonderful, but then the boy dies in an accident. She gets another wish: to have never met him (because that would mean his life was saved.) She lives her life over again, but ends up very bitter and alone, isolated.

She gets to old age, and wishes she hadn't been so lonely. She gets her wish, and returns to her original life, and decides to not wish anything at all.

Option 2: Girl meets boy, falls in love, and he's off on a trip somewhere, planning to return immediately. While he's gone, the world experiences an energy shortage of massive proportions, stranding him where he went. The world changes as people become dependent on Ethanol, the definition of wealth changes, and people suffer from starvation. The rest of the story is about the attempts of the MCs to free themselves of their communities, which are safe places to live, but where they are basically trapped and expected to conform in order to survive. Can they ever reunite?

I don't know which story to write about. Any help?

(x-posted)

Morkonan

WF Veterans
I have a problem: two ideas for NaNoWriMo. Which one would you choose?

I don't know which story to write about. Any help?

(x-posted)

The first one. There's too much going on and too much that you would have to explain through writing in order to make much of a story in the second one. The separation by distance in a possibly dystopic post-apocalypse society is just too much to deal with while hoping to retain the reader's interest in two characters that likely don't interact much with each other. At least with the first one, you can focus on one character and contrast her different experiences without having to juggle much.

stellar

I feel like you are more comfortable with topic number two just from the amount of detail in that desc.

Number one is cool too. It could be a great exercise in fleshing out complicated relationships, which make really frustratingly good reads.

madeleinefarraday

Thanks! I did end up going with #2. I posted an excerpt under my (same) username at the NaNo site. it's chugging along...afraid i'm going to run out of ideas re: what to write about, though!

I might keep the first idea on a backburner to write about some other time.