Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What Was The Last Book That You Read? (1 Viewer)

Jeko

WF Veterans
The last book I finished was I Am Number Four. The story was excellent. The ending was awful.

Hoping the sequel will do the situation more justice.

Michael Tea

The last book I finished was Wyrd Sisters, the sixth of the Discworld series. Since I am a fan of the series I enjoyed this as much as any other Pratchett book. The one before that - a collection of macabre short stories by Poe, Lovecraft and others - was also very good. The Poe story was rather disappointing, but the book introduced me to half a dozen other very good writers I'd never even heard of before I read it and that made up for it. :)

Michael Tea

What was the name of the collection? I'd like to know who the others are that you enjoyed.

Classic Tales of the Macabre - the one by David Stuart Davies (apparently there's another one by Charles Keeping). My favorites were A Pair of Hands by Arthur Quiller-Couch, Thurnley Abbey by Perceval Landon, A Terribly Strange Bed by Wilkie Collins and The Last Leaf by O. Henry. The Horror in the Museum is standard Lovecraft stuff, which I was already acquainted with, and the Poe story was The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar, which I'd already read a few times. Then there were other stories by Rudyard Kipling, Barry Pain, Bram Stoker, W.W. Jacobs and others... overall, the only writer I did know of prior to buying the book (besides Poe and Lovecraft, who are very well-known) was Wilkie Collins, and I hadn't read any of his stories.

Note, the book only features one story from each writer. I guess the whole point of it was to introduce you to a variety of different authors rather than showcase how awesome two or three people were at writing horror stories.

moderan

WF Veterans
Classic Tales of the Macabre - the one by David Stuart Davies (apparently there's another one by Charles Keeping). My favorites were A Pair of Hands by Arthur Quiller-Couch, Thurnley Abbey by Perceval Landon, A Terribly Strange Bed by Wilkie Collins and The Last Leaf by O. Henry. The Horror in the Museum is standard Lovecraft stuff, which I was already acquainted with, and the Poe story was The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar, which I'd already read a few times. Then there were other stories by Rudyard Kipling, Barry Pain, Bram Stoker, W.W. Jacobs and others... overall, the only writer I did know of prior to buying the book (besides Poe and Lovecraft, who are very well-known) was Wilkie Collins, and I hadn't read any of his stories.

Note, the book only features one story from each writer. I guess the whole point of it was to introduce you to a variety of different authors rather than showcase how awesome two or three people were at writing horror stories.
There are (or have been) a great number of such anthologies (I could recommend a few if you'd like). I couldn't find the actual table of contents anywhere...I'll assume the Jacobs was The Monkey's Paw?
The volume by Charles Keeping is everywhere, and has less than half as many stories. Funny, that.

Michael Tea

It is the Monkey's Paw indeed! How did you know? :eek:

Also: I've kind of already made up my mind on the next book I'm buying, but I'd like to hear some suggestions. :)

beanlord56

The Heroes of Olympus: The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan. The ending kinda snuck up on me, took me by surprise, and left me in tears. It's too much to tell without spoiling the entire book and the seven before it, but I can say that Percy and Annabeth have been through too much.

Freakconformist

I've been reading the Mercy Thompson series from Patrica Briggs. It's the first time I have really gotten into a "werewolf" story. Unfortunately, I've gotten into trouble with the Library again and I can't check out anymore books until I pay the fine for leaving the last two books in my back seat for three months. I'm starting to think it would be cheaper if I just bought the books. :\

tepelus

Fevre Dream, by George R. R. Martin, and yes, I enjoyed it very much so. You have to have a tolerance for river boats, though, since Martin likes to go on and on about them, and for vulgar language directed at the slaves. I haven't read anything in a while. I should probably pick up another book sometime and read.

SirThinkALot

The Hobbit, mostly in preparation for the movie. And yes I did. But I knew I would, since I'd read it before(it was the first full novel I read).

FleshEater

WF Veterans
Just finished Outer Dark by Cormac McCarthy. The man has a way of killing man, woman, and child in the most beautiful, lyrical, disturbing and shocking of ways. I still haven't found a McCarthy novel I haven't enjoyed.

moderan

WF Veterans
Fevre Dream, by George R. R. Martin, and yes, I enjoyed it very much so. You have to have a tolerance for river boats, though, since Martin likes to go on and on about them, and for vulgar language directed at the slaves. I haven't read anything in a while. I should probably pick up another book sometime and read.
I think that's the vampire novel that Anne Rice wanted to write. Martin is so much the better stylist. Very enjoyable, as you say.

chicagoliz

I'm reading War by Sebastian Junger. I had just finished a book called Until Tuesday for my book club, although I did not think that book was particularly good.

popsprocket

Retired Chief Media Manager
Towers of Midnight - Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson

The last book comes out ridiculously soon, so I did a reread of the whole Wheel of Time series. Now I just have to sit on my thumbs and try not to die of anticipation.