Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What song are you listening to? (3 Viewers)

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
I love the Coen Brothers' work--whatever they turn out. O Brother just happens to be my favorite. I've had "Down to the River to Pray" stuck in my head for days, Mark Twain't. (Thanks, now I feel it taking up residence again.) I think whether someone's religious or not the songs in that film can make a person feel quite religious or spiritual or something out of the ordinary. I found a bit on the 'net about the film and the clip had the Wharvy Girls (Peasall Sisters) all grown up and singing their song from that film. I love the cleverness of their repeating "He's a suitor!" I laughed every time (Penelope had suitors while Odysseus was away). I loved "I Am A Man of Constant Sorrow" and whatever else the Soggy Bottom Boys sang. Glad to know others here love the film and the music too.

TMarie

I pulled my husband's 1967 Corvair out of storage this summer, and the CD we listened to All the time was still in the player. It was his birthday yesterday, so I took it for a cruise, listening to our favourite song ... over and over and over

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
My musical tastes are all over the map - one day I'll listen to Judas Priest, and on another day I'll listen to this:

A Chomaraigh Aoibhinn O is an Irish song written by an man that immigrated to America - the lyrics are about how he misses his home and friends.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh is a traditional Irish fiddle player - very well known in Ireland. I had the good fortune to meet her and attend concerts with her band 'Altan' while I was in Co. Donegal many years ago.

robertn51

Friends of WF

A vision. In the ears and the eyes.

I was doing just fine, listening in another tab as I worked the morning things, and then she did the surprise by-request encore of Asturias (at 53:49) ...What morning things?

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
What a song, indianroads.. I've been reading some of the work work of Alain Robbe-Grillet and Nathalie Sarraute so before clicking into "Vincent" I was already a little bit intellectually fragile, wobbly, dizzy, almost panicky even. I listened to the song and tears formed. I wish I could say I understand, but it's those times when it feels as if I get the closest to understanding, that's when I get the shakiest. Or perhaps understanding anything is merely illusion and perhaps I never will understand anything. I envy you and your wife your trip to the Van Gogh exhibit. Be sure to take notes and make observations for us. (I've always loved that Don MacLean song.) So much to understand, so little time.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
What a song, indianroads.. I've been reading some of the work work of Alain Robbe-Grillet and Nathalie Sarraute so before clicking into "Vincent" I was already a little bit intellectually fragile, wobbly, dizzy, almost panicky even. I listened to the song and tears formed. I wish I could say I understand, but it's those times when it feels as if I get the closest to understanding, that's when I get the shakiest. Or perhaps understanding anything is merely illusion and perhaps I never will understand anything. I envy you and your wife your trip to the Van Gogh exhibit. Be sure to take notes and make observations for us. (I've always loved that Don MacLean song.) So much to understand, so little time.
I know what you mean. So much good that gets trampled down, it's sad. With the way things are going in the world there are many times I want to hide in the basement and give up on everything. Writing is my refuge - create something hopeful, or tragic to vent your fears.
Here's something uplifting (maybe) - that a young person can play Vivaldi on an electric guitar is just amazing, and gives me a bit of hope.