Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What would you like to see more of in Urban Fantasy? (1 Viewer)

I'm working on such a novel myself and I wanted some more community input on what people would want more (or less) of out of this setting.

TWErvin2

I don't read tons of urban fantasy, but what I'd like to see (more of):
Double-barrel shotguns
Wererats
Busty women with high IQs
Ghouls
Unusual familiars like possums, skunks or snapping turtles

apocalypsegal

More of, hm. That's a tough one. Less of? Less brassy, sassy smart aleck can do everything female leads, less sex scenes (none at all is preferred, but I seldom get what I want). I'd like a lot less skin-tight leather pants on covers. lol

I like more adult characters, not a fan of the still almost YA characters. I like stories that don't have to break their own rules for something to work. I like character growth, especially if it's believable.

Joker

How about urban fantasy that's actually set in a fantasy world, not an alternate Earth with a flimsy justification for a lack of werewolf Presidents? No offense to Harry Potter and the Dresden Files but I'm sick to death of "the masquerade".

I don't read much Urban Fantasy, but ...

Less focus on romance
Less eroticizing of magical beings for no discernable reason
More stuff that involves angels and demons where the angels and demons actually feel like angels and demons. Like the demons are actually evil (not tragic figures or "cool" or "sexy"), and the angels are (in Charles Williams' words) "a terrible good."
On that note, more cool angel stuff that pulls from the Bible, like 6-winged, many-eyed seraphim.
More YA that isn't centered on romance
More sense of wonder alongside the grittiness -- could be good contrast here. Like enchanted forests growing up inside decrepit warehouses, cherubim alighting on telephone poles kind of thing.
More vampires that are actually monstrous (as opposed to "humans but --")

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I don't read much Urban Fantasy, but ...

Less focus on romance
Less eroticizing of magical beings for no discernable reason
More stuff that involves angels and demons where the angels and demons actually feel like angels and demons. Like the demons are actually evil (not tragic figures or "cool" or "sexy"), and the angels are (in Charles Williams' words) "a terrible good."
On that note, more cool angel stuff that pulls from the Bible, like 6-winged, many-eyed seraphim.
More YA that isn't centered on romance
More sense of wonder alongside the grittiness -- could be good contrast here. Like enchanted forests growing up inside decrepit warehouses, cherubim alighting on telephone poles kind of thing.
More vampires that are actually monstrous (as opposed to "humans but --")
I suppose you could call my latest ("Part Time Pagan God" - about the remaining Olympians - in our time) urban fantasy, and I replied because I also have demons and an angel. Angels are frustrated because they're no longer allowed to unilaterally intervene in human events ... but when they are you don't want to be on the side opposing their intervention, even among demons. Demons are nasty, but not promiscuous sowers of evil, and they can be dealt with when it involves their self-interest. Plus, I have a fallen angel who is one of a group who regrets the Fall.

In my research, I was interested to find that not all demons in mythos are all that bad. My fallen angel is a demon who is talented at finding lost people, and suffers from a curse placed as punishment for the Fall. There are other demons who can do some very helpful things. One subject my research did not cover is what these 'helpful demons' might demand in return for their favor, which has been explored in fiction, and I might find interesting to do myself in the sequel.

I do have some demons doing very bad things.

Lawless

In urban fantasy, I would like to see more realism. Less deliberate silliness. More British-like subtle humor rather than getting hit over the head with blatantly grotesque things. Fantasy doesn't need to be nonsense.