Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Where the red fern grows... (1 Viewer)

B

Bojangleez_101

One of my all time favorites but I'd like to have some other opinions on which book has more impact, Where the red fern grows or Old Yeller? :-k

Selorian

Patron
Has to be one of my favorites as well.

I personally believe Where the Red Fern Grows carries more of an impact, but like any other thing, it depends on the person.

I may be a little biased though, since I grew up near the Ozarks and Tahlequah (where Billy travels to get Old Dan and Little Ann). I've also spent many nights trailing after coondogs as they chased after those clever raccoons. Some of those nights walking the very same ground the story took place.

A classic book everyone should read. And, if you don't have a tear at the end, it'd be hard to call yourself human.

Last edited:

XandrilZaax

omg, that book was really depressing, but very good nonetheless. It had more impact on me than Old Yeller. I've got no good reason why though...

M

mushroompig

I liked both stories a lot, but prefer Old Yeller a bit more. They both deal with issues of death, and death and such moments of loss and separation are essential to the childhood experience at both the literal and metaphorical levels - contrary to the stereotypical and overly saccharine concept of "children's" literature. Childhood is all about the extreme changes and departures necessary for growing up, so it's only right that death is presented straightforwardly.

Red Fern touches more deeply in terms of symbolism (especially with the red fern as a metaphor), but I liked Old Yeller more because its climax involved a difficult choice which forces the older boy to take responsibility for his own maturity. In comparison, the protagonist in Red Fern was a bit more passive in that aspect of the story climax. Both stories are essentially about growing up into manhood, but Old Yeller takes a more proactive path, so the protagonist plays a more heroic role.

superchase32

This book is on my top list. We read it in school and watched a film. I will never forget this book, it's always on my mind. It reminds me of family life back at the country in the past century.

S

Sayuri007

Wow, I forgot about Where the Red Fern Grows, I cried. We read it in elementary class and I remember all the girls crying. It makes me think of another book we read after that...The Summer of the Monkeys.

cowpops

I love sad stories.

But old yeller wasn't worth it. I just don't think the story is good enough. Hard to expain.

Where the red fern grows was better, for sure. Movie AND book.

virginia

I hate to admit this but I've never heard of these books which are obviously quite special.

Do you think I would still enjoy them as a 55-year-old Englander?! (In the same way perhaps as I love Mark Twain?)

I'll look out for them anyway. Thank you.

Virginia

Mr Sci Fi

I do what I can to try to forget the books I was forced to read in Grammar School.

Although I will admit, "The Giver" and "The Pigman" were pretty good reads. Oh, and "Mr. Pauper's Penguins." Gotta love a story about a refrigerator full of Penguins.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I never read Old Yeller but I had an ex-library copy of Where the Red Fern Grows which I loved. In spite of the fact that I cried everytime I got to the end and I HATE crying over books or movies. Still, it's worth the tears and I need to get a copy for my library since my copy seems to have fallen by the wayside.

G

Gate

Read it when I was 10 years old...if only the dogs had not died ...but then the fern would have never been