Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What to charge for Ghostwriting services.... (1 Viewer)

Hi! Ok, so there's this gentleman in my community that needs some ghostwriting services for his book. I've never done this and I don't even begin to know what to charge. I'm currently doing some proofreading/editing for another local (new) author and I'm charging her $10/chapter (which I've come to realize is WAY too low, as I'm basically having to rewrite what she's written- formatting is all wrong, grammar, etc.). So, I'm wondering what I should be charging for ghostwriting services- from the way he's talking about the project, I'll pretty much be rewriting what he's writing, making it more readable. Please help!! :)

John_O

WF Veterans
Well, I have read of ghostwriters charging as much as $10,000 ! About 10 years ago my mom contacted a ghostwriter and he was asking $5,000

Skodt

WF Veteran
WF Veterans
Matters your skill level and also your name. I don't know you and therefore I can't speak on either. I can say that if you were new I would not pay you 5000 for the service; but if you have a name built you can start negotiations at a number you think is fair.

shadowwalker

WF Veterans
Agree with Skodt - skill and reputation matter.

There's also a difference between ghost-writing and editing - and it sounds more like you'd be editing for this fellow.

Gargh

WF Veterans
Agree ^^. If he's got chapters, start to finish, then what you're doing is editing. If he just has notes and anecdotes then you'll be ghost-writing. Ask him to send you the first chapter to look over, this will give you a better idea of how many hours you will need to put in to bring it up to a credible standard. You could also offer to do the first chapter at a fixed price to see if he likes it and/or if you are the right person for the job. It will give both of you the opportunity to try things out before you jump in to a contract. After that either work out a fixed price or an hourly rate based on how many hours you put in to the first chapter and/or how many hours he's prepared to pay for.