Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

When Did You Get The Most Excited About Your Writing (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
It's easy for me to answer this because it's the very reason I started this thread. I was so excited, I couldn't wait to share my excitement with other writers. I was compelled to crank my Techno up to 11 and throw open my living room window.

'I've got it! I'm telling you, I've got it!' (until I hit another downer ...) But right now, that's how I feel about The Sixth Chamber. I've been working so hard to craft my style to produce the voice I know that's inside of me and today, for better or worse, I suddenly felt satisfied. I almost jumped to my feet. 'This is it!'. You may loath my style, consider it over written at times, think I try too hard, let the editor inside hold me up for far too long, but today I feel vindicated. For me ... you've got to understand that. I do this for me.

So, what moment did you suddenly stand back and revel in the joy of what you'd just written?

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
I'm glad you are feeling good about your writing Az. I know you think you are just "competent" but you are a really good writer! You take the time to analyze your work thoroughly instead of saying "this is good enough I guess." You have helped me figure out how to criticize my work (still learning of course.) I always knew there was something wrong with it, but until the forum, I couldn't figure out what. Self-editing is always a struggle though lol. Every time I type something I asked myself "is this okay, or is it actually not good and will I get "roasted" for it?" 😆

Not to be a bummer, but to answer your question, I haven't reveled in my storytelling/ writing (yet). The last time I got super excited is when I thought of my book idea and that was before I had written anything. we know how that went lol.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I'm glad you are feeling good about your writing Az. I know you think you are just "competent" but you are a really good writer! You take the time to analyze your work thoroughly instead of saying "this is good enough I guess." You have helped me figure out how to criticize my work (still learning of course.) I always knew there was something wrong with it, but until the forum, I couldn't figure out what. Self-editing is always a struggle though lol. Every time I type something I asked myself "is this okay, or is it actually not good and will I get "roasted" for it?" 😆

Not to be a bummer, but to answer your question, I haven't reveled in my storytelling/ writing (yet). The last time I got super excited is when I thought of my book idea and that was before I had written anything. we know how that went lol.
You can revel in a sentence. It doesn't have to be a full story or a scene. And you're not getting 'roasted'! Put that out of your mind immediately. My little moment arose from something I've been speaking about constantly since I joined this forum. The voice, the style, the tone. I might start a thread about it actually. Everything leads from another and if you get that journey right, what follows is cast in a completely different light. This is why I sometimes fight to keep a sentence the way I designed it. It isn't the sentence itself that's at fault, it's what leads up to it.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
You can revel in a sentence. It doesn't have to be a full story or a scene. And you're not getting 'roasted'! Put that out of your mind immediately. My little moment arose from something I've been speaking about constantly since I joined this forum. The voice, the style, the tone. I might start a thread about it actually. Everything leads from another and if you get that journey right, what follows is cast in a completely different light. This is why I sometimes fight to keep a sentence the way I designed it. It isn't the sentence itself that's at fault, it's what leads up to it.
I know you aren't "roasting" that's why it was in quotes (it was a hyperbole on my part)

And I think you should start a thread!

JBF

Staff member
Global Moderator
I've been at this a while.

When I was just starting out (circa 1998 or so) I was on fire to start a revolution in the fiction world - gonna get published, like, super young and be the talk of the known universe. TV interviews, movie deals, world leaders coming to ask my advice with matters of state....all that jazz. I was pretty excited about being famous and rich and someday buying my own small island nation, which I would then rule as an just and enlightened all-powerful overlord.

The next time I was excited was when I realized I wasn't the same guy who thought the preceding. Being relieved of the burden of being Awesomeness Incarnate was nice, and it meant I could get back to enjoying writing. I was still pretty crap at it, though.

After that, it was realizing that my long-running protag didn't really fit the mold into which I'd been stuffing him for a number of years. So I guess he didn't really need to be tall/athletic/good-looking/rich/famous/etc. Which meant I could build a character out of common mud. Learning to write characters as opposed to cardboard cutouts was pretty cool.

Then people told me the world and the people I built was relatable and made sense. That was probably the gold-medal event as excitement went. Meant I maybe had a chance to amount to something, so long as I played my cards right and actually wrote stuff.

Still get a little electric buzz when I hear I've still got it. Or when I get a new idea for a short, or a development that works well in the planning of a longer piece.

Or a find a penny on the sidewalk. It's the little things, you know?

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
I've been at this a while.

When I was just starting out (circa 1998 or so) I was on fire to start a revolution in the fiction world - gonna get published, like, super young and be the talk of the known universe. TV interviews, movie deals, world leaders coming to ask my advice with matters of state....all that jazz. I was pretty excited about being famous and rich and someday buying my own small island nation, which I would then rule as an just and enlightened all-powerful overlord.
lol
how old were you in 1998?
(that was the year I was born)

JBF

Staff member
Global Moderator
I was fourteen. I think.

I dunno. They say memory is the first thing to go. Can't recall what the second was.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
I was fourteen. I think.

I dunno. They say memory is the first thing to go. Can't recall what the second was.
I've had a similar moment back in my preteen/ teenage years. (Don't help when teachers say things that help boost your ego but don't tell you all the things that are wrong)

Megan Pearson

When I wrote the final page for my first, first draft. It was, like, as exhilarating as stepping off a loop-de-loop rollercoaster for the next two weeks.

Can't say that's happened since, but that it happened once makes it all the more worth pursuing it again.

Cephus

Honestly, I don't get that excited about finishing drafts anymore. I used to, back before I did it half a dozen times a year. Now, I might get a momentary buzz for an hour before remembering that tomorrow, I get to do it all over again.

Where I find myself getting the most excited, and this is weird, is at the end of a project and I start thinking about getting started on the next one. I just want to get done with this project so I can get back to other things. I'm doing that right now. I really, really want to read the last book I wrote, back in May. I loved that book.

JJBuchholz

The most excitement I usually feel from my own writing happens whenever I come up with a massive story idea (especially when I can see the whole
thing clear as day in my mind) and can't wait to start getting it down. I usually talk about a new idea a lot to friends and family before I start the first
draft and enjoy the process.

Also, I was super excited/emotional both times I had manuscripts accepted by publishers. I don't think anything can compare to the raw excitement
and wave of emotions one goes through to know that your work is being appreciated, and your passion for writing is further validated by people who
will help share it with others.

-JJB

Status
Not open for further replies.