Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Where Did You Send Your Work This Month? (1 Viewer)

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
JJ Bucholz suggested I start this thread (from my in response to Carole/ PiP's post about needing to send more work out) so we can post here where and what we've sent out each month.

The sending out process is so time-consuming, so difficult and boring that many of us put it off far too often and far too long. Maybe with this thread we'll want to try to keep up with each other, maybe draw encouragement and inspiration from each other if we post what we've sent out each month. So I'll start.

This month I finished and sent out my monthly flash fiction newsletter (on Dec. 2).

This month I sent an essay to OPEN: Journal of Arts & Letters (on Dec. 2).

Shortly I'll be sending three poems to Carve Magazine. I have the editor's name, and have chosen two of the three poems I'll send (so have to choose one more before I can send off the packet). I have my cover letter and bio finished so it's a matter of selecting one more poem. But I'll take any excuse to put off even this small chore. (I'm hoping to add to this thread . . . tomorrow . . . when I finally send the packet off. And there's a contest I want to enter . . . )

I'm hoping that with this thread we'll all do better at getting our work out there. So what have you sent out this month?

JJBuchholz

I just the other day sent a short story off to a publisher known as TQR Stories, of which I found reference to in another thread here. I've already gotten a reply back to say that they are currently reading and going over said story.

That's all I've sent recently. The last round of short stories/novellas I sent off was at the end of summer, and had one of them published. Once the calendar ticks over to 2021 and into a new quarter, I'll send off another round of manuscripts to various places.

-JJB

I've actually been on a bit of a sending kick, maybe because it's something to do instead of studying for finals lol. Sent a couple poems to Light Poetry and 3 flash pieces to Hellebore. And a week or so ago I sent a few poems to Slice, a piece of very short fiction to Paranoid Tree, and 2 stories to Hypnos.

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
I printed and thermally bound a selection of my poems for my daughter, she showed them to her fiancé's aunt, a prize winning author, who asked my daughter if I had a publisher as "I was a proper poet, not an amateur." I took this as a hint and sent them off to Salt Publishing...

OatmealMan

I sent a very very rough draft of a short story to a friend in another states with an english and creative writing major. Beyond that I came here looking to get feedback on the first chapter of a longer piece i'm writing in the same setting

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I sent a very very rough draft of a short story to a friend in another states with an english and creative writing major. Beyond that I came here looking to get feedback on the first chapter of a longer piece i'm writing in the same setting

I don't see that you posted it anywhere in the forum. Were you looking to send it to someone privately?

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Since I wrote a young adult story this time around, and after listening to it a couple of times with a text to speech reader I sent it to Voyage. I sent a different story of mine to cast of wonders. Since the co-protagonist is young I thought I'd submit it there. It's a young adult market as well. If voyage doesn't accept it I know there are other markets for the one I submitted. Still wish I had some more feedback on that particular story to know if I finally fixed it according to the feedback in the workshop... It has a good style imo. I don't usually write with an emphasis that is heavy on style. But a lot of people who give feedback have that philosophy when it comes to writing their own stories.

JJBuchholz

Starting another publishing blitz right now. My latest short story is being sent off to ELQ, The Windsor Review, The New Yorker (aiming high right now!), and a couple others via online submissions. Here's hoping!

-JJB

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Well, I finally got it in gear and approached an editor with some possibilities this week. So I at least know the first part of 2021 will be busy because the editor's interested.

I offered an essay on a topic I've been researching and writing for a couple of years and the editor wants it. Now I have to finish writing it (I need to track down a couple of citations and need to polish it up.)

I also offered a list of recommended how-to books on writing in general (good how-tos for fiction, poetry, prose poetry, flash fiction, creative nonfiction). The editor wants it and I'm in the process of pulling that together.

But what also happened was that the editor asked me if I would serve as editor for a collection of flash fiction (a "best of" collection). I quickly said yes and am now busy doing the reading and selecting for that project.

So I'm finishing up 2020 busy, and will get off to a good and busy start with 2021.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Good luck, all. Hope you all get a "yes" from the publishers you've contacted. I just sent off three prose poems to Better Than Starbucks. This is so difficult for me, deciding where I'll send something, deciding what I'll send, and then getting all the necessary info together (cover letter, bio). I'm patting myself on the back because today I finally sent something out. So this is a good start to 2021.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
I also meant to say that Better Than Starbucks pays for each quarterly issue's Editor's Choice and another award (can't think of the name of the second award). So while not every writer gets pay, some do. (I've received the Editor's Choice award twice now.) They also nominate for the Pushcart Prize each year (I was lucky enough to have my work nominated by them-- last year or maybe the year before). And if you like hard copy, they also have a Print on Demand (POD) system. You might consider sending them some of your work too.