Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

What is your goal with writing? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Do you want to be published whether that be traditional or self one day? Do you just want to improve your writing and have it as a hobby? If you're already published would you be interested in pursuing traditional if your self and vise versa? Curious to know what everyone's personal goal is and why. Seems to be a lot of talent on here that doesn't have any published work yet so I am curious.
I'd like to be traditionally published someday because I don't know how to market and all that. But I don't know if I'll ever get there. 🤷‍♀️

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Global Moderator
Purely a hobby for me. Writing a novel was something I wanted to do for many years but took me way too long to get around to it. I started it last August and, when it's finished, I plan t self publish.

I don't expect to make any money from it as that's not why I'm doing it, I'm just enjoying the writing. That said, if Hollywood comes calling.... :cool:

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Purely a hobby for me. Writing a novel was something I wanted to do for many years but took me way too long to get around to it. I started it last August and, when it's finished, I plan t self publish.

I don't expect to make any money from it as that's not why I'm doing it, I'm just enjoying the writing. That said, if Hollywood comes calling.... :cool:
Yeah, money isn't the first thing that comes to mind. I just want people to read something I wrote and get something out of it.

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
To prove to myself once and for all I wasn't talking out of my arse and I could actually be published. From there on, I'm sure my motives will change ... or I'll crash and burn. Either way, I tried.

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
Traditional or self for publishing?
No disrespect to anyone but I'd consider self publishing a failure on my part. My aim was always to be published the traditional way and that's all that would satisfy me. I will still pursue the self publishing route if traditional publishers don't deem me worthy, but I won't consider it the answer I wanted. I'll still be happy but not fulfilled.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
No disrespect to anyone but I'd consider self publishing a failure on my part. My aim was always to be published the traditional way and that's all that would satisfy me. I will still pursue the self publishing route if traditional publishers don't deem me worthy, but I won't consider it the answer I wanted.
I understand your point of view. I don't wanna deal with marketing and all that stuff and I want to get past "the gate keepers" to see if I am to their standard. Although with 'everything going on' self publishing seems like a good option

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
No disrespect to anyone but I'd consider self publishing a failure on my part. My aim was always to be published the traditional way and that's all that would satisfy me. I will still pursue the self publishing route if traditional publishers don't deem me worthy, but I won't consider it the answer I wanted. I'll still be happy but not fulfilled.
I thought the same for a while, but then it dawned on me quite recently that unless one is an established name, or able/willing/lucky enough to write in a way that is en vogue/marketable, or so absolutely mindbendingly good at storycraft that a publisher would be mad to turn us down (of which I am none, and would consider the latter to be pretty rare) the best hope seems to be to fit a certain demographic. I don't, and I could see time evaporating as I chased what was effectively someone else's dream. That to me is another form of failure, like a failure to understand that the business and I are perhaps not a good match. So self-pub it is. And I'm actually pretty excited. If I changed my work to be more marketable, I would lose that aspect of satisfaction even if I got published. I mean, it would be 'nice', but my day job is equally 'nice'. It would have to far exceed my current salary to be worth it.

So in terms of my goals, my main one is to bring to life the stuff in my imagination. Next would be to see how many people are interested, and get it out there (publishing / self pub)

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
I thought the same for a while, but then it dawned on me quite recently that unless one is an established name, or able/willing/lucky enough to write in a way that is en vogue/marketable, or so absolutely mindbendingly good at storycraft that a publisher would be mad to turn us down (of which I am none, and would consider the latter to be pretty rare) the best hope seems to be to fit a certain demographic. I don't, and I could see time evaporating as I chased what was effectively someone else's dream. That to me is another form of failure, like a failure to understand that the business and I are perhaps not a good match. So self-pub it is. And I'm actually pretty excited. If I changed my work to be more marketable, I would lose that aspect of satisfaction even if I got published. I mean, it would be 'nice', but my day job is equally 'nice'. It would have to far exceed my current salary for it to be worth it.

So in terms of my goals, my main one is to bring to life the stuff in my imagination. Next would be to see how many people are interested, and get it out there (publishing / self pub)
I would deem it a failure of reach more than anything. I'm not against self publishing, it just wouldn't be the answer to my dreams and those that stood in my way either psychologically or physically. For myself I'd want verification my dream was not a delusion. For them I'd want a book to slap on the table in defiance of their twattery. YES I'M ANGRY!

I may well end up self publishing though. First I reach for that rarity.

Cephus

My only goal was ever to write better. Since then, I've had an agent and a traditional writing contract on the table, which I turned down. I've self-published because I wanted control over my work. I'm just enjoying the process and since I'm writing anyhow, I might as well make money at it. That was never my intent but that's just how it worked out.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
My only goal was ever to write better. Since then, I've had an agent and a traditional writing contract on the table, which I turned down. I've self-published because I wanted control over my work. I'm just enjoying the process and since I'm writing anyhow, I might as well make money at it. That was never my intent but that's just how it worked out.
I know one writer on YouTube (Alexa Donn) said she was considering doing self for future projects even though she has 3 traditionally published books now that she has a bit of a fan base.

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
All I want to write is short stories for the time being. It would be considered a hobby because of what I am doing. If I get to win contests it would also be a nice way knowing I wrote something worth the time and effort.
I've never entered a writing contest. Something to consider in the future. I don't think I'm good enough to win anything atm lol

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I started writing a novel because I had a story to tell. Once I started writing it, I realized how much I enjoy just the actual writing aspect of it. So I would say that's my main goal -- to write and keep writing. Fortunately, I have two spin-off stories I want to write as well using many of the same characters, so that should keep me going for a while.

But of course, I want people to read it. I've put a lot of thought and research into how to make that happen. While I like the idea of traditional publishing, I'm not prepared to wait very long. So far, I've not heard of an instance where anyone going this route got fast-tracked through. With help from people on this forum, I've also learned about self-publishing. That looks appealing too. As @Cephus says you have control over your work. AND there is no time delay. So, not sure what route I will pursue, but my short-term goal is to get it finished by the end of summer. Then we'll see...

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
I suspect that anything I might write and complete would, possibly, be too niche for a traditional publisher. That doesn't necessarily mean it would be too good, but I imagine it wouldn't appeal to a wide enough audience for a publisher to make a profit.

But I bet they said that about Trainspotting.

Megan Pearson

I'd like to be traditionally published someday because I don't know how to market and all that. But I don't know if I'll ever get there. 🤷‍♀️

Yeah, me too. Have been reading up on some professional editing agencies lately &, frankly, some of what I read is downright discouraging.

(I mean, the last site I was on actually took a slightly demeaning tone toward those of us who write but who aren't already in the published category. Hey, if they want to focus on commercial accounts -- i.e., ghostwriting for big-name celebrities or editing copy for businesses -- then focus on that & don't disparage the little guy. Besides, I'm fine taking my business elsewhere.)

A couple of years ago, I kept reading how you needed at least 5,000 followers to your platform before a traditional publisher would even look at your work. Recently I saw the number had grown to 50,000. Gee whiz. I think I had 1 professor who actually had a Wikipedia mention (and these guys are published in their academic niche, right?) and I seriously doubt he has that many followers. (He was amazed at the mention!) But I don't think his 'platform' --his blog-- really has all that much to do with his writing.

So, the question becomes, is marketing really about selling your book, or about selling yourself? I write and I want to sell what I write. I sell my time and talent to be employed somewhere else for pay. Sure, there is an element of myself in all that I write. (And I do want to be paid for what I write, too!) But do I really have to achieve some sort of celebrity status before I, myself, am considered a worthwhile enough person to be able to sell what I write?

I think not. The work should stand on its own merit, not on the false authority of some manufactured celebrity status.

Hey, KeganThompson, good luck in your marketing research! There is a lot of info out there, so just keep taking it in & the good folks here can help you think through the adventure!

Jan

I'm in it for the long game. I suppose my "end" goal is to be published traditionally and maybe earn a spot in one my nations writing unions. For now however, I'm comfortable with just having it as a hobby and slowly build my rep and skills from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.