Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Where do they belong? (1 Viewer)

seawings

I have a group of stories that fall under the categories of "life experiences", true stories written to relieve tension. I am re-working all of them (in a much less stressed environment) and posted one in the under short stories. My question...since they are based on actual experiences...do they belong under Non-Fiction or Short Stories (see Gabonese Rain). Your guidance would be appreciated.

mammamaia

if totally from life, with no embellisment, then it's a 'personal anecdote' and is non-fiction...

but if you've only taken what happened and added some made-up details, then it becomes fiction, a short story...

only you can know which your writings are...

seawings

mammamaia said:
if totally from life, with no embellisment, then it's a 'personal anecdote' and is non-fiction...
Thanks mammamaia...they are all experiences I have had...I have only tried to use them to try out my writing and learn how to better present a story. Again thanks.