Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What was the last Movie/TV Show you watched? (1 Viewer)

BrandonTheWriter

Use this thread to discuss any Movies/TV Shows you have watched recently. Tell us a bit about what you thought of them.

I'll start:

I just finished watching a 2010 film called It's Kind of a Funny Story

Funnystory.png

I really enjoyed it. The lead actor is fantastic and gives off a very real and relatable performance, and I felt a lot of myself in the character as someone who has battled depression and still does. It is rounded out with a great cast, and I always love Emma Roberts. Zach Galifianakis is someone who I haven't seen have a ton of amazing performances, but he really does a stand-out job in this film. The film makes you feel good, and has a sweet storyline. A bit cliche at moments, but heartfelt and nice. I have heard the book is equally as good, it's a shame to hear the Author of it took his own life in 2013. That was really sad to discover after watching the film. I will definitely read the book at some point as I like to do with any adaptations.

Reactions: PiP

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
A movie adaptation
of the book 'Grey Mountain' by John Grisham
[video=youtube;DCP-IRkTFG0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCP-IRkTFG0[/video]

It is the type of movie that has you gripping your seat and once it's finished you sit in silence digesting the horrors of corporate land rape, destruction and greed.

Matchu

‘The Flying Deuces.’

...preparing for end of end stage 3 in watching b&w classics, signalling memoirists etc, press.

Although watched entire ‘Serpent’. 1-8. Recommended.

Hector

Star vs the Forces of Evil, Phineas and Ferb, The Owl House, Just Roll with It
It seems I watch only kid shows. :glee:

BrandonTheWriter

The Platform

The_Platform_poster.jpg

Heard a lot about this film, and I can see what all the fuss was about. Very crazy viewing experience. Love how they worked around a smaller budget, honestly such a compelling film. I watched it in the original language with subtitles and feel that was the best choice. Far more emotion in the voices. The actors were great but I'm not familiar with any of them, which I think made me more immersed. The movie is scary look at society in a way and how those at the top consume more than they need at the expense of those at the bottom.

Reactions: PiP

BrandonTheWriter

What is about modern films/movies that requires the music to be three times the volume of the dialogue?

What films are you referring to in particular?

I think Tenet was the last one where I felt this way, the dialogue was very hard to hear and understand in places. Usually Christopher Nolan is great, but I thought it was weaker than his other films.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I'm on my fifth season of The Expanse which is an Amazon original sci-fi show. The story is pretty good, the visuals are great, I think that they've done a good job putting as much hard science into this as they can which helps to sell the more fantastical elements required of a life-in-space future. It's a little dark and hard-edged, gritty, more so than I usually like, but I'm involved with these characters now so as long as they make these and don't screw it up in some way that spoils it for me, I'm in.

Lumiiberry

Technically not a TV show (it's getting a Netflix adaptation though!) but Bee and Puppycat. It's about an unemployed 20-something who lives with an interdimensional being. To make a living, they do magical temp jobs on distant planets. It seems pretty unrealistic, but it actually shows some pretty real life problems, like paying rent and doing freelance work just to get by. And, yes, it is animated.

As for movies, I started watching Dr. Strangelove. I really like the premise of it, and there are a few parts that make me crack up laughing.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
The Platform

View attachment 26324

Heard a lot about this film, and I can see what all the fuss was about. Very crazy viewing experience. Love how they worked around a smaller budget, honestly such a compelling film. I watched it in the original language with subtitles and feel that was the best choice. Far more emotion in the voices. The actors were great but I'm not familiar with any of them, which I think made me more immersed. The movie is scary look at society in a way and how those at the top consume more than they need at the expense of those at the bottom.

I was a little disappointed in it to be honest. I mean ... the children are the answer to the problems of capitalism and greed, is cliched and somewhat shallow. It's very plot structure prevented it from broadening the concept and lead to a 2D version of reality. Interesting idea but not satisfying in practice. Maybe a short but definitely not a full length feature film.

BrandonTheWriter

I was a little disappointed in it to be honest. I mean ... the children are the answer to the problems of capitalism and greed, is cliched and somewhat shallow. It's very plot structure prevented it from broadening the concept and lead to a 2D version of reality. Interesting idea but not satisfying in practice. Maybe a short but definitely not a full length feature film.

It was good until the ending, I do agree. Still thought it was a good watch either way.

LadySilence

Movie "Le flic de Belleville" with Omar Sy. VOTE 8
Tv series, Lupin, always with Omar Sy VOTE 8
Wanda Vision-TV series VOTE 8

Tiamat

Patron
I just finished watching all six seasons of "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air." It was basically my favorite after school show growing up, and I'm glad to see that it aged reasonably well.