Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What song are you listening to? (1 Viewer)

Sinister

This is my favorite song. For the short time I've been alive, I've never found a better one. And this is the best version of it. That's all I have to say.

-Sin

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
I'm listening to a collection of bluegrass, all done by women. It's titled O Sister. I like bluegrass but this CD is particularly special to me. I watched O Brother Where Art Thou? on t.v. the other night (for the 100th time), loved that music all over again (and loved the film and George Clooney/ Odysseus) and it reminded me to give another listen to O Sister. Next will probably be Bill Monroe. Then I'll be ready for a different type of music. I like all kinds.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
As I said, b.d.charles, I've watched O Brother one hundred times now (just a slight exaggeration) and I love it all over again every time. Odysseus's sidekicks are hysterical. I love Penelope and those Sirens are such temptresses! I loved the baptizing in the river (have watched that take place in real life). I love Clooney's high-falutin' way of speaking. Love the greasy hair pomade. Loved Baby Face Nelson. Then there's the music. Oh, my, the music. "Oh, Death, Oh Death, won't you spare me over for another year . . ." And as far as "You Are My Sunshine" goes, My mom told me when I was a toddler she took me to church and there was a lot of singing going on. I was angry because I didn't know the words to the songs they sang so in my loudest voice I belted out "You Are My Sunshine" and brought the house down. That song and I are old friends.:-D It never fails to get me in a good mood for days after watching that hysterical O Brother film. Them there Coen Brothers can sure turn out good films. Glad to meet another fan of O Brother, one of my all-time favorite films.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
As I said, b.d.charles, I've watched O Brother one hundred times now (just a slight exaggeration) and I love it all over again every time. Odysseus's sidekicks are hysterical. I love Penelope and those Sirens are such temptresses! I loved the baptizing in the river (have watched that take place in real life). I love Clooney's high-falutin' way of speaking. Love the greasy hair pomade. Loved Baby Face Nelson. Then there's the music. Oh, my, the music. "Oh, Death, Oh Death, won't you spare me over for another year . . ." And as far as "You Are My Sunshine" goes, My mom told me when I was a toddler she took me to church and there was a lot of singing going on. I was angry because I didn't know the words to the songs they sang so in my loudest voice I belted out "You Are My Sunshine" and brought the house down. That song and I are old friends.:-D It never fails to get me in a good mood for days after watching that hysterical O Brother film. Them there Coen Brothers can sure turn out good films. Glad to meet another fan of O Brother, one of my all-time favorite films.
Ah, it's so quotable - every line is gold. And every frame is a gorgeous photograph. And you are right, the music just tops off an already heartbreakingly perfect film - there is not a bad song on the soundtrack. Fell in love with Alison Krauss's voice over this movie. I used to sing "Go to sleep my little baby" (the Siren song) to my youngest daughter to calm her off to sleep. She's ten now and to this day that song still knocks her out.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Oh, yes, the scenery is incredible too in O Brother. Oh, yes, to Alison Krauss' voice too. She's wonderful. As is Gillian Welch. So much talent in that film. Love the Sirens' version of "Go to Sleep You Little Baby. ("Momma's long gone with her red shoes on, didn't leave nobody but the baaaaay-be." I'm betting your daughter will forever treasure that song. This discussion will likely require that I pull out my little karaoke machine and go to gown. I can sing fine when nobody's listening.:-D) To sing like Krauss or Welch, what an amazing ability that must be.

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
I love that film but then I'm a bit of a Coen Brothers fan. I also bought the soundtrack. We were watching a show on tv the other day and they used Down to the River to Pray and I started singing along and I have no religious compunctions whatsoever.