Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

When people ask why your screenplay is important or why should it be made... (1 Viewer)

ironpony

This question comes up of course when you show your script to people and it's one that producers will ask so that's good.

I was told that my script is too politically incorrect for today's audience, and therefore why should it be made. But my reason is that it's because the fact that it's not politically correct is actually why it should, and that that's a strength.

There are a lot of movie fans out there who are tired of so much content being politically correct, so they are really hungry for a movie that would not be, and it will be an important breath of fresh air for moviegoers.

But is this a bad reason to say why a movie has to be made or why is it important? Thanks for any input on it! I really appreciate it!

Hewlett

A true movie goer has for the most part, given up on American cinema. Not entirely, ofc but just generally speaking. The last time American movies were made well was in the 90's, and a few in the '10's. Too many reasons to list for the decline, but I'm not sure that it matters at this point because the movie industry is just filled with people that don't give a damn about film. Not trying to discredit the many, talented screenplay writer's that were born for this, but compared to Euro or Spanish cinema, we're far behind.

I have* to assume you're in the States, correct me if I'm wrong(?) :) One of the greatest things about the horror genre is that PC doesn't stand a chance.

Taylor

Staff member
Board Moderator
This question comes up of course when you show your script to people and it's one that producers will ask so that's good.

I was told that my script is too politically incorrect for today's audience, and therefore why should it be made. But my reason is that it's because the fact that it's not politically correct is actually why it should, and that that's a strength.

There are a lot of movie fans out there who are tired of so much content being politically correct, so they are really hungry for a movie that would not be, and it will be an important breath of fresh air for moviegoers.

But is this a bad reason to say why a movie has to be made or why is it important? Thanks for any input on it! I really appreciate it!

It's sounds like the reason you give to make your movie is a response to the critic. Was that the reason you wrote the script in the first place, or is there another reason, someone would want to see it?

ironpony

It's sounds like the reason you give to make your movie is a response to the critic. Was that the reason you wrote the script in the first place, or is there another reason, someone would want to see it?

Oh no, I didn't write the script as a response to political correctness if that is what you mean. It's just when readers say it's too politically incorrect, I just am not sure how to respond, and my thoughts are well who cares about political correctness. But I could point out the merits of the story that make it worth it, if that's best?

Taylor

Staff member
Board Moderator
Oh no, I didn't write the script as a response to political correctness if that is what you mean. It's just when readers say it's too politically incorrect, I just am not sure how to respond, and my thoughts are well who cares about political correctness. But I could point out the merits of the story that make it worth it, if that's best?

I didn't think you had, but the way you worded the question I wasn't sure. So I think it's important to highlight the strength of the story and the reason people should see it. And perhaps give a reason for your motivation to write the story, and defend that rather than suggesting it would be a "breath of fresh air to readers", because it's politically incorrect. That sounds too much like a marketer and not an artist. I don’t think people will respond to that kind of defense or pitch.

It makes me think of The Clockwork Orange. Hugely politically incorrect and banned from many bookstores, schools and libraries, but it had a wide following. According to Wikipedia, "It is considered one of the most influential dystopian books." But did the author write it because it was politically incorrect? Probably not. Perhaps a better approach would be to say “If authors/producers shied away from politically incorrect movie scripts, we would’ve never had The Clockwork Orange.

If you want to change people’s perspectives or paradigms, you need to say something more compelling or even noble to a degree. If that makes sense...

ironpony

Oh okay thanks, I thought they wanted an answer from a marketing perspective when trying to pitch it, rather than an answer from an artist's perspective.

Taylor

Staff member
Board Moderator
Oh okay thanks, I thought they wanted an answer from a marketing perspective when trying to pitch it, rather than an answer from an artist's perspective.

Well that may be true. I don't know much about your business. I was just trying to respond to your question. Perhaps someone on the forum knows more about it.

ironpony

Oh okay thanks. And you make a really good point too, thanks :). Well if people ask why should this movie be made because of the controversy surrounding it, should I just say what makes the story good, story and theme wise, rather than talk about how moviegoers are hungry for a risky controversial movie nowadays then?

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
If I were you I was thinking I would journal events from everyday life or I would consider adapting an existing work. One thing about writing stories is that real life is considered myth. Yesterday, something potentially bad was going to happen where I was staying so I wrote it down. I don't like John truby's philosophy because I have tried to summarize it. It is very unclear what he says and how to apply it is less clear. I have now encountered a better film making guide than that book. This is just my opinion. However, I would not attempt to write this from the perspective of crime of that nature. It's too controversial. Good luck as always and we should be optimistic after receiving criticism and feedback. Maybe even we should be constructive.

Users who are viewing this thread