Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What's up with the girls in Catcher in the Rye? (1 Viewer)

H

hansul89

I was reading through this book again, and came up with this question:
I see lots of Girls, yet no guys.

Jane, Sunny (the prostitue), the girls at lobby before Sally comes, Sally, the girl with the ice skate, Sally, Phoebe, 3 girls at bar, etc.

Well yes, there are guys too; like maurice, the elevator boy, Earney... but they do not seem as emphasized as the girls.

Here is a quote from chapter 17:

"In a way, it was sort of depressing, too, because you kept wondering what the hell would happen to all of them. When they got out of school and college, I mean. You figured most of them would probably marry dopey guys..." (123).

It seems like the guys' role is to disrupt the innocence and the victims are always the girls.

Am I reading into it too much, or do you guys have some ideas about this?

By the way, this is my first post, so if I'm not supposed to post these things please tell me.

Love & Peace, Like always :)

Shepard

Salinger is girl-crazy. Here's another question. Why is the only intimate contact between Holden and his sister?

H

hansul89

Well he's had intimate relationship with Jane and Sally - or do those count?

Maybe if a woman author wrote it, it'd be all guys?
-~-;

strangedaze

JayDee also liked his young girls. He had some pretty sketchy relationships with high school girls, if I'm not mistaken.