Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What really gets you excited about your writing? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Although I was stuck here in my bubble of two and had to forego Easter dinner, I had lots of time to write and think about writing last weekend. I thought about the things that really get me excited about writing and two things came to mind.

The first one is about foreshadowing. When I find unique ways to bring it in, for example, yesterday, I was googling Shakespeare’s Hamlet, to respond to one of foxee’s posts. I came across some famous quotes, specifically one from Hamlet and one from Polonius. I saw some parallels with my characters, so I incorporated the quotes into a lunch-time banter. One of the characters is a lawyer so that works great with Polonius having counseled Claudius. The way he uses the quote casts some doubt on the character.

The second thing that gets me excited is when I can naturally weave the plot into the dialogue. One of my characters has an idea for a business that I need to introduce to the story. While having dinner with her best friend, she is reminded of her concept when the food is served. The fusion dish has a modern Japanese look to it and gets her relating her design sensibilities to the food. The two talk about the food and then that flows into her idea for the business. It’s like wow...did that just happen?

When you are writing, what things really get you excited?

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
It's all about the story and how characters grow throughout it.

Funny thing though - one of my readers once commented: "Love your writing, but I'd hate to be one of your characters." He's right in that they do go through a lot, but my belief is that strife brings about growth.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
It's all about the story and how characters grow throughout it.

Funny thing though - one of my readers once commented: "Love your writing, but I'd hate to be one of your characters." He's right in that they do go through a lot, but my belief is that strife brings about growth.

Yes...I will attest to that...lol! From what I've read of your work, you do put them through a lot, but in very creative ways. Your passion for storytelling comes through in your writing. I really enjoy your dialogue, like, Liam's "geek-speak." I live for creative dialogue. :)

You also explore and portray very different personalities. Do you get excited when you come up with a new persona?

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
Taylor;2342292 [FONT=Verdana said:
When you are writing, what things really get you excited?[/FONT]

Fine crafting.
A sentence that pops.
A new take on an old trope.
Subverting cliches.
Teasing my readers.
Holding up a mirror to the absurdities of life.
Spelling a difficult word correctly without the spellchecker.

Oh, and blowing things up.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Yes...I will attest to that...lol! From what I've read of your work, you do put them through a lot, but in very creative ways. Your passion for storytelling comes through in your writing. I really enjoy your dialogue, like, Liam's "geek-speak." I live for creative dialogue. :)

You also explore and portray very different personalities. Do you get excited when you come up with a new persona?

The new ones just show up and demand to be let in and heard. It's a little unnerving that they are aspects of my persona... I don't know if you got far enough into Departure to meet 'Dear Mother', or worse, 'The Nurse', they are two very twisted ladies.

Writing excites me, and I wish I were better at it (it's a work in progress).

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Fine crafting.
A sentence that pops.
A new take on an old trope.
Subverting cliches.
Teasing my readers.
Holding up a mirror to the absurdities of life.
Spelling a difficult word correctly without the spellchecker.

Oh, and blowing things up.

I can realate to the spellchecker one a lot!

Can I ask what you mean by "blowing things up?"

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
The new ones just show up and demand to be let in and heard. It's a little unnerving that they are aspects of my persona... I don't know if you got far enough into Departure to meet 'Dear Mother', or worse, 'The Nurse', they are two very twisted ladies.

Writing excites me, and I wish I were better at it (it's a work in progress).

Yes indeed, I met both of those ladies. That nurse is pretty scarey...lol!

I think it's great to strive for continuous improvement, but I think you write very well. It's the type of writing I like to read, clear, visual and lots of action and dialogue. I'm really looking forward to Inception, because that's a world, that interests me and I know a little bit about it. So I will be able to picture the setting quite easily. I think lots of people will be able to relate to that story. How can you not be fascinated with Silicone Valley? What period is it?

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Can I ask what you mean by "blowing things up?"
I probably shouldn't speak for Bazz but some of us really, really enjoy when things explode in a story. I'm rewatching Burn Notice (a spy drama) and my husband and I have dubbed "the happy explosions".

Action is just fun.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I probably shouldn't speak for Bazz but some of us really, really enjoy when things explode in a story. I'm rewatching Burn Notice (a spy drama) and my husband and I have dubbed "the happy explosions".

Action is just fun.

Ah...so major action. Can it be both good and bad?

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Yes indeed, I met both of those ladies. That nurse is pretty scarey...lol!

I think it's great to strive for contunuous improvement, but I think you write very well. It's the type of writing I like to read, clear, visual and lot's of action and dialogue. I'm really looking forward to inception, because that's a world, that interests me and I know a little bit about it. So I will be able to picture the setting quite easily. I think lots of people will be able to relate to that story. How can you not be fascinated with Silicone Valley? What period is it?

This book will be set about 20 years in the future - late 2030's or early 2040's. I'm doubling the current price of housing - and that may not be enough. While doing research I looked up my old apartment complex - it's still there, and still in a shabby part of town. Mind you, it's 40+ years ago, but back then I paid $150/month, now the rent is over $3500/month. And our old house that we sold before moving to Colorado for $900,000 fifteen years ago is listed for $1.8 million.

I'm still fleshing out the outline, and smiling while doing so. This will be fun to write; I get to make fun of the glitz and glamor, and geek engineers that make tons of money on stock options and splits. My MC is wealthy, but lives in a cheap apartment ($3k/month), but he's an outcast because of his stutter - and is ostracized from the cool people. And with an implanted chip in his brain he loses his stutter, and with the IPO of the company he founded, he becomes a Ferrari driving millionaire.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator

Action is just fun.

I'm currently doing the outline for a chase scene through Silicon Valley rush hour traffic. MC is on a motorcycle, and the Antagonist is chasing him in a big SUV. The police, drones, and news helicopters are getting involved.

I'm having a great time doing it.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
This book will be set about 20 years in the future - late 2030's or early 2040's. I'm doubling the current price of housing - and that may not be enough. While doing research I looked up my old apartment complex - it's still there, and still in a shabby part of town. Mind you, it's 40+ years ago, but back then I paid $150/month, now the rent is over $3500/month. And our old house that we sold before moving to Colorado for $900,000 fifteen years ago is listed for $1.8 million.

I'm still fleshing out the outline, and smiling while doing so. This will be fun to write; I get to make fun of the glitz and glamor, and geek engineers that make tons of money on stock options and splits. My MC is wealthy, but lives in a cheap apartment ($3k/month), but he's an outcast because of his stutter - and is ostracized from the cool people. And with an implanted chip in his brain he loses his stutter, and with the IPO of the company he founded, he becomes a Ferrari driving millionaire.

Now that's exciting stuff. Don't you just love these worlds we get to dream up? I know this is off topic (sorry mod) but to double real estate in forty years is way too low IMO. Unless there is a huge market correction, homes in desirable areas will go up exponentially. Especially if it is doesn't have a water issue like other parts of California. But even if it did, you could build that into the plot, that someone solved all the environmantal issues. Or not...and that could be interesting too, more in keeping with your dystopian kind of theme.

I agree that building the outline is one of the funnest parts. I'm already working on and excited about my sequel which will have the real estate market as the underpining for the plot. But then it's all still so exciting to me!

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Now that's exciting stuff. Don't you just love these worlds we get to dream up? I know this is off topic (sorry mod) but to double real estate in forty years is way too low IMO. Unless there is a huge market correction, homes in desirable areas will go up exponentially. Especially if it is doesn't have a water issue like other parts of California. But even if it did, you could build that into the plot, that someone solved all the environmantal issues. Or not...and that could be interesting too, more in keeping with your dystopian kind of theme.

I agree that building the outline is one of the funnest parts. I'm already working on and excited about my sequel which will have the real estate market as the underpining for the plot. But then it's all still so exciting to me!

I agree. Don't you just love this stuff?
MC is riding his motorcycle at 80mph while splitting lanes on I-880. 12 lanes each way, yet the freeway and it's still a frigging parking lot 22 hours a day (it's lighter between 1 and 3 am - I know this because I often worked late). The NSA is shooting at him, and the police and trying to block the road (but they can't get through traffic to do it), people in traffic are pissed off at the delay, and others are standing at the side of the road cheering him on.

He just took a bullet to his arm and is about to dump his bike. I'm excited to see what happens next.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Ah...so major action. Can it be both good and bad?
What do you mean? Action is basically 'things happen' so I'm uncertain how you mean to apply your question.
I'm currently doing the outline for a chase scene through Silicon Valley rush hour traffic. MC is on a motorcycle, and the Antagonist is chasing him in a big SUV. The police, drones, and news helicopters are getting involved.

I'm having a great time doing it.
As soon as I get through my current Kindle book I'm picking up one of yours to read. It sounds right up my alley.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
What do you mean? Action is basically 'things happen' so I'm uncertain how you mean to apply your question.

As soon as I get through my current Kindle book I'm picking up one of yours to read. It sounds right up my alley.

Try 'Departure'; it was my third book so it's a better written than the first two.

Riptide

WF Veterans
I get excited when I'm on a writing streak. When I'm writing until the wee hours of the night, knocking things out like tomorrow is too late. Because, lately, it's been a chore to write, but those rare occasions get me so pumped, I remember why I love to do this.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator

Lol...it was in relation to "blowing things up." But I think I get it now after bazz cargos post...it's mostly bad. It's not something I have imagined writing, but I'm thinking about it now. If I could do it in a financial way, that would be fun for my Sequel.

I just finished Departure. Highly recommend it!

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Thinking about the next story I'm going to write halfway through the story I'm currently writing.

Oh yes, I know the feeling! It's harder to do that when you’re writing a novel. However, I already have the sequel and prequel in my head...lol!

Have you thought about the story for your novel yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.