Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What's Your Nano Word Count? (1 Viewer)

thepancreas11

New Writers' Mentor
WF Veterans
Boondoggle! Just cranked out my 40,000th word. What's that, 5,000 this month? Bring it on, fictional reality I type about.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I have a feeling most of those people are writing stream-of-consciousness malarky to make those word counts. I actually tried it, but it felt so pointless I couldn't make myself do it for long.

I used stream-of-consciousness to complete NaNo in 2012. It worked just fine for me because instead of thinking about the writing, I imagined I was sharing the story with a friend, so as I wrote, I told the story out loud. Yes, I stumbled in places, but I kept writing. Anything I wasn't happy with, rather than edit, I highlighted the text in red and 50,000 words just flew past. I recently shared the first chapter to the WF Workshop for crit. For me the whole point of Nano was to get the story down on paper not nit-pick on the correct use of punctuation. I actually completed NaNo in just over two weeks because I was travelling, and then got a nasty chest infection. If you want to complete it, you will find some way of doing so. Go for it!

That said... everyone works to their own method and style. :)

Onwards...

Last edited:

Skodt

WF Veteran
WF Veterans
15K! Pretty happy about today. I got a lot out in the story and I really feel I have paved a good path. We will see how that works out, but for tonight I feel really good about this.

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
24,018 as of late last night. Hoping this weekend to get ahead by at least 2-3k so I can still finish despite the work travel, holidays, and LM Judging coming up. Probably won't check back into this thread for a week or so, but I wish you guys all Godspeed with your writing. :)

Edit - 25,500. Over halfway, and right on track. Went and looked at last year's stats, and I was way ahead of where I am now. Go, dammit, go!

Edit - 28,466! Gotta keep from killing one of my characters off. It almost happened twice today. Fun times!

Last edited:

Skodt

WF Veteran
WF Veterans
I didn't write last night. Today I have gotten 500 words onto the screen. I am just not feeling motivated, mostly because I think I may be coming down with a cold :-/ I have one more week of Uni until thanksgiving break. I am going to get some things done that week, even if it kills me.

^I wrote this, figured I was being lazy and went and cranked out another 800 words. So, now my count is at 16,208

Last edited:

Playboy V

Back in November 1st, I started off with two novels, to see which one would develop into a better story. Two completely diffrent stories, one about a cop, and another about a musician. First weeks of November were pretty good (for me, personally). But then, depression struck, I got drunk, and momentum got fucked.

Anyway, here's total word count of both stories, as of tonight: 1669 (musician) and 2163 (cop)

thepancreas11

New Writers' Mentor
WF Veterans
44,000 as of this morning; that might be anywhere between 10 and 15k this month. (CAN SOMEONE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE TABULATE MY ACTUAL NUMBER?)

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
I broke the 30k mark today, coming in somewhere around 30,130. I'm a day ahead now, and aiming to build on that. The story's coming together nicely.

J Anfinson

Retired Supervisor
Somehow, part of mine is missing. It's like I've lost about a thousand/maybe little more words somewhere, but oh well. I'm at 13,000. The story I'm concentrating on now is interesting at least.

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
Keep pushing on, guys!

I passed 32k mark today, and had to stop and write a short story, post that crappy thing up in the Workshop. It gave me a strange momentum boost, and now I'm back at the NaNo. Part of me just wants to be DONE with it. :) :) :)

Skodt

WF Veteran
WF Veterans
21,005 after today's writing session. I am too far behind to make a run at 50K, but I would be happy hitting 30K and knowing I did 1k a day for 30 days.

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
I'm at 40,118 and about sick of writing today. Anyone else cruising toward some kind of 50k finish before month's end? I'm hoping to finish by Wednesday so I can travel for the holiday with the fam and not think about this infernal story that's been keeping me awake. :)